You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USMC2145

Test 6.7 ranked and cruisers.

28 comments in this topic

Members
1,881 posts
7,191 battles

From what others and myself have noticed playing BB on the PTR ranked... CA are getting annihilated. They get focused hard by the BB and just can not do well in Ranked this tier for some reason. I am not sure if it is the maps, smaller teams or just plain bad CA players but things are not going well for them. If the destroyer/destroyers die it is even worse for the CA. I am just wondering if others here on the forums who have played on test ranked are seeing the same thing.

• Cool 2

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

It is the test server, the "meta" is very different there and player skill varies vastly.

• Cool 1

[BONKY]
Members
731 posts
15,572 battles
59 minutes ago, m373x said:

It is the test server, the "meta" is very different there and player skill varies vastly.

Shadow is correct. It is not the play of the CA but the maps that are being used for ranked on PTR. They are small with the caps close together and they are not very kind to CA. Many of the islands are tall and make it hard for CA to invis fire behind them which makes the CA have to expose themselves. The maps being kind of small make it pretty easy for any decent BB player to just send CA players back to port. 

I have no idea if more maps will be used for ranked when it goes live, but as it stands now CA are having a tough time of it and it is not the fault of the player playing the CA a good share of the time. 

Edited by SeaBreeze_

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

I'm looking forward to T6 ranked. But I am bad and I feel bad, so given what Show Me says it makes sense now.

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles
4 hours ago, m373x said:

You make it sound like actual ranked is a veritable cornucopia of mastercraftsmanship which I'm sure you know it is not at all.  

While ranked is marketed as an opportunity for the best to bring their best to be the best... it's just the same medley of unicum, middlemen and salty garbage we have grown to love in every game mode.

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

I think you missed the last 2 years of posts coming from cruiser players.

Anyways... yes, we are aware.

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles
8 minutes ago, ENO75 said:

You make it sound like actual ranked is a veritable cornucopia of mastercraftsmanship which I'm sure you know it is not at all.  

While ranked is marketed as an opportunity for the best to bring their best to be the best... it's just the same medley of unicum, middlemen and salty garbage we have grown to love in every game mode.

You seem to have misunderstood me, what I wanted to say is that ranked on the test server is very different from the real thing. People play more casually, they rarely smoke allies and just sail in the open shooting at enemy ships. I did the same, I just went there to pew pew with my guns and have some fun. If you don't believe me go and see for yourself.

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

Last season was not good for cruisers either. Gimmicky premiums did okay, but hat was it. Tier 6 will have problems because most of those ships don't really have anything special to bring. In general they aren't even that great at hunting DDs, because they have nothing to see through smoke.  You could make a team of all BBs and DDs and not have a need for a cruiser. 

[0456]
Members
3,945 posts
10,545 battles
18 minutes ago, m373x said:

You seem to have misunderstood me, what I wanted to say is that ranked on the test server is very different from the real thing. People play more casually, they rarely smoke allies and just sail in the open shooting at enemy ships. I did the same, I just went there to pew pew with my guns and have some fun. If you don't believe me go and see for yourself.

I want to believe you but in my experience that sounds just like the actual season.

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,103 battles
1 hour ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

T6 Ranked is bad and should feel bad.

I am afraid I must disagree...

rk1G4py.jpg

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

PTS Ranked mostly consists of players using ships they don't have and don't know how to play. In addition, many clearly haven't played Ranked before and don't know how to take advantage of map features and player-generated advantages.

Common sights on PTS Ranked:

1. Yolociding DDs.

2. Cruisers running off on their own and getting forcused down within minutes.

3. BBs driving straight through defensive screens.

4. Not playing the objective in general.

PTS is a bad way to judge Ranked, and the one interesting lesson of note is the overwhelming preference for IFHE-equipped cruisers. If that carries over as a preferred meta it'll influence BB choices, but that's about it. I don't really see the hordes of IFHE cruisers being much of a thing in NA Ranked. Cruiser play in Ranked has always, always been for the highly skilled, and this season will be no exception.

Edited by Killjoy1941

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,667 battles
2 hours ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Ranked is bad and should feel bad.

Fixed that for you. 

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,103 battles
1 hour ago, Killjoy1941 said:

PTS Ranked mostly consists of players using ships they don't have and don't know how to play. In addition, many clearly haven't played Ranked before and don't know how to take advantage of map features and player-generated advantages.

Common sights on PTS Ranked:

1. Yolociding DDs.

2. Cruisers running off on their own and getting forcused down within minutes.

3. BBs driving straight through defensive screens.

4. Not playing the objective in general.

PTS is a bad way to judge Ranked, and the one interesting lesson of note is the overwhelming preference for IFHE-equipped cruisers. If that carries over as a preferred meta it'll influence BB choices, but that's about it. I don't really see the hordes of IFHE cruisers being much of a thing in NA Ranked. Cruiser play in Ranked has always, always been for the highly skilled, and this season will be no exception.

1. Nope

2. Only saw that once and he ended up taking an unopposed cap and killing 22 planes before he died.

3. Nope

4. Nope

Overall I was impressed by the amount of communication and teamwork I saw in the games I played.  The only real problem was the Russian players who didn't speak the language, but most of them caught on to the plan pretty quickly.

I have cautiously high hope for this season.  

[NET]
Beta Testers
633 posts
8,616 battles

tier 6 cruisers for the most part are pretty weak. the german and russian cruisers have huge citadels. the cleveland has those terrible super slow, and huge arc on its shells, the leander has no HE and short range. ya its gonna be hard to do well for them. tier 6 dds arnt much better off either. 

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

The PT server is an International server.  Thus, you will meet every playstyle from Asia to RU.

That's why the gameplay is so different.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

1. Nope

2. Only saw that once and he ended up taking an unopposed cap and killing 22 planes before he died.

3. Nope

4. Nope

Overall I was impressed by the amount of communication and teamwork I saw in the games I played.  The only real problem was the Russian players who didn't speak the language, but most of them caught on to the plan pretty quickly.

I have cautiously high hope for this season.  

Then you'll love normal Ranked, because it's 10x better. People don't care overmuch about winning on PTS because they're, well... testing things. Usually it's ships they don't have on their normal account, but people often play differently too. PTS Ranked isn't an exception to that.

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

I do believe Tier 6 Cruisers have it a little rough. It's a spot for many where BBs are accurate against them even at their max ranges. Tier 7 was the start of the sweet spot for me where Cruiser range made BB accuracy more tolerable in USN ships.

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles
2 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

I do believe Tier 6 Cruisers have it a little rough. It's a spot for many where BBs are accurate against them even at their max ranges. Tier 7 was the start of the sweet spot for me where Cruiser range made BB accuracy more tolerable in USN ships.

The cruisers have it pretty good at T6. They're faster than everything that's not a DD, the BB dispersion is still atrocious, and it takes BBs forever to get anywhere. Load up in Cleveland or Buddy with IFHE and go to town.

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles
9 hours ago, Canadatron said:

I'm looking forward to T6 ranked. But I am bad and I feel bad, so given what Show Me says it makes sense now.

You're just happy there's no radar. :Smile_hiding:

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles
9 hours ago, Canadatron said:

You're not bad, hit me up in TS buddy. I'm always in FoG and Salt/Sour. Just not on FoG as much because everyone was playing different games. :)

[QC103]
Beta Testers
1,395 posts
16,457 battles

Cruisers are the redheaded step children of ranked battles from what I have seen on the PTS, I drive BBs and cruisers dies a quick and horrible death in rank.

Also "Ranked Battles" is still nothing more then Team Battles.   They will be come Ranked Battles when WG buys a dictionary and looks up the word.

At the end of each battle "Players" not teams should be ranked by their performance regardless of team they are on and advance accordingly.  This will prevent those who do nothing to support the team and hide in the back or are AFK from advancing just because they are on the winning team.  

Either that or, Change the name to Team Battles and call it good.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles
1 hour ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

The cruisers have it pretty good at T6. They're faster than everything that's not a DD, the BB dispersion is still atrocious, and it takes BBs forever to get anywhere. Load up in Cleveland or Buddy with IFHE and go to town.

I'll have to see, but that's what I was thinking. The Molotov, Buddy, Nurnberg, and Leander are going to rock Ranked. Cleveland might do ok because the ranges are shorter so her arcs might not be so much of a factor -- but I expect her lack of torps will be an issue -- any other cruiser can charge her without worry. Aoba? Just no. 

Of course, at short ranges Warspite and Bayern are going to be vicious and Fuso will rain hell on you. I expect Arizona and New Mex to be less useful because of their low speed and long reloads.

It will be interesting to watch the meta sort itself out.  

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

Cruisers have always seemed a little weak and unrewarded in ranked to me. I don't find that, surprising, but I would like to see them rewarded a little bit better for their efforts.

Members
1,480 posts
8,824 battles

Aside from the Belfast, which is just flat-out overpowered, cruisers have not been particularly popular or effective in the last several ranked seasons.  I don't think changing to tier 6 will really effect that.  Tier 6 cruisers are in no better overall position than tier 7 cruisers and are in several ways worse.

Cruisers' speed really doesn't matter much in ranked because of the maps used.  Who cares if you can flex around the map at 35 knots in your Budyonny in a ranked game on Neighbors where the two very high value cap points aren't even 5 km apart?

Cruiser utility at tier 6 is also pretty limited.  Even German Hydroacoustic Search at that tier is only 5.3 km ship acquisition range.  There is no radar.  AA rarely matters at all in ranked because nobody plays CV's.

Even if you value cruiser maneuverability a lot they barely have an edge at tier 6.  Warspite can out-turn every tier 6 cruiser by 100 meters or more.  Even New Mexico has a tighter turning radius than most of the cruisers.  And both of those ships are vastly more durable than any cruiser at their tier with Repair Party, far more hitpoints and well-protected citadels.  Oh, and the ability to just delete any cruiser that gets spotted within 15 km.

Edited by Vaidency