Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jaicll

So when do we get missiles?

60 comments in this topic

Members
78 posts
900 battles

Would love a way to kill battle ships for effectively that doesn't require 4 or more people shooting at it with at least 2 of them able to see the broadside.

• Cool 2

Members
78 posts
900 battles
4 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

Uhhhhm... no.

7fb664724eb2b94e0f364df2ff9402ed.jpg

So you are telling me ships didnt have missiles back in the day?

Edited by Jaicll

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,688 posts
14,166 battles

Hood has rockets

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

Even if we have missiles, trust me dear they are gonna be more deadly for your little cruisers and destroyers than the battleships that you wanted to kill so badly.

Missiles usually carries semi-armor piercing warheads. Guess what that means? It means it will wreck destroyers, punch big holes on cruisers and brush off paints on battleship's thick belt armor.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

Members
78 posts
900 battles
1 minute ago, The_first_harbinger said:

Even if we have missiles, trust me dear they are gonna be more deadly for your little cruisers and destroyers than the battleships that you wanted to kill so badly.

not if you make it easy to dodge if you have a good rudder, which means it would only really be able to hit idiots or battleships/cv.

Edited by Jaicll
  • Cool 1

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles
1 minute ago, Jaicll said:

not if you make it easy to dodge if you have a good rudder, which means it would only really be able to hit idiots or battleships/cv.

Missiles are small guided agile projectiles powered by rockets zooming through air, even the lightest ships are steel chucks of hundreds of metric tons, powered by boilers carving through seawater...

You can see why I find dodging missiles in ships unreasonable.

[HINON]
Members
2,642 posts
7,936 battles

npCY1WD.jpg

nope, nope.... all the nope. does this mean AA is replaced by radar controlled CWIS and RAM? CV's get jets.... again.

• Cool 1

Members
78 posts
900 battles
Just now, Ghost_Raven75 said:

Someone needs to get off the internet and go read a History book.

Whats a book?

• Cool 1

Members
5,450 posts
21,049 battles

Missiles hadn't come on line for the period this game is set in. 

They had several forms of rocket artillery back then but those were either fired in mass as an area saturation weapon or like the V1 and V2 bombs which were more like dumb cruiser missiles pointed at a general area and you hope for the best. 

Guided munitions were being researched but were still in development and not reliable. People were testing munitions guided by cats, birds and other animals. Wire guided was being tests along side missiles with cameras transmitting back to early tv screens. But all of this was in development and still a few decades from giving a reliable weapon. 

Besides if you want to sink a Battleship with easy support the Destroyer who is trying to get on their flank. I find feeding BBs large amounts of long metal fish to do the trick. Sometimes I get lucky and down a BB with just One Torp. That is so Fun And Engaging. 

Edited by RedSeaBear

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles
1 hour ago, Jaicll said:

Would love a way to kill battle ships for effectively that doesn't require 4 or more people shooting at it with at least 2 of them able to see the broadside.

Do you need some help, or maybe some tips? Because, there are ways of killing battleships that won't have you resorting to a plea for weapons more advanced then the game's timeframe/s really allows. 

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

These ships are called Destroyers, and the missiles go UNDER the surface.  They are TORPEDOES.

Members
78 posts
900 battles
52 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

These ships are called Destroyers, and the missiles go UNDER the surface.  They are TORPEDOES.

Those little things that never hit anything that bothers to turn once in a while when the ! shows up? Ya they don't do any good. If missiles are to advance how about a dive bomber?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Lawls.

Sure then, so Italy's tier X cruiser can be a refitted Giuseppe Garibaldi! How do you think Polaris missiles will work in game?

In all seriousness, no, missiles are out of the timeline, and as mentioned, they'd be far more deadly to destroyers and cruisers than Battleships. They're really not that effective when it comes to killing heavily armored targets.

Members
221 posts
21,170 battles

I would love me some missile.  We got ships from the 1950's in the game, you can't tell us there was no missiles in the 1950's. 

And it would be nice to have a dive bomber on each ship to send into the battle against battleships. Just one, but totin a 1000 lb potato!

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts
7 hours ago, Jaicll said:

So what part of focused fire and team work fails to appeal to you?

I fear you will not see missiles until you see rail guns and orbital laser strikes. I'm sure you can find a game out there that will provide all that you seek.  I wish you the best of fortune in your pursuit.

[NATO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,640 posts
10,323 battles

Sigh

Missiles as we know them were barely a dream up until the mid 50's. Guidance systems were large, bulky and therefore missiles took up a lot of space, reload process was slow. Guided missile cruisers were a thing in the 60's, but the 50's were ruled by planes. The 50's was a time where jets were king and AA was incapable of dealing with them in the same way AA dealt with planes in the late war era.

Fritz X was a guided bomb, dropped from a plane. Highly effective (see Roma!), but a very specialized weapon.

The only way we will see a missile on a ship is if its Russian  lol

Sign in to follow this