You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Doll

Call It Now! Tier 6 Ships That You Believe Will Not Live Up To Expectations In Ranked

107 comments in this topic

Members
522 posts
15,990 battles

There has been a lot of discussions concerning the ships that would be the "best" to take into Ranked 6. So let's now get the predictions out there as to which tier 6 ships you think will not live up to everyone's high expectations. Here is my list with explanations.

Battleships

Bayern: I remember at least one CC arguing that the Bayern was the best tier 6 battleship in the game when it was first released, . Personally, I think Bayern will let people down in ranked. Sure, it can take a hit or two, but her guns are far from consistent. Other BBs, like the NM, Arizona, Fuso, and Warspite have much better accuracy. Further, the Arizona seems just as "tanky" as the Bayern. I think a lot of players will be drawn to the Bayern, but will find its guns are just too limited in a ranked setting.

Cruisers

Graf Spee: The Spee is a one trick pony: it can kill cruisers. But other than killing cruisers, the Spee is limited warship. It's not a great AA platform that can protect its fleet. The Spee is not the best anti-DD cruiser as it's reload is much to slow to effectively kill DDs. Finally, it lacks sufficient armor to go toe to toe with BBs. If past ranked seasons is any indication, cruisers, and cvs, will be the least played class of warship, leaving the Spee without much of a purpose.

Duca: In full disclosure, I've purchased a lot of premium ships, but there is only ship I truly regret purchasing: Duca. Sure, it's got 12 KM torps. But god, are the guns awful. If BBs see the Duca trying to kill DDs, they should just delete this steaming pile of garbage from the game.

Destroyers:

Farragut: The Farragut is an attractive ship because it can puff out the largest smoke cloud to protect a fleet. Since many people are predicting a "smoke meta," the Farragut appears to be a great choice for DDs. But I ask, other than smoke, what does the Farragut bring to the table? It's torpedoes are far too short ranged to flush the other team out of its smoke. It's guns are okay, but hardly spectacular. It can win a gun duel against IJN DDs, but struggles against the Russian and German DDs. I think DDs players are going to be the first to shout "play to win" as the Anshan becomes everyone's favorite DD.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Molotov, I see a lot of people talking the ship up but they forget a major point. The ship is optimized to wreck cruisers, it has strong AP and high speed. Against BBs, DDs, and CVs there is another VMF CL that works better.  

[HINON]
Privateers
6,266 posts
3,405 battles

My ships. 

• Cool 6

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Best ships I have for ranked are:

AZ, Dunkerque, Cleveland, Anshan.

Why Cleveland. Most gun fights in ranked are well under 10km most times. Ranked are not long range sniper fests. Cleveland is the tankiest cruiser at tier 6. In a close range brawl I will take a Cleveland any day and twice on Sunday over the floating citadel called Molotov. Anshan, well I could get back Farragut, but I don't have a good skipper and I'm not retraining.

Anshan is plenty good enough to mix it up.  BBs well those two are solid.

[CREDO]
Members
2,457 posts
9,231 battles
10 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

My ships. 

I concur.

however, unlike you, with your amazing specialness, even if they super-buff whatever ship I elect to re-purchase just for ranked, right before ranked starts, so everybody will have one with a 21 pt captain, I will find a new and creative way to suck in it. I am not referring to average suckage, either! I will find a way to suck far worse than any captain has discovered prior to my ultra-suckage.

river, I apologize for my over-use of hyphenated pseudo words, that didn't need to be hyphenated, and also my lack of capitals. it was not intended to irritate you, nor defile your astounding 'how to write an awesome post' post.

Edited by not_acceptable

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles
16 minutes ago, Captain_Doll said:

There has been a lot of discussions concerning the ships that would be the "best" to take into Ranked 6. So let's now get the predictions out there as to which tier 6 ships you think will not live up to everyone's high expectations. Here is my list with explanations.

Battleships

Bayern: I remember at least one CC arguing that the Bayern was the best tier 6 battleship in the game when it was first released, . Personally, I think Bayern will let people down in ranked. Sure, it can take a hit or two, but her guns are far from consistent. Other BBs, like the NM, Arizona, Fuso, and Warspite have much better accuracy. Further, the Arizona seems just as "tanky" as the Bayern. I think a lot of players will be drawn to the Bayern, but will find its guns are just too limited in a ranked setting.

Cruisers

Graf Spee: The Spee is a one trick pony: it can kill cruisers. But other than killing cruisers, the Spee is limited warship. It's not a great AA platform that can protect its fleet. The Spee is not the best anti-DD cruiser as it's reload is much to slow to effectively kill DDs. Finally, it lacks sufficient armor to go toe to toe with BBs. If past ranked seasons is any indication, cruisers, and cvs, will be the least played class of warship, leaving the Spee without much of a purpose.

Duca: In full disclosure, I've purchased a lot of premium ships, but there is only ship I truly regret purchasing: Duca. Sure, it's got 12 KM torps. But god, are the guns awful. If BBs see the Duca trying to kill DDs, they should just delete this steaming pile of garbage from the game.

Destroyers:

Farragut: The Farragut is an attractive ship because it can puff out the largest smoke cloud to protect a fleet. Since many people are predicting a "smoke meta," the Farragut appears to be a great choice for DDs. But I ask, other than smoke, what does the Farragut bring to the table? It's torpedoes are far too short ranged to flush the other team out of its smoke. It's guns are okay, but hardly spectacular. It can win a gun duel against IJN DDs, but struggles against the Russian and German DDs. I think DDs players are going to be the first to shout "play to win" as the Anshan becomes everyone's favorite DD.

Counterpoint on the Farragut.

>It can easily and totally dismantle any of the other Tier 6 DDs at the knife-fight ranges that you have in Ranked. It is outright superior in a close in gun fight to both German and Russian DDs.

Counterpoint to the Bayern: Her Guns are fine within 13km which is great, because that's the ranges you'll be engaged in, not to mention the ability to Bow-on against everything that isn't a Warspite is more important. 

The Bayern can go bow towards on the Az, and the rest (not Warspite) with no issue, and can penetrate them frontally. Finally you have Secondaries which will help out against other objects. Furthermore, being immune to getting Citadeled in her is a pretty nice thing, something the rest can not claim.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,482 posts
22,290 battles
6 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

Counterpoint on the Farragut.

>It can easily and totally dismantle any of the other Tier 6 DDs at the knife-fight ranges that you have in Ranked. It is outright superior in a close in gun fight to both German and Russian DDs.

The Farragut will only dismantle Russian and German DDs in knife fights run by incompetent captains. Last season, I wrecked many a Sims with my Leningrad in ranked. The story will be the same here with Anshan (and Gnevy) versus Farragut in a knife fight.

Members
522 posts
15,990 battles

It can easily and totally dismantle any of the other Tier 6 DDs at the knife-fight ranges that you have in Ranked

But it will require the Farragut to find a situation where she is one on one with the other DD at close range. First contact between two fleets competing for the same cap usually involves the BBs and Cruisers. If each team caps, then the Farragut will be left attempting to find the other DDs. Plus, to maintain it's smoke screen for it's team, the Farragut will keep going back to it's fleet. Remember, BBs at tier 6 are slow. So in short, toi accomplish it's anti DD mission, the Farragut will need to advance ahead of it's fleet, potentially leaving the fleet without it's smoke screen.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles
10 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

The Farragut will only dismantle Russian and German DDs in knife fights run by incompetent captains. Last season, I wrecked many a Sims with my Leningrad in ranked. The story will be the same here with Anshan (and Gnevy) versus Farragut in a knife fight.

The Farragut isn't a Sims. And it isn't fighting a Leningard.

So that's a thing, and aren't even important.

The Farragut has 5 Faster firing similar Damage output (sans Fire) and is more agile. 

You seem to have forgot that the Farragut has a higher DPM than the Mahan and Sims..for some reason.

[4FLUF]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,482 battles

the Anshan

I think it's turret traverse is going to be a liability in the cap circle.

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles

Bayern didn't do great last t6 ranked. 

My prediction for this next ranked season will be HE spam at range until one team collapses.  So fuso will out perform bayern.  

That being said I think BBs in General will be the surprise under performers.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles
2 minutes ago, StoneRhino said:

Bayern didn't do great last t6 ranked. 

My prediction for this next ranked season will be HE spam at range until one team collapses.  So fuso will out perform bayern.  

Battleships have always under-performed in Ranked.

It's a DD fest. And Spamming HE out of a Fuso is a great way to not do much of anything.

As well as The Warspite will rofl-stomp her if they want to play the range game, as well the Arizona.

Members
522 posts
15,990 battles

I think BBs will do just fine. Tier 6 BBs are maneuverable and tier 6  DD's torps don't have the best range. DDs like the Farragut will have to be detected before they can fire their torps.

I also think cruisers will have a larger role at tier 6 given that most of the BBs will be operating sub 25 knots.

Members
493 posts
7,065 battles

Just to play devil's advocate, but I've had some matches where I got into late game 1 vs 1 duels against DD's while in my Graf and won.  I won because Hydro makes a big difference in being able to dodge torps, especially with Vigilance.  And HE rounds tend to knock out torps, guns, steering, and engines.  It's all about maximizing vigilance/hydro, but staying close enough to not miss

As for BB's, I've had a very recent game where a Dunkirk showed me broadside and I got two 10k salvos back to back.  That's not chump change coming from a cruiser.

It also has very good torpedo angles.

The thing with the Graf Spee, I am not consistent with it.  I have huge games, or I get deleted.  It doesn't seem to have any middle ground.  And CV's love to attack it.  So I will probably only play it if my Leander or Farragut is not available.

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts
1 hour ago, Captain_Doll said:

Battleships

Cruisers

Destroyers:

Sorry, its not the ship, it's the Captain.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles
20 minutes ago, Captain_Doll said:

I think BBs will do just fine. Tier 6 BBs are maneuverable and tier 6  DD's torps don't have the best range. DDs like the Farragut will have to be detected before they can fire their torps.

I also think cruisers will have a larger role at tier 6 given that most of the BBs will be operating sub 25 knots.

Varies some, you can fire your torpedoes off from stealth if you see the Battleship advancing on you in the farragut with CE.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Not 100% sure but think the Arizona might let some down.  It'll do great early game with the long range accuracy but if a Bayern or a Warspite get to brawl range in the late game and start sending shells through the nose...  But that's just my un-informed opinion. 

[A-D-F]
Members
1,482 posts
22,290 battles
32 minutes ago, Sakuzhi said:

The Farragut isn't a Sims. And it isn't fighting a Leningard.

So that's a thing, and aren't even important.

The Farragut has 5 Faster firing similar Damage output (sans Fire) and is more agile. 

You seem to have forgot that the Farragut has a higher DPM than the Mahan and Sims..for some reason.

Sorry, but you need to look up your ship stats again.

Farragut suffers from the same problems that Sims has and has it even worse. It is slower at 36.5 knots vs 38.5 for Sims. The rudder is exactly the same at 2.7 secs. This means the Farragut is actually worse at dodging shells with its slower speed.

For offense, it has a slower reload than the Sims at 4 seconds vs 3.34 of the Sims, and even with one more gun, it is still the same terrible slow shell and arc as the Sims.

Therefore, it is exactly the same situation as Leningrad versus Sims. Any competent Russian destroyer captain will easily beat the Farragut in a knife fight.

On top of that, Leningrad and Sims had the same minimum detection at 6.6 km. Minimum detection for Farragut is worse than it's competition at 6.6 km versus 6.3 km (Anshan) and 6.1 km (Gnevy) and is exactly the same as the Gaede so it actually has a disadvantage or is on equal terms with the competition.