Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WidochMeirker

Hanging up the Shimakaze

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
185 posts
3,359 battles

Well, I'm seriously considering selling my Shimakaze and moving on to a different line of ships.  It's such a depressingly bad boat to get at T10 after grinding all this way.  I don't think I've had a single game that was any fun in this boat yet.  That's not to say I haven't had some decent performing games, but what a horrible boring ship this is.  If there's a mix of radar and carrier in the game, you just go hide in a corner for the first half of the game because it's so sluggish, you don't want to get dropped, and if you try and get close enough to anything to torp it, the radar or planes will either spot you for a one shot kill (really low health pool) or planes will spot your already horrible torpedoes so early that the other ships have a chance to make a pot of coffee, bake a cake and paint a picture of your torps before lazily dodging them as they blow your ship into little parts.

 

This boat is not fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
653 posts
13,839 battles

I find fun out of it. Though you really need to think 3,4 moves ahead of you. Also using rpf you can somewhat counter enemy DD's. But I must say the 2 1:40~2:00 torpedo reload is insane and boring to wait. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,297
[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,451 battles

I disagree. Shimakaze is one of my most used T10s. Sure, it is hit or miss. Either you get CV or lots of radar, or you get a decent game. No middle here. I worry most about a decent CV player in the other side than a Khab. Buffing the torpedo reload time a bit would help.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,113
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

I've recently given Shimy a port slot and instead have been running a Yugumo, which I have decked out with a 19 pt Captain.

(PM; EM,LS; BFT,DE; AFT,CE) This seems to be both fun and competitive.

I am finding her a more enjoyable DD than Shimy,

which is still suffering from the backlash of her power from before the IJN DD torp nerf,

from which she has never recovered.

She is very competitive in all tier matches, and seems to be able to hold her own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,053
[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Radar isn't a huge issue, but CVs can totally ruin Shima gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
619
[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,054 battles

Radar is bad. Planes are worse. If a plane spots your torps at any time, they stay spotted permanently. Why?  I have no idea. But this affects every Tier 10 DD except for the Khabarovsk (which isn't really a DD).

However, Shimkaze's torps are awesome. :D

You can one-shot Tier 10 BBs like a Nikolai taking on an Emerald. Ideally, you want to fire your 15-torp salvo into a group of 2 or more ships.  A couple hits here, a couple floods there, and you stop a push dead in its tracks.  Shimakaze projects presence just like Yamato does. Even better because they know where you were but don't know where you are going. 

Forget those useless 20 km torps. Their detection is so bad, even Grosse Kurfurst can "dodge" them. Besides, past 12 km they are so spread out it just doesn't matter. Plus the possibility of a team-kill is far too high. I did have to give up on the F3 torps because 8 km is just too close with 11+ km Russian radar. The 12 km torps work just fine though. 

I got the Shimakaze after the "horrible" nerfs. Sure some battles are flat out disasters, but others are fantastic. I got my max damage battle of 265k a week or two ago. She must've been as ridiculously imbalanced as the Khab before the nerfs. 

P.S. With the new 12 km torps, Yugumo is fun. I've been playing her with the torp reload booster instead of smoke. Talk about high risk/high reward!  

Edited by Landing_Skipper
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,179
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,557 posts
15,232 battles
35 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Radar isn't a huge issue, but CVs can totally ruin Shima gameplay.

RDF makes flanking very hard too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,113
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles
47 minutes ago, chewonit said:

RDF makes flanking very hard too.

isn't it funny how so many little things make DD play just a little harder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,431
[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

You have only 14 games in the ship, my advice is not to rush your decision but give the ship some time and then sell it if you still insist on doing it. Take a break, review it in 1 week or so, see if things matured a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
692 posts
21,383 battles
14 hours ago, Umikami said:

I've recently given Shimy a port slot and instead have been running a Yugumo, which I have decked out with a 19 pt Captain.

(PM; EM,LS; BFT,DE; AFT,CE) This seems to be both fun and competitive.

I am finding her a more enjoyable DD than Shimy,

which is still suffering from the backlash of her power from before the IJN DD torp nerf,

from which she has never recovered.

She is very competitive in all tier matches, and seems to be able to hold her own.

 

I have fun in both Shimakaze and Yugumo but I prefer Yugumo more. I run almost the same captain except I don't use DE and AFT instead have PT and SE (I run F3's so the shorter gun range makes torpedoing easier)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,113
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles
4 hours ago, Pete_Darling said:

 

I have fun in both Shimakaze and Yugumo but I prefer Yugumo more. I run almost the same captain except I don't use DE and AFT instead have PT and SE (I run F3's so the shorter gun range makes torpedoing easier)

I didn't get AFT for the range, I got it for the AA, which I have put to good use. I can see SE; extra HP is always nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
185 posts
3,359 battles
16 hours ago, m373x said:

You have only 14 games in the ship, my advice is not to rush your decision but give the ship some time and then sell it if you still insist on doing it. Take a break, review it in 1 week or so, see if things matured a bit.

I've played all the way up from T1.  I think I have a pretty good idea of how  this boat compares to my first impressions of the other destroyers.  The ship really isn't very good.  You can't use the 8km torps because of all the radar, RDF and planes coupled with the sluggish turning and slow speeds means you can't get close to anything.  The 12km torps are too easily detected.  I've watched battleships sailing alone react with no trouble to the torps.  I've dodged Shima torps a lot in my cruisers.  They're pretty easy to dodge.  I'm unfamiliar with the German line, but it seems like the weakest t10 destroyer by far.  But beyond that it's just boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,431
[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

I had the exact same feelings when I tried Shimakaze, it felt like such a big downgrade over Yugumo that after 10 games I just quit playing the ship for a long time. I gave it another shot however and now I can really appreciate its strong sides, it is very fast and has excellent handling with massive alpha strike on the torps. I'm not telling you to force yourself to like the ship, just selling it is a rushed decision imo. Take your time off and review it later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
185 posts
3,359 battles

fast and has excellent handling



Are we talking about the same ship?  That's one of the hardest things to get used to is how sluggish it feels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,431
[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Only Khabarovsk (43 knots) and Grozovoi (39.5 knots) are faster than Shima (39 knots) among the T10 dds. The rudder shift is 3s without any rudder upgrades which is the best in this tier. Turning radius is 50m larger than Gearing's (2nd best).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
97
[DD214]
Members
816 posts
44,771 battles

Took the Shima out to kill the 3 US ships for the Philippines Sea flag and made short work of it. It's  good ship and can be a money maker with the premium camo. That said, I've become very fond of the Khab. Both are solid performers, the Khab with heal is very hard to kill and dishes out damage in gunfights. The Shima is the king or area denial and can rack out DMG when the reds bunch up.5946752595227_shima_goodwin.png.f2ef5ed4815be89e7bdbf58203e8d29b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
692 posts
21,383 battles
3 hours ago, m373x said:

I had the exact same feelings when I tried Shimakaze, it felt like such a big downgrade over Yugumo that after 10 games I just quit playing the ship for a long time. I gave it another shot however and now I can really appreciate its strong sides, it is very fast and has excellent handling with massive alpha strike on the torps. I'm not telling you to force yourself to like the ship, just selling it is a rushed decision imo. Take your time off and review it later.

 

That is exactly what I did. I pushed too quickly to get to Shimakaze and when I got it that play style was out of my league (Yes I have never bought through a ship so I had a lot of games to get it). I limited my play in it, just a game or 2 a week if that, then tried different builds to see if I found something that worked better for me. After I backed off and didn't worry about the rewards I focused on the play not the income it finally started to click.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
692 posts
21,383 battles
7 hours ago, Umikami said:

I didn't get AFT for the range, I got it for the AA, which I have put to good use. I can see SE; extra HP is always nice.

 

I actually forgot I changed to the type 93 Mod 2 because they hit a little harder and I was okay with the slower speed. The reason I don't use AFT is because I use my guns A LOT. With the shorter range, especially with the Mod. 2 you can fire your guns and when you get focused (PT) you can back outside of detection and torpedo them. Due to the 5.5km detection, I even went back to the stock gun control system to reduce my bloom by another 1.1km and lets me disengage quicker for the torp run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,113
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles
1 hour ago, Pete_Darling said:

 

I actually forgot I changed to the type 93 Mod 2 because they hit a little harder and I was okay with the slower speed. The reason I don't use AFT is because I use my guns A LOT. With the shorter range, especially with the Mod. 2 you can fire your guns and when you get focused (PT) you can back outside of detection and torpedo them. Due to the 5.5km detection, I even went back to the stock gun control system to reduce my bloom by another 1.1km and lets me disengage quicker for the torp run. 

I can see the reasoning behind your build, but I hate getting taken out by a good CV player, and the less AA you have, the less reason he has not to concentrate on you. I also use my guns often, and I agree the detection penalty (which with my build is 20% more, or even greater?) is severe, but I also run premium consumables and use smoke ruthlessly.

Plus high tier radar with it's 10K average detection range cares not for your firing range (or whether you are behind an island), and I would like to be able to target red ships from beyond their ability to detect me.

Chalk it up to different playstyles; I play very aggressively and often die before a match ends, which is ok for me cuz I play just for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
692 posts
21,383 battles
42 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I can see the reasoning behind your build, but I hate getting taken out by a good CV player, and the less AA you have, the less reason he has not to concentrate on you. I also use my guns often, and I agree the detection penalty (which with my build is 20% more, or even greater?) is severe, but I also run premium consumables and use smoke ruthlessly.

Plus high tier radar with it's 10K average detection range cares not for your firing range (or whether you are behind an island), and I would like to be able to target red ships from beyond their ability to detect me.

Chalk it up to different playstyles; I play very aggressively and often die before a match ends, which is ok for me cuz I play just for fun.

 

I don't think we really play all that different (except smoke, I run premium but only use it to help others and rarely smoke myself) just have a little different sent up to do the same thing. I started with a build like yours and I found myself getting focused for too long. But I'm one of the few people who like the F3's. I do have issues with a good tier 10 CV but it just seems running into one happens so infrequently. I can see smoke and 14km range beating Radar but I've always felt like smoking myself is like saying "HERE I AM" so I try not to. The funny thing I see with Yugumo is the thing can move. Sure you're not fast but when you see your PT hit 8 to 10 and you take 1 chip shot you start thinking "go ahead shoot at me". With the addition of the Type 93 Mod. 2, I was thinking of going back to a range build but I'm not sure I want to give up SE as I don't know how many games I was still doing damage with only 500 hp. Akatsuki and Yugumo are unique IJN DD's that can be all 3 types of DD's but not excel at any. You can exploit the detection and be a Torp boat, buff the guns and be a Gun ship or do a combination of the 2 and be a Hybrid. You can do so much with these ships there really is no wrong build. Yugumo is the reason why I think people have issues with Shimakaze. They expect Shimakaze to be a direct upgrade from Yugumo and it's not, entirely different play style.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
185 posts
3,359 battles
15 hours ago, m373x said:

Only Khabarovsk (43 knots) and Grozovoi (39.5 knots) are faster than Shima (39 knots) among the T10 dds. The rudder shift is 3s without any rudder upgrades which is the best in this tier. Turning radius is 50m larger than Gearing's (2nd best).

You're right, from a numbers standpoint.  I'm just a bit unsure then why it feels so clumsy compared to the previous ship. I ran 8km torps on my Yugi to pretty good effect. But I wouldn't even dream of it on the Shima.  It just feels "off".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,431
[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

It felt clumsy to me in the beginning because it is longer than Yugumo (gotta make space for that extra torp launcher lol) but with time that feeling got away. I'm using 8km on Yugumo as well but they are not suitable for Shima imo so I go for the 12km which I like a lot now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
22 posts
11,836 battles

Hi widochmeirker

Don't sell your Shimakaze. I am a somewhat experienced player in the Shimakaze with 650 battles and with a veteran 19 skill captain in command. She has type 20 camouflage to reduce post battle cost and she has also earned a engine speed boost mod (a rare thing to get) to enable her to steam at max speed (with speed flag) at 44.1 knots for three minutes. She is a beast to learn so take your time. She is quite different to most other DD's in the game.

 

Her specs are:

MAM 1

ASM 1

TTM 3

EBM 1 special upgrade

PM 2

CSM 1

 

Captain skills (assuming you have a 19 point commander available)

PM

EM, LS

SE, TAE

RL (RPF) CE

Chose the 12 km Type 93 Mod 3 for decent range and max damage.

 

With RPF, you can train your guns at the nearest threat to you and be ready for a DD gunfight. The Shima has half decent guns if used properly. If you are charging into the cap with no torps loaded with guns pointed in the wrong direction...you will be sunk quickly. Also just using torps only will make it a boring ship if you are waiting for the longest reload of torps in the game. So...learn to use your guns a bit more.

A Shima is a lone wolf DD and is ideal for flanking and getting behind the enemy. Do not rush cap first thing unless you have a tactical advantage in numbers. move to the flank and get past the enemy DD's I always have great fun torping camping BB's and setting them on fire.

About capping...going in at an angle,pop smoke and pull a 180 degree turn so that your bow is facing away from the enemy. at least you are not broadside to a salvo of torps passing through your smoke.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by Captain_Nessuno
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
185 posts
3,359 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Nessuno said:

Hi widochmeirker

Don't sell your Shimakaze. I am a somewhat experienced player in the Shimakaze with 650 battles and with a veteran 19 skill captain in command. She has type 20 camouflage to reduce post battle cost and she has also earned a engine speed boost mod (a rare thing to get) to enable her to steam at max speed (with speed flag) at 44.1 knots for three minutes. She is a beast to learn so take your time. She is quite different to most other DD's in the game.

 

Her specs are:

MAM 1

ASM 1

TTM 3

EBM 1 special upgrade

PM 2

CSM 1

 

Captain skills (assuming you have a 19 point commander available)

PM

EM, LS

SE, TAE

RL (RPF) CE

Chose the 12 km Type 93 Mod 3 for decent range and max damage.

 

With RPF, you can train your guns at the nearest threat to you and be ready for a DD gunfight. The Shima has half decent guns if used properly. If you are charging into the cap with no torps loaded with guns pointed in the wrong direction...you will be sunk quickly. Also just using torps only will make it a boring ship if you are waiting for the longest reload of torps in the game. So...learn to use your guns a bit more.

A Shima is a lone wolf DD and is ideal for flanking and getting behind the enemy. Do not rush cap first thing unless you have a tactical advantage in numbers. move to the flank and get past the enemy DD's I always have great fun torping camping BB's and setting them on fire.

About capping...going in at an angle,pop smoke and pull a 180 degree turn so that your bow is facing away from the enemy. at least you are not broadside to a salvo of torps passing through your smoke.

Hope this helps you.

I appreciate the advice and based on a few things people have said here I'm going to chance up my play style and see if it helps.  I too got an engine boost upgrade during the clash of the elements event that I put on the Shima.  It's nice I admit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×