Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
InclinedToRun

Uss Ranger(cv-4) Why the hate?

25 comments in this topic

[NULL]
Members
112 posts
3,457 battles

Why do people frequently whine about this ship?  I don't have too many games, somewhere around 7, but I have loved every game in it, I use the stock flight module and have everything else upgraded.

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Why do people frequently whine about this ship?  I don't have too many games, somewhere around 7, but I have loved every game in it, I use the stock flight module and have everything else upgraded.

On average, she performs the lowest of all tier 7 carriers. That said, there are people with 70 or 80% winrates in her.

If you can make her work.... more power to you, tell the haters to get stuffed xP

[NULL]
Members
112 posts
3,457 battles

The Ranger has pretty rubbish loadouts 

But that's part of the fun of the US line, making the bad stuff work to extremely high levels!

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Grind to the Lex and share your experience with the Ranger...only this time Kaga is in the picture now.

[NULL]
Members
112 posts
3,457 battles

Grind to the Lex and share your experience with the Ranger...only this time Kaga is in the picture now.

The kaga is honestly free food for both my ranger and Saipan it is just so easy to dominate that it feels like seal clubbing

[RLGN]
Members
19,268 posts
35,726 battles

The Strike loadout only works against fools; and Air Superiority only works until the rest of your team fails to deliver, and the Reds come to kill you.

Like with Bogue and Independence; Stock is the only loadout on Ranger I've had any success with.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

On average, she performs the lowest of all tier 7 carriers. That said, there are people with 70 or 80% winrates in her.

If you can make her work.... more power to you, tell the haters to get stuffed xP

Exactly.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
226 posts
11,899 battles

1/1/1 is decent.

2/0/2 i love it for farming clear skies.

0/1/3 is workable but very susceptible to being sniped and/or dominated by Saipan.

I actually wish that Ranger's and Lady Lex's strike would be 1/0/3 (or 1/0/4) because when i am strike i usually attack in waves one after another with a delay of like 10-20 sec between bombing runs to make them burn for as long as possible.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

1/1/1 loses the air to everyone but a 1/1/3 Kaga.

0/1/3 can't defend itself from a snipe, nor defend it's bombers.

2/0/2 is ok for controlling skies, but the lack of 1k lb bombs really limits damage potential.

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,316 battles

Ranger is the last carrier that can use 1/1/1 relatively well (against itself). I managed to get above 60% W/R with it so it's not entirely hopeless, but every match is an uphill battle if you're facing anything other than another Ranger.

[WOLF5]
Members
38,590 posts
31,243 battles
14 hours ago, cometguy said:

1/1/1 loses the air to everyone but a 1/1/3 Kaga.

0/1/3 can't defend itself from a snipe, nor defend it's bombers.

2/0/2 is ok for controlling skies, but the lack of 1k lb bombs really limits damage potential.

There's quite a bit of Kaga out there.  Just in this 1 Week:

gZpRrKz.jpg

Kaga has seen more action than Hiryu or Saipan and was only 1k off from having as many Battles Played as Ranger.  The threat of Kaga is not like Saipan where she's a somewhat uncommon find.  You can expect to see Kaga almost as often as Ranger in NA server.  I have yet to see anyone sport a 1/1/3 Kaga, it's always the 2/2/1.  I've seen them obliterate Stock and Strike Rangers with alarming frequency.  The 2/2/1 spec, combined with the fact Tier VII CVs do not have Defensive Fire like VIII+ do, means Kaga is perfect for the CV Snipe.  Hell, I've seen Kagas crush Rangers in one attack run!

Normally I'm a USN Strike CV guy but in the current state of things at Tier VII, if I had to start my USN CV grind again at Tier VII, I would sport AS 2/0/2 Ranger.

Strike Ranger is suicide against the commonly seen Kaga.

You may get away with Stock Ranger against a nubcake Kaga but if they are competent, they'll bury your 1 fighter squadron with their 2, while the 2 TBs obliterate your CV.

There is still the traditional threat of Hiryu.

How do you handle any spec of Saipan with Stock 1 fighter or 0 fighters in Strike?  You can't, not unless the Saipan user is an idiot.

I would bemoan the loss of attack power, like I said, normally I do USN Strike.  But Ranger is in a bad spot right now with CVs that can obliterate her.  AS Ranger can at least defend herself and the team and not be so easy to snipe by Kaga.  Again, Kaga sees more action than Saipan and Hiryu and is a threat you should expect to see if you play Tier VII CV.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,939 posts
30,780 battles

I play carriers mostly in PvE so take this for what it is worth. I love the Ranger. Huge hanger capacity compared to the Indy and using the 1/1/1 loadout works well for me. When I first got her, I just could not stop playing the ship, just so much fun. Fully upgraded she is a beast. Course then I got the Lex and about had a stroke. She is great as well. Not sure how they perform in PvP, if I have any games in Random with either ship, I don't remember them.  Only the Langley was more fun IMHO. The Bogue was/is pretty bad and the Indy did ok but wasn't anything to write home about.

[ANIME]
Beta Testers
108 posts
On 6/13/2017 at 7:10 PM, InclinedToRun said:

But that's part of the fun of the US line

That's called masochism.

• Cool 1

[NULL]
Members
112 posts
3,457 battles
3 hours ago, ANDROMADA said:

That's called masochism.

I've been playing a bit too much Dark souls recently...

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles
On 6/13/2017 at 10:31 PM, InclinedToRun said:

The kaga is honestly free food for both my ranger and Saipan it is just so easy to dominate that it feels like seal clubbing

You must not have played against a good player then, a 3/0/1 Saipan would wreck your 1/1/1 loadout one fighter for each of your squads and then he still has his DBs. Ranger IS a good ship, but compared to the Saipan, Hiryu, and Kaga it falters on loadouts leaving her at a disadvantage from the start, leaving it up to your skill to fill that gap. But come across another player in one of those ships with a skill equal to yours then you'll have a tougher time.

Members
26 posts
6,535 battles
On 6/14/2017 at 5:00 PM, Flashtirade said:

Ranger is the last carrier that can use 1/1/1 relatively well (against itself). I managed to get above 60% W/R with it so it's not entirely hopeless, but every match is an uphill battle if you're facing anything other than another Ranger.

With WG's introduction of even more powerful cvs like the Saipan and Kaga, we would love to see a Ranger rework. Perhaps more bombers per squadron, or rocket fighters, as some have already suggested, would be nice. (I havent gotten the Lex yet, but I have heard and seen that the Essex and Midway hold their own against the IJN CVs). Honestly, when you check the servers stats, the Ranger does SIGNIFICANTLY LESS DMG AND HAS A LOW WIN RATIO compared to the Hiryu. But as stated above, the 1-1-1 is the only real viable loadout for the Ranger.

[WOLF5]
Members
38,590 posts
31,243 battles

Ranger & Lexington should have their specs rearranged, drawing on how Lexington used to be at launch with her stock spec.

Stock 1/1/1

Air Superiority 2/1/1 - This is Lexington's Stock Spec when WoWS launched

Strike 1/1/2

USN AS or Strike Specs should not be sidegrades like they are now, they should be upgrades like it is with IJN CVs.

[NULL]
Members
112 posts
3,457 battles
15 hours ago, devastator5000 said:

You must not have played against a good player then, a 3/0/1 Saipan would wreck your 1/1/1 loadout one fighter for each of your squads and then he still has his DBs. Ranger IS a good ship, but compared to the Saipan, Hiryu, and Kaga it falters on loadouts leaving her at a disadvantage from the start, leaving it up to your skill to fill that gap. But come across another player in one of those ships with a skill equal to yours then you'll have a tougher time.

I was referring to the fact that in MY saipan i can dominate kaga not saying ranger can ever dominate saipan, because it can't at all.

Members
2,688 posts
4,560 battles

Because she is the worst performing of the T7 CV's.  Of which there are now four.  Because she has an all or nothing module scheme that leaves you wanting no matter what you pick,  compared to ALL of her competitors which can have a good balance or to her tech tree counterpart which doesn't have to give up anything and still maintains her high attack power.  Ranger has to give up concurrent planes in the air in order to have a balanced loadout that is only going to be 'good' against a strike Ranger.  

If the Ranger's extreme loadouts where the best at what they did I don't think anyone would complain.  If Ranger AS could clear the sky of a Hiryu AS ((All things being equal)) then the dissent would die down.  If the Rangers strike package ACTUALLY beat Hiryu's 'strike' package in damage and not just on paper then people would be more willing to accept the fact they give up any sort of flexibility in order to do one thing really well.  If the Ranger had a 1/1/2 loadout to give people a more balanced package option I think the dissent would lessen.

But in reality,  none of that happens.  AS Ranger will lose out to an AS Hiryu both in the air and on the sea.  Having three squads of five allows for a lot more flexibility and concurrent air firepower then two squads of seven.  Strike Ranger loses out in damage to the Hiryu due to torpedo bombers dealing much more reliable damage AND still having the dive bombers to start fires.  Not to mention having fighters to defend its assault aircraft.  Now on paper Strike Rangers damage potential beats Hiryus but in reality that isn't likely to happen for so many reasons.  Also nearly forgot,  the Hiryu having two torpedo bomber squadrons allows for boxing in and cross dropping,  eliminating a lot of the guesswork from torping a target.  Course...Hiryu's have the same planes that the Zuiho had so that's a thing.

Not saying you can't like it or do well in it.  Something to keep in mind is that USN torpedo damage caps out at literally T5 in the Bogue.  That means you get a huge chunk of your damage capability very early on in the tech tree lines.  Most ships have to climb up to their maximum potential but USN CV's hit theirs at T5 and T8.  And while 1000pd bombs are nice,  RNG is not their friend.  You're going to be able to punch things very,  very hard.  But again,  that does not mean that the ship is 'fine' or that people don't have a reason to complain.  It isn't,  and they do.  The entire USN line needs some help.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

Ranger is bad and should feel bad.  I hate seeing them on my team.  Honestly, all the USN CV's pretty much blow, except Saipan.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles
On 6/17/2017 at 3:50 PM, InclinedToRun said:

I was referring to the fact that in MY saipan i can dominate kaga not saying ranger can ever dominate saipan, because it can't at all.

Ahhh makes more sense now must have misread.

[ANIME]
Beta Testers
108 posts
On 6/16/2017 at 5:13 PM, InclinedToRun said:

I've been playing a bit too much Dark souls recently...

Have you tried Drum Souls?

Members
1,482 posts
2,386 battles

I actually enjoyed the Ranger a LOT!! I'm surprised at all the negative feedback.

With Ranger the only way to go is with full strike of 0/1/3. It is absolutely devastating, plus at tier 7 the players you face aren't as killed as say the Lexington, so it's actually easier to ignore fighters and hit primary targets.

Now this does come with skill, Ranger is by no means easy to use as pure strike if you don't know what your doing, hence, why people think it's a bad loadout. But once you master dodging fighters and damage over time, she's a real damage dealer.

[K0]
Members
1,758 posts
10,316 battles

The biggest issue I have with Strike Ranger (besides the concept of all-or-nothing loadouts in general) is the inability to defend itself against enemy strikes. Even an AS Ranger can shut it down by staggering its DBs, the Ranger has garbage AA and no DF to scatter the drop patterns.

Sign in to follow this