Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Abo89

I wonder

30 comments in this topic

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Do matches really come down to the play of 1 or 2 players? Played 7 matches tonight and won 3. Even with 42% WR ( I had two horrible matches with my Farragut which is out of the norm, ill take big responsibility for those loses )ended up with like a 1200+ WTR and almost top of the team almost every match. I know I'm not good enough to carry quite yet, if ever. I'll probably ever be a Unicum in division play. To the point though. Do you essentially have to have at least 1 great player on your team to realistically win?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,731 posts
26,569 battles

Often, yes.

Beta Testers
653 posts
13,839 battles

Sometimes... and sometimes the potatoes are left... in a corner... at A1... in Tier X.... Time to whip out my DD's

But anyhow having 1 good player really does win you a battle. Cause they spot better or choose targets better or deal 400K in a Leander.

Edited by yamatotamura

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Often, yes.

It's odd to me how random, random can me. I don't wear the tinfoil hat, but I can totally get why sometimes people think matches are guided. Two games in a row our team were subject to immediate detonations. Honestly though I do wish there was a training period you had to do to understand the game. I'm sure that would drive players off though. Ultimately matches are often rolls because ppl just don't know what they are doing. 

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
3 minutes ago, yamatotamura said:

Sometimes... and sometimes the potatoes are left... in a corner... at A1... in Tier X.... Time to whip out my DD's

I can't say much as I was first blood ( one of the Farragut matched, at least I was bottom teir) but one match we had 2 BBs and a CA go straight to D10. The entire enemy team went to the other side of the match. Between that and my death, it was essentially a 12 v 8 from tge jump. Wanna guess who won lol? Things like that just make me scratch my head

Edited by Abo89

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

MM is not rigged.

Better players carry games.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

MM is not rigged.

Better players carry games.

Didn't say it was? I actually argued the opposite. Personally I think I'm dying too soon and being to aggressive even though I often do decent numbers. Normally the longer I survive the better my chances of pulling a win. I'm currently between a great contributer and a carrier.

Members
5,597 posts
7,121 battles

I wonder sometimes about MM, not gonna lie.

It's funny that individuals are suppose to carry in a team based game.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
Just now, Wulfgarn said:

I wonder sometimes about MM, not gonna lie.

It's funny that individuals are suppose to carry in a team based game.

Won't happen, but wonder what the effect of reduced alpha striking would do.

Members
3,284 posts

Well.. realistically.. there are often no great players around.. and still one side wins. If you want to consistently engineer victories, however, then it's more or less required, as far as I can see, that you either have a great player on your team - in your division, preferably - or that you, yourself, are a great player.

Members
385 posts
16,322 battles
16 minutes ago, Abo89 said:

Do matches really come down to the play of 1 or 2 players?

Yes, but not in the way you think it would. Its usually those two or three fools who die way too early in  the match that will sink a teams chances. I would much rather have a team full of solid players than a team with a unicum player & several others who sail broadside the whole game or attack when they should be trying to survive with low hp...

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
Just now, Hiroe said:

Well.. realistically.. there are often no great players around.. and still one side wins. If you want to consistently engineer victories, however, then it's more or less required, as far as I can see, that you either have a great player on your team - in your division, preferably - or that you, yourself, are a great player.

I think of myself as a good player, above average but I still feel that I rarely have an effect on the match, aside from cap control. Idk just joined a clan but honestly I just wish I had some friends to hop on with when I can.

Members
84 posts
2,760 battles

Due to MM & the "randomness" of Random Matches, I don't worry too much about my W/L. That being said, if I ran with a group of division regulars and we know each other's playing style well, I would bother with what my w/l is.  That being said, yes, one or two good players can carry a match but it won't guarantee a win. 

Edited by Tecelote
bad spelling fixes

[RLGN]
Members
19,152 posts
35,195 battles

To paraphrase some Greek dude, and a forum participant's siggy;

"One player out of every twelve shouldn't even be there; seven of the twelve are just targets, and three of the twelve are real fighters.

But the one; the last one out of every twelve; they are the true genius with the potential to bring about victory.'

Members
3,284 posts
Just now, Abo89 said:

I think of myself as a good player, above average but I still feel that I rarely have an effect on the match, aside from cap control. Idk just joined a clan but honestly I just wish I had some friends to hop on with when I can.

My aim for the early stages of the battle is to survive. That's my aim because I want to be around for the later stages, where individual ships can make a greater difference (and also where there's an increased likeliness of "melee," which is fun). If you want to have a greater effect on the battle then do what you can to survive early on. Don't play so passively that your presence isn't felt though. Do what you can do safely. That's my two cents.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
Just now, Hiroe said:

My aim for the early stages of the battle is to survive. That's my aim because I want to be around for the later stages, where individual ships can make a greater difference (and also where there's an increased likeliness of "melee," which is fun). If you want to have a greater effect on the battle then do what you can to survive early on. Don't play so passively that your presence isn't felt though. Do what you can do safely. That's my two cents.

Yea I think that's probably good advice. My favorite win today though was when I died in my Cleveland the first 5 minutes but did 40k damage and shot down 22 planes. Luckily we won.

Members
3,284 posts
2 minutes ago, Abo89 said:

Yea I think that's probably good advice. My favorite win today though was when I died in my Cleveland the first 5 minutes but did 40k damage and shot down 22 planes. Luckily we won.

I know that feeling. It's a nice feeling.

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

My advice? Stay at tier 6-7 long enough to encounter radar and learn how to deal with it, because if you have any intention of playing high tier, and you haven't learnt how to deal with radar you'll find yourself back to port in the opening minutes.

Alpha Tester
1,247 posts
4,975 battles

One or two players can clutch it, but from what I've witnessed it has more to do with how your team and the enemy team positions themselves in the first three minutes of the match that dictates who is going to win. For instance those who stay in whatever side of the map they spawned in on Straits tend to do better than the team that runs to the middle or down the edges. Same can be said for the team on two brothers that covers both sides of the map and doesn't lemming train in a large circle around the map. Teams that tend to disperse in a logical manner will win more often then not, some players just find themselves lucky enough to capitalize on being in the right place at the right time and rack up a decent kill/damage count.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
Just now, aAkula said:

My advice? Stay at tier 6-7 long enough to encounter radar and learn how to deal with it, because if you have any intention of playing high tier, and you haven't learnt how to deal with radar you'll find yourself back to port in the opening minutes.

What do you mean? I play in the Sims and I regularly get up tiered to tier 9 matches. I'm not sure what this has to do with the overall thread though. 

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

Skill makes a difference. 

The key is one's ability to OVERCOME the proverbial "bad deal" on match making.  An average player, being "average", will not (in general) pull the team up, or push the team down.  Average player, with average play and other average players, breeds average win rates.

On the other hand, a player who has the skill to push a below average team (relative to the MM) to the win side will achieve wins on games that would have otherwise been a loss.  Sometimes the MM deficit is simply too much to overcome, so even unicum players will experience a certain share of defeats.  But there will be a certain percentage of wins that would otherwise have been a loss.  The more skillful a player is at pushing his team from a bad MM to a win is reflected in that players win rate.  This is also a function of tier and ship, and divisions (see note).

A below average player that finds himself on the bad side of MM will, in almost 100% of the cases, be on the losing team.  The below average player will still see wins because a certain percentage of games will be favored on his team by a percentage greater than his "below average" play.  Or his team will have a unicum player that can make up for his below average play.  In effect, sometimes MM has a big enough delta, or a team has a unicum or two, that can win no matter what some players do, to include being AFK.

Note:  A division must have an average skill above the MM average to have a positive effect on the win.  A potato player divisioned with two unicums (that can make up for potato play and more) will see his win rate improve.  A collective potato division won't do much to help win rate and might even make it worse if one or two of the potatoes would have been placed by an average of better player during the MM. 

Members
3,681 posts
8,111 battles

Yes, this game has become increasingly polarized, more and more rewarding for the experienced and punishing for the inexperienced. 

For example, tier 8 Mikhail Kutuzov if used well can park and smoke in front of an lemming train and hold a flank with three smoke charges as long as there's somebody spotting, but most of the time people runs her with only one or two and dies to one or two bb gun slam in the first 9 minutes.

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

Just a point of order, chances are the golden child player already made the critical difference; enought to where the two potatoes survived with him/her.

Alpha Tester
1,247 posts
4,975 battles
9 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

This is a dangerous mindset. I can respect knowing when to avoid a push and knowing when to withdraw but often those with the 'must survive' mentality are the ships that cluster in an area of the map where they serve no practical purpose or stay at the very edge of their range. It infuriates me to no end when I see a battleship or cruiser who makes it to the last five minutes of the match with no damage taken because they hadn't gone very far from their spawn point or because they found an out of the way island to hide behind until they feel confident enough to mop up the few remaining ships. 

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles
1 minute ago, KingCakeBaby said:

This is a dangerous mindset. I can respect knowing when to avoid a push and knowing when to withdraw but often those with the 'must survive' mentality are the ships that cluster in an area of the map where they serve no practical purpose or stay at the very edge of their range. It infuriates me to no end when I see a battleship or cruiser who makes it to the last five minutes of the match with no damage taken because they hadn't gone very far from their spawn point or because they found an out of the way island to hide behind until they feel confident enough to mop up the few remaining ships. 

I don't think that's exactly what they meant. 

Sign in to follow this