Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ObiphanKenobi

The France Navy Cruiser: FRIANT

15 comments in this topic

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,029 posts
10,589 battles

The France Navy Cruiser

Friant

Quick Summary:   The only low tier cruiser nation that have main guns arranged in turret layout (as it seems so far). Was appreciated by experienced players; but steep learning curve for new players

vn4J7MX.jpg

Cost:  260 000 credits, 2400 ship experiences to research

PROs

• AB-XY turret layout
  • Torpedoes with decent range and excellent firing arcs
  • Good speed and maneuverability (30 knots)

CONs

• Takes heavy damage from hits (even from the bow)
  • Manageable slow main guns reload

REVIEW

Many experienced players would appreciated and play well in the Friant due to her turret layout. The Friant comparing to other cruisers had less guns, she had 8 in total (AB-XY arrangement), while the StLouis 10, the Bogatyr 6 and the Kolberg 12 all arranged in a single mounted turret “pew pew” lay out, therefore yield different playing style and how to commanding the ship. The Friant also is a fast t3 cruiser at 30 knots making her early rush and capture point, knife fight with enemy dd and area denial using her torps arsenals. However, her total HP is minimal so if she got focus fires, and stay detected for too long, she will not last.

KPHB0fM.jpg

Primary Armament

The Friant is armed with 4x2 139 mm, and the AB-XY turret layout meaning that for fully used of her fire power, you need to turn 60 degree to broadside as the XY gun turrets is located at the back of her. However, the dispersion of her shots is 113m at 11.72 km range. Her shells (HE/AP) are good enough to fight off low tier dd, and often cause engine/steering incapacitated.

Her gun performance is fair at t3, with the experienced player, sometime citadel other t3/t4 (hint hint “the phoenix”) nation’s cruisers (excluded the StLouis as I failed to citadel her at closed range, but burn a couple down). However, they truly suffered from the reload time as this is a trademark for France nation ships line.  

Due to her armor is paper thin built, you normally will get very damage to very severe damage. I suggested uses her speed and WASD hack, combined with her 4 x 3 torps (6km) and have some fun.

Secondary Armament

The Friant at low tier not too worry about AA. Make sure if you matched up with a CV in any game, watch your minimap, and WASD hack. At this tier, it is good for you to learn the game mechanics and all the in/out, do and don’t to set up for the France line.

Maneuverability

The Friant top speed is at 30 knots, 560m turning circle and rudder shift time 8.4 sec meaning that you can turn a bit slower than a dd to unleash your torp arsenal from the middle of your ship. This required you to situational awareness that if you expect a dd at any cap point, you need to plan ahead to turn. The Friant loses little speed when you WASD hacking, comparing to T4/T6. This making her felt like "a dd travel at warp speed tight turn; huges 5 knots lost in T4/T6 "

Durability and Defense

The Friant driver need to enjoy the line, have fun, learning the game at this tier. It is a good time to master the WASD hack, the minimap skill, and torping skills. All of these skills will make you a better captain when you going up the line. Of course, The Friant suffered heavily on engine/steering gear in-capacitate when shot at, and with the little HP pool of 20300, you cant afford to stand still and become prime target.

For the new player, Preventative Maintenance and Last Stand ship captain skills would be highly recommended. Expert loader and any support capt skills should be next in line due to: at low tier, you will be facing constantly dd/cruiser, and the extra time switching between different ammunition will make the game more enjoyable.

For experienced player, Preventative Maintenance and Adrenaline Rush should be focus first and then any other skills that you see fit (your own playing style).

And lastly, you can expect to get detonated, recommendation to mitigate this by using the flag Juliet Charlie(-100% of getting detonation)).

How to Kill It

The Friant is a potentially dangerous opponent, she is fast, enough guns and torps to use with. In the hands of an expert player, using her speed and agility, she can get to point quickly, fight and then turn and run away before the rest of the fleet get there

·         In Destroyers: Detect her early and torp her in advance, watch out for her AP. If I was to play game in the Friant, I will use AP to fight any dd, just for the point of the AP can cause frequent engine/steering incapacitated, but my detection is so not worth it if I stick at cap point for too long. She can easily bring at least 2 x 2 guns when “bow on” and a 2 x 3 torps per side. In addition, her speed will make her a very frustrating target to strike with torpedoes.  If she gives you her broadside at ranges of less than 10km, fire AP from her first gun turret to get her citadels. 

·         Plying Cruisers: be aware of her very large detection radius (11.34 km). Any opportunity you get to fire AP into her soft armor, should be taken care of her. Be aware of and respect her torpedo armament (6km range/57 knots/very comfortable fire arc torp too) and don't take her 139 mm turret lightly. If you see the Friant begin to make a turn, due to her torp arrangement right in the middle of the ship, you can predicted/assumed/knowing that torps are in the water. This is also a perfect opportunity to citadel her full broadside

·         Battleships driver: keep the distance away from 6 km, once you're inside the range torpedoes will likely be in the water. Stick with AP rounds no matter what aspect she gives you.  At medium to close ranges, your AP will obliterate the poor armor values of this fragile cruiser.
·         Lastly Carriers: should treat her similarly to any cruiser. If you are playing low tier CV, use the auto cross-drop. Keep her spotted for ally ships to focus fire/and or ping her on the map and she will be sunk first

Overall Impressions

Playing the Friant is like I am at home because of her turrets arrangement. At her tier, since most of the experienced players already familiar themselves. This will also teach you at the very early stage if you are a new player, how to play the game in the turrets lay out. She is fast and alright to WASD hacking plus her arsenals to bear down any close range dd, any cruiser up to and included the Omaha (I can citadel and severe damage her).  

With her current guns’ velocity, she can citadel Omaha/Pheonix if you take aims. She had more than enough torps’ arrangement so for the knife fight and the speed to escape when required to do so.

She can fend off dd (travel faster than dd), frustrated them with her speed and area denial capacity, sometime if aim and time correctly, the Friant can multiple in-capacitate the dd engine and steering.

She can citadels most other nation cruiser t4/t5, but for exception of the t3 StLouis, as I had not yet able to citadel her while playing the Friant. Play smart when facing any bb and scared them with your torp, remembered the Friant had 4 x 3 with the 6 km range. Switch ammunition accordingly and start learning the minimap skill. She can also keep distant and HE spam with the help of capt skills and flags to deal high damage over time.

Recommended Modules:

·         Your first slot is easy: Main Armaments Modification 1 is the only one that makes sense (it help with the torp tubes too).

·         For your second slot: Damage Control System Modification 1. It help in combination of repair consumable

Recommended Consumables:

At this early stage, used premium repair consumable (???? derp! ).

Recommended Captain Skills:

·         For tier one: Preventative Maintenance should be one of the first skills you grab. -30% chances of any of the module incapacitated when fire upon. Expert Loader for quicker time (-50%) when switch between HE/AP

·         For tier two: Expert Marksman – you going to wiggle a lot so this will help your gun turrets transverse quicker

·         For tier three: Demolition Expert is probably your best choice.  Low tier increasing the fire chance of your HE shells.

·         For tier four: there aren't very many good choices. Concealment Expert is the best option. I like to surprise their dd when I rush to cap point or survive a little longer

• Recommended Flags:
    • Indian  X-Ray or Victor Lima to increase your fire chances (only after your capt skill obtained Demolition Expert)
    • Juliet Charlie to mitigate the Indian X-Ray detonation
    • Sierra Mike for 5% speed boost (if you wanted a different playing style experiences)
    • Any other XP flags to your liking

• Recommended Camouflage:

I like it with anything that at least have -3% to detection, +4% to enemy dispersion when shooting at you + any other extra bonus

xCPhKqS.jpg

ckjbkiQ.jpg

reOqn6I.jpg

xXchg27.jpg

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
3,511 posts
6,034 battles

I have a few disagreements with this writeup, but impressive effort nonetheless!

Firstly, Friant is just as forgiving(or unforgiving?) as the rest of the tier 3 cruisers in that she also almost never eat citadels(unlike St.Louis), alright-ish shell arc(tenryu and 152 Bogatyr) and burns merrily(lol sub 10mms of hull plating all around), in fact, since she's fast she's actually more forgiving in that Friant can adjust to errors in positioning even quicker.

Secondarily, about the "how to kill it" part:

destroyers: Watch out for Friant's HE. If a Friant is shooting AP at you, you should feel lucky. AP will most likely overpen and have a lowered chance of module incapacitations. If you are spotted already don't bother with torpedoes, just spam HE at her paper thin hull--no HE shell in the game can manage to shatter on the hull plates of Friant. 105mm+ AP can also overmatch her bow so if Friant insists on chasing you you can try a little AP.

cruisers: Just push on and kill her. Friant has the lowest dpm among tie 3 cruisers, and she takes the most damage thanks to the giant un-armored hull. Just spam HE, and if you are Dresden or Kolberg spam AP, since 105mm can overmatch Friant's bow and deck and your high shell arc and small caliber should prevent overpens. Just don't let her hide behind islands, her arc is quite high and can certainly pull off a troll or two.

battleships: The most frustrating class against Friant, not in that she's hard to deal with, but it's just that against Friant you have to switch to HE and waste your damage potential. Yes her HE hurts quite a bit and she can set some fires, but she's not in any way more deadly than other tier 3 spammers like St. Louis and Bogatyr. Her torps are a thing to look out for but they are so slow that unless you get greedy and refuse to change your course you won't eat more than one or two torps before you send the Friant to the bottom.

carriers: No self-respecting players spam random battles with tier 4 carriers be honest.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,911 posts

Smells like you're trying to Mouse the standard tree ships

[RLGN]
Members
9,098 posts
18,368 battles
On 6/16/2017 at 9:42 PM, The_first_harbinger said:

carriers: No self-respecting players spam random battles with tier 4 carriers be honest.

Just in Co-op, with Langley and a 15 point captain, (my 19 point CV driver resides in Ranger,) why? Because I can; and because I like using carriers in a mode where I can actually make some kind of difference, (unlike Randoms; where unless you're some CV unicum there's no point to even bothering to play CVs because of everything that screws them over.)

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,029 posts
10,589 battles

Smells like you're trying to Mouse the standard tree ships

I am enjoying the France line so far.

Members
5 posts
13,809 battles

i disagree on the AP at dd's . i liked the ship and still have it in my arsenal . rate of fire is not my cup of tea though to slow not enough bang for your buck. good agilitiy but not great.

have fun out there guys

[SPTR]
Members
26,259 posts
11,563 battles

Friant seems like a very good tier 3 light cruiser I wonder would it be worth to replace my well armed  sluggish St. Louis with this French ship for those time where I need to run tier 3 for example in a division?

[POP]
Members
1,220 posts
15,845 battles

good write up though I have not played much in my MN ships however I found them to be quite fun and there AP shells quite devastating scoring many citadel's on opponents ship's.

When I get some spare time away from my KM ships I will be looking forward to moving up the French line.

regards 

Edited by tm63au

Members
183 posts
3,916 battles
1 hour ago, CBSDracster said:

French

French Navy

Known as the Marine National.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,583 battles

I tested the ship out with BFT and AFT.  With the 2 traits the reload is 10.8 seconds with a 15.1km range.

With this ship's speed and that range you'd think she'd be untouchable at range and pelting with good, long range fire but the shells float in the air quite a bit.  Kind of reminds me of using Baltimore and Des Moines in shooting at targets with the range upgrades.

• Cool 1

Members
640 posts
3,917 battles
On 6/16/2017 at 9:17 PM, ObiwankzKenobi said:

The only low tier cruiser nation that have main guns arranged in turret layout (as it seems so far).

Bogatyr and Oleg beg to differ.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,029 posts
10,589 battles
21 minutes ago, BrentD15 said:

Bogatyr and Oleg beg to differ.

The Bogatyr gun lay out as 1x2 front turret and 1x2 aft turret, and 2 of 4x1 on each side ..... the way to play her is totally different from the Friant. Let for argument sack, focus on the gun lay out for now; the Friant guns lay out is similar lay out of higher tier cruiser as meaning of symmetric lay out for example the USN cruiser up to tier6 the Cleveland, the German cruiser Konigberg, therefore there are minority of players who had played higher tier will find playing the Friant easily.

Also, at the time of writing, i dont have the Oleg to play with, let alone to compare it. But, checking the wiki as of now gun turret lay out similar to the Bogar as 2 of  1x2 front and aft then single mounted turret.

[SPTR]
Members
26,259 posts
11,563 battles

https://replayswows.com/replay/3714#stats was versing bots a long time ago because of the lacking players in the random battle queue and was really fun to have multiple torp launchers at the ready since bots just cluster up in the middle of the map(cap B) /^.\\  

Sign in to follow this