You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Quaffer

A Change of Pace, tell us what you like.

19 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

I'm weary of all of the "Is this the worst..." and "I hate..." so lets mix it up.

Tell us what your favorite map is, and so WarGaming will know what you enjoy, that they may include it in future works, tell us what it is you like about it.

You can find pictures of the tactical maps here, if your memory needs jogged.

As for the change of pace,  lets try to keep it positive.  I know it's against some of our natures, but give it a shot.

• Cool 2

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

Fault Line + Reskins of it.

New Dawn

Two Brothers

North + reskins

Edited by Goose21891

[BLNCE]
Beta Testers
150 posts
8,322 battles

Well, I can't keep it to just one, so:

Faves have got to be New Dawn (all of its various iterations), Haven, Estuary, and Trident. Shards, Land of Fire, and Strait are all maps that I initially hated, but have since grown on me. There are also numerous other little spots on other maps that I especially enjoy, regardless of ship class (e.g. B and C caps on North, C cap on Hotspot, etc. etc.), tho it's entirely possible that these spots don't necessarily denote good map design and that I've just figured out good ways to play these spots.

The things I enjoy most about these maps is that they all encourage various types of gameplay for various types of circumstances. Each of these maps have enough islands to provide players with cover and/or momentary camping and ambush spots without being too constrictive. They also have areas with large stretches of open water for players who'd prefer to keep islands at arms' length. Players not only have access to concealment and hard cover, but are also allowed enough freedom of movement to make concerted pushes, set up ambushes, or provide cover from safety, all while assisting the team as a whole.

None of these maps, at least in my mind, (save for maybe parts of Estuary) devolve into the "corridor shooter" maps that much of the playerbase seems to dislike (looking at you Mountain Range/Tears/Sea of Fortune/others I'm forgetting), nor do they lend themselves to becoming too "campy" (tho they can be played that way if need be). I guess what I enjoy most about these maps is that they encourage dynamism; deliberate, controlled pushes; and movement.

I especially love New Dawn for this. Numerous hidey holes, nice open water for BBs, small enough to allow ships of both low and high-mid tiers to flex out to different parts of the map in support of the team, islands in and around the caps, opportunities for legit one v. one fights (which are all too rare) etc. etc.

• Cool 2

Members
6,587 posts
8,571 battles

Okay, I have a few off the top of my head.

Two Brothers - As much rap as people give this map, I think it's a great map to play on. Good balance of open water and islands for cover. No need to keep check on all 12 enemy ships, as roughly half won't be able to engage you at any given time. I like how it breaks up engagements among the 12 player teams in to smaller skirmishes.

North/Northern Lights - Not much to say about this map, other than it has a good balance of open water and islands for cover. Easy to push caps with the team and bottleneck enemies into traps via the narrow channels in the center caps. Only thing I might not like so much is how isolated D is. It still gets too many BBs running to D and taking guns out of the fight. The islands between C and D should probably be opened up a little, to allow those that do go that way to help the other caps, kind of like how A isn't as restricted when it comes to supporting the center caps.

Haven - Excellent newer addition. Great balance of islands for cover and open water. Avenues of approach that don't feel restricted, and the caps have a feeling of being boxed in, making it feel safer to go in with DDs and not feel exposed to the entire enemy team's fire if spotted.

Maps that I do like, but don't necessarily know what exactly I tend to like about them(Honorable Mentions): Estuary, Land of Fire, Neighbors, New Dawn, Ring, Sea of Fortune, Shards, and Trap.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
Formatting
  • Cool 2

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,653 battles

Faultline, Two Brothers, and New Dawn. Best of the bunch, IMHO...

[GUTS]
Beta Testers
471 posts
10,455 battles

Shatter and Shards are two of my faves.  Islands spread around and not just in a straight line.

And I would like to see Ocean come back.  Let's have at least one map that is realistic.

Edited by Capt_Binkley

Members
3,284 posts

Estuary - It's not too large and I like the amount of cover.

Fault Line - My favorite place by a considerable amount. I think it's nice-looking, and again, I like the amount of cover. It feels right. I hope there are more places that feel like Fault Line in the future. I wish I could convey it better. I'm still relatively new though. I don't understand a lot still.

Land of Fire - I like it, but not as much as I like the other places. Space is broken up pretty well, I think.

Northern Lights - Very pretty. I like the mood of it more than anything else. I like the variety in how the space is broken up as well.

Shards - One of my favorites. There are a lot of places to brawl and whatnot.

Solomon Islands - I wouldn't mind seeing this place at tiers 6 and 7 too, though they may have a good reason for not using it for those tiers. I have no idea.

Strait - I love that they split up the teams into two groups. I think that should be done more often. My second favorite, if only because of that; and again, I wouldn't mind seeing this one at higher tiers.

Two Brothers - I seem to consistently have exciting battles here. I don't really know why though.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
19,139 posts
35,173 battles

Faultline, Two Brothers, Strait, (except when I'm driving a CV,) New Dawn, Estuary in certain cases, Trident, (for a few ships, I love the heck out of Trident/Epicenter,) and; perhaps controvesially; OCEAN.

I learned how to shellbeats my Atlanta on Ocean, and even without any islands, the value of being sneaky on it; so even though I used to hate it; for teaching me how to Atlanta; I like it.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

Members
6,587 posts
8,571 battles
19 hours ago, Hiroe said:

Solomon Islands - I wouldn't mind seeing this place at tiers 6 and 7 too, though they may have a good reason for not using it for those tiers. I have no idea.

There's a very good reason why nothing above T5 sees that map. It's way too small.

A Kongo can already sail to a corner and almost cover the entire map with her gun range(no spotter). Imagine the salt if the 16in gunned Nagato could do the same.

Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

I like Trident with both Domination and Epicenter, and Fault Line/Domination nearly always has a good fun fight for cruisers and destroyers on the C cap right at the start.

Edited by grumpymunky

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

As many of the Forumites may know, I like ALL the MAPS. I might prefer some but the game gives what it gives.

The map given and the Ship (D,C,B or AC) spawn spot determines where I may go. 

I battle/play on the map given & I prefer a team that 'communicates'  & follows a 'plan'.

Then I go on to the next battle.

I would prefer all WoWS players have this sentiment about all the Maps. 

Members
1,684 posts
20,008 battles

I love Haven. Every game I find a new spot or a new angle, I think its great. 

Shatter is also pretty good.

Land of fire is strangely good too. 

Loop is great. 

Islands of ice needs some more islands in the middle of B and it would be perfect.

Estuary is really good too.

I am a cruiser player I like cover. 

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,635 battles

Sorry for defining my likes by my dislikes, but so be it.

I don't like the group of high tier maps that are little more than a band of islands stretching horizontally or vertically acroos the map between the tweo spawns, while leaving no islands or very few outside of this central band.

I like New Dawn because it avoids this. The old Islands of Ice used o be pretty decent in this regard as well. I really wish that they'd return to the old style of Islands of Ice, even if they had to reduce it in size a bit. For what it's worth, I wish that the Islands of Ice was subject to severe weather a LOT more often.

Big Race is also a good map, though I think it should have a max tier of 4, rather than 5.

I think that the Ranked layout of Strait is vastly better than the versions currently used in random battles. In fact, I wish that all 12 ships would spawn in roughly the same place. Why? So that the side channel on the other side of the map was about the same distance from each spawn, thus allowing the other team to have a chance to use the channel immediately N or S of their spawn without the enemy sitting at the mouth of the channel from the start of the battle. In fact, this map might be a little better if it was widened somewhat to facilitate more flanking attacks through the side channels.

I like Estuary and Trident because neither is as obviously a central strip of islands map, and there's room for plenty of gameplay options.

Not really a big fan of tears of the desert in any form.

But my favorite map is Ocean.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Brilliant! We love to hear your positive feedback everyone! What things do you like that you would like to see more of in the future?

[A-D-F]
Members
1,410 posts
14,418 battles
On 7/14/2017 at 5:57 AM, Crucis said:

Sorry for defining my likes by my dislikes, but so be it.

I don't like the group of high tier maps that are little more than a band of islands stretching horizontally or vertically acroos the map between the tweo spawns, while leaving no islands or very few outside of this central band.

I like New Dawn because it avoids this. The old Islands of Ice used o be pretty decent in this regard as well. I really wish that they'd return to the old style of Islands of Ice, even if they had to reduce it in size a bit. For what it's worth, I wish that the Islands of Ice was subject to severe weather a LOT more often.

Big Race is also a good map, though I think it should have a max tier of 4, rather than 5.

I think that the Ranked layout of Strait is vastly better than the versions currently used in random battles. In fact, I wish that all 12 ships would spawn in roughly the same place. Why? So that the side channel on the other side of the map was about the same distance from each spawn, thus allowing the other team to have a chance to use the channel immediately N or S of their spawn without the enemy sitting at the mouth of the channel from the start of the battle. In fact, this map might be a little better if it was widened somewhat to facilitate more flanking attacks through the side channels.

I like Estuary and Trident because neither is as obviously a central strip of islands map, and there's room for plenty of gameplay options.

Not really a big fan of tears of the desert in any form.

But my favorite map is Ocean.

More storms! Not just Islands of Ice. Storms should really muck with the senses. Make fighting in a storm more like, fighting in a storm. More chaos (dispersion of guns, torps & bombs). Shorten sonar range by a percentage. Reduce smoke duration. Servicing of planes takes longer. Impose a small speed penalty based in size, bigger ships affected a bit less. Make onset & subsidence of full storm effects gradual. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,844 posts
30,533 battles

I like Ocean when it comes along, Trap is fun, but my favorite is Solomon Islands. Probably because it is low tier and my favorite ships are there. The rest could use a bit of rock removal for my tastes. 

Someone mentioned having floating icebergs on the map that moved around during the game. That sounds like fun IMHO. Would probably need to be on an open ocean map so they wouldn't hang up on rocks or block players in against islands. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
3,004 posts
13,225 battles

I like all of them honestly, they are really well thought out.

I would really like to see Anzio added as a new map, just off of the Italian coastline. It has a pretty unique coast that would make it's addition really fun!

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I like all the maps. Unaltered in any way. I say "adapt to the map given or die." (that's not really negative, btw).