You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Siegfried

Southern California described as "ticking time bomb," prepare now

113 comments in this topic

Members
7,086 posts

This is worth a read. Although I frankly believe that the next Cascadia Earthquake - whenever it happens - will be a lot worse (there are signs that the shaking in 1700 caused landslides so large that they temporarily blocked the Columbia river; the coastline from N. California to the tip of Vancouver Island was hit by 30+ foot tsunamis; 8.0 magnitude shaking lasted upwards of 5 minutes; the beach and tidal regions in some places dropped into the ocean by 10 feet or more), this looks to be pretty darned bad for L.A., too.

fJ0DELf.gif

Both events could happen in our lifetime.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

Soooo, WG needs a backup server in Oklahoma City?  Of course, a quake that strong might set off the Yellowstone Caldera, wiping out pretty much the entire western U.S. and plunging us all into another ice age, at which point I think we won't be worried about digital floaty boats.

Edited by kerensky914

Members
7,086 posts

Soooo, WG needs a backup server in Oklahoma City?

Isn't WG in San Francisco (or that neck of the woods)? The Bay Area is not likely to have another enormous quake like 1904 for quite some time.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Isn't WG in San Francisco (or that neck of the woods)? The Bay Area is not likely to have another enormous quake like 1904 for quite some time.

The server is in San Jose.

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Soooo, WG needs a backup server in Oklahoma City?  Of course, a quake that strong might set off the Yellowstone Caldera, wiping out pretty much the entire western U.S. and plunging us all into another ice age, at which point I think we won't be worried about digital floaty boats.

If yellowstone blows, it's probably taking almost all of the US with it.

Beta Testers
19,049 posts
8,122 battles

Not quite, but the ash clouds would cause food shortages and a lot would starve to death.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

Members
7,086 posts

Yes, but the chances of that are pretty minuscule - in fact, several other super volcanoes are much, much more close at this point, scientists believe. Campi Flegrei under Naples is apparently primed, and there has been a significant amount of resurgent dome building at Lake Toba, Indonesia, too.

There's also no certainty that Yellowstone itself will ever erupt again - it's quite possible that the hotspot will move prior to the next eruption about 30 miles NE of its present location. That has been the general pattern as time has passed.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

California is already a ticking time bomb due to dangerously low water levels across the state. I believe the state will run out of water before the next master quake hits. Granted, that quake is long overdue. It might as well happen now before the state runs out of water......This will force people to move to less dangerous places.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Not quite, but the ash clouds would cause food shortages and a lot would starve to death.

Damn Muricans

Can't they go down without squishing the moose with it? :ohmy:

But in all reality, how many of the buildings in SoCal area can withstand a magnitude 7.8 earthquake in the first place?

Members
7,086 posts

California is already a ticking time bomb due to dangerously low water levels across the state. I believe the state will run out of water before the next master quake hits. Granted, that quake is long overdue. It might as well happen now before the state runs out of water......This will force people to move to less dangerous places.

I... wha? California's Central Valley has water shortages, and people are taxing the aquifers badly (stupidly growing Almonds, which are amazingly water dependent), but much of California's urban water comes from seasonal snow melt, which was completely replenished last winter. The place isn't the barren desert you imagine it to be.

Now, Phoenix? Phoenix could run out of water in our lifetimes. They waste it like crazy, there, too - fountains and vanity misters and stuff like that. 

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

Damn Muricans

But in all reality, how many of the buildings in SoCal area can withstand a magnitude 7.8 earthquake in the first place?

not many, i think low as 30%. The downtown skyscrapers can withstand higher, maybe in the 8.5+ or higher range.

Beta Testers
19,049 posts
8,122 battles

Damn Muricans

Due to NAFTA, you're in it with us lol. Mexico's lucky. 

Members
7,086 posts

Damn Muricans

Big skyscrapers, and a lot of newer smaller buildings are technically designed to withstand earthquakes. The problem would be as much resultant fires, electrical outages (that could last for weeks), severe isolation due to the disruption of transportation conduits, and disorder (I expect horrendous looting). 

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

I... wha? California's Central Valley has water shortages, and people are taxing the aquifers badly (stupidly growing Almonds, which are amazingly water dependent), but much of California's urban water comes from seasonal snow melt, which was completely replenished last winter. The place isn't the barren desert you imagine it to be.

Now, Phoenix? Phoenix could run out of water in our lifetimes. They waste it like crazy, there, too - fountains and vanity misters and stuff like that. 

it not the snow melt. Ca required a amount of rain drops each year to support the state. It been deciding each year, causing a drought across the state. I know, i used to live there. Just research it, you will be surprised.

Did you know the mid cal state valley use to have a huge lake that cover half of it? It disappear sometime in the early 1900's. Cal have been shooting themself in the foot for a long time now without realizing it

[ERN]
10,906 posts
4,896 battles

as someone from that region i'll just say we are all waiting for the big one to hit....

why wait? get out before it to late!!

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

Yes, but the chances of that are pretty minuscule - in fact, several other super volcanoes are much, much more close at this point, scientists believe. Campi Flegrei under Naples is apparently primed, and there has been a significant amount of resurgent dome building at Lake Toba, Indonesia, too.

There's also no certainty that Yellowstone itself will ever erupt again - it's quite possible that the hotspot will move prior to the next eruption about 30 miles NE of its present location. That has been the general pattern as time has passed.

Actually, Lake Yellowstone has had pretty significant elevation changes in the past 10 years, and from a geological scale standpoint it's actually kinda due to go.  Studies I'd read put it on about a 300K year timeline, and it's been about that long.  That caldera is huge, so moving the hotspot might not really help.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Well, glad I live on the east coast literally a five minute walk from corn fields. Maybe there is a benefit from living in a small farm town in the middle of nowhere. :P

Members
7,086 posts

Actually, Lake Yellowstone has had pretty significant elevation changes in the past 10 years, and from a geological scale standpoint it's actually kinda due to go.  Studies I'd read put it on about a 300K year timeline, and it's been about that long.  That caldera is huge, so moving the hotspot might not really help.

Well, no, it wouldn't help at all - it would just open a new caldera, likely in the foothills of the Bear Tooth Mountains. And yes, I am aware that the uplift has been fairly significant at Yellowstone, but it is also very, very well monitored as these things go. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,684 battles

Now that is the real meaning of "climate change".

Members
7,086 posts

Well, glad I live on the east coast literally a five minute walk from corn fields. Maybe there is a benefit from living in a small farm town in the middle of nowhere. :P

Depends on how close to the coast you are.

mega-tsunami-threat-646187.jpg

Beta Testers
91 posts
7,538 battles

We got hit by a once in 500-year flood in Baton Rouge. Just move it to the second or third floor in New Orleans and bring a generator. 
Edited by neworleanssaintsfan

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

Now, I'm sure it's not from fracking but Oklahoma has been suffering from more earthquakes in the past 5 years than they've had for the past 100.

Almost forgot to respond to this one - yes, we've had quite a swarm here.  Not due to fracking, tho.  Some think it is due to wastewater injection wells, and that might have something to do with it.  But people have short memories - Oklahoma had a similar earthquake swarm back in the 1950's.  The thing is, they're so small that few people really remember.  I think the biggest one we've had lately was right at a 5.0.  L.A. folks call that "Thursday". ;)