Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PolarWolf32

Has anyone been hit by a plane?

22 comments in this topic

Members
189 posts
5,317 battles

Hello all,

With what feels like a comeback of CVs dawning, it brought back a question I could never seem to find out from experience: can ships be hit by planes?

When I was reading the FAQ page for the game when the beta was about to become public (the same page that confirmed subs would not be a part of gameplay for reference), one of the questions was regarding kamikaze planes. While I cannot recall the exact wording, the FAQ said that would be a balance problem, but did say planes shot down could crash into your ship and cause damage. Yet in over 3k games, I can't recall being hit by an actual plane, or any comments in chat about it. Is it just an extremely rare occurrence, or just a feature that got removed or never implemented?

Thanks,

-PW

Edit: I am not calling into question neither the use of kamikaze aircraft nor their historical, moral or 'balance' justifications. I'm just wondering if a plane can hit a ship.

Edited by PolarWolf32

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

Hello all,

With what feels like a comeback of CVs dawning, it brought back a question I could never seem to find out from experience: can ships be hit by planes?

When I was reading the FAQ page for the game when the beta was about to become public (the same page that confirmed subs would not be a part of gameplay for reference), one of the questions was regarding kamikaze planes. While I cannot recall the exact wording, the FAQ said that would be a balance problem, but did say planes shot down could crash into your ship and cause damage. Yet in over 3k games, I can't recall being hit by an actual plane, or any comments in chat about it. Is it just an extremely rare occurrence, or just a feature that got removed or never implemented?

Thanks,

-PW

Careful, you might trigger someone.

More acceptable: Has anyone ever seen two torpedoes on crossing paths collide in the water? :trollface:

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

The hitting the water is just an animation, if it happens to end on a ship it doesnt have any effect. WG is not going to implement kamikazes for many reasons including the fact that they were land based bombers and not naval assets.

Edited by RipNuN2

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

They cannot do a kamikaze attack. That has been deemed unacceptable by WG for historical and 'moral' reasons.

However, when a plane is shot down, the sprite can bounce off of your ship. No damage is inflicted.

Edited by pewpewpew42

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

They cannot do a kamikaze attack. That has been deemed unacceptable by WG for historical and 'moral' reasons.

However, when a plane is shot down, the sprite can bounce off of your ship. No damage is inflicted.

Moral yes, historical no. There were kamikaze attacks. Also take into consideration that they try to give all nations similar ship classes and equipment. Kamikaze attacks would only be available for Japan possibly giving the nation an unfair advantage. But the overwhelming majority of the reason is probably the "moral" thing, kind of like why they use the iron cross instead of the swastika on German flags.

Members
189 posts
5,317 battles

Cue planes with ragdoll physics :teethhappy:

Edit:

Moral yes, historical no. There were kamikaze attacks. Also take into consideration that they try to give all nations similar ship classes and equipment. Kamikaze attacks would only be available for Japan possibly giving the nation an unfair advantage. But the overwhelming majority of the reason is probably the "moral" thing, kind of like why they use the iron cross instead of the swastika on German flags.

I'm not inquiring into the moral or historical justifications of kamikaze attacks, that's just where the question fit in. I'm merely inquiring if a plane can hit a ship, plain and simple.

Edited by PolarWolf32

[SIM]
Members
1,745 posts

Hello all,

Thanks,

-PW

Yes they can when shot down. Had one it the bow of my ship but, i didn't notice if any damage was taken.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

Historical reasons yes. Kamikaze strikes were not launched from aircraft carriers. They were exclusively land-based. There is no historical basis for kamikaze aircraft being launched from an aircraft carrier. Guess what all the planes in this game are launched from?

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

Cue planes with ragdoll physics :teethhappy:

Edit:

I'm not inquiring into the moral or historical justifications of kamikaze attacks, that's just where the question fit in. I'm merely inquiring if a plane can hit a ship, plain and simple.

Yes a plane can hit a ship . . . if wargaming wanted to model that they probably could.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,869 posts
4,864 battles

Same reason why deadly wreck was removed from WoWP...random and perhaps cheap...

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

All nations fighting in WW2 had situations where doomed pilots decided to go out that way.

Even happened on the attack at Pearl Harbor.  British did it.  Russians did it.  Germans did it.  The US had pilots that did it too.

So many posthumous medals were awarded.

Suicide missions..  Even JFK's brother...

And then there was the Campbelltown mission.

And then there was a ship called Yamato.

Edited by AVR_Project

Members
1,289 posts
2,399 battles

Historical reasons yes. Kamikaze strikes were not launched from aircraft carriers. They were exclusively land-based. There is no historical basis for kamikaze aircraft being launched from an aircraft carrier. Guess what all the planes in this game are launched from?

I think all of the IJN carriers were gone by the time the kamikaze attacks started so it's hard to say that they would have never been used that way if the idea of the suicide attacks had come earlier.

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Everyone sees a different dying animation for planes shot down. What one person sees splashing into the water, another may have seen just blowing up in air. Basically, they're just animations...

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

I think all of the IJN carriers were gone by the time the kamikaze attacks started so it's hard to say that they would have never been used that way if the idea of the suicide attacks had come earlier.

Kamikaze pilots knew pretty much the bare minimum required to fly the plane, iirc. This does not include taking off from aircraft carriers, because as it happens, taking off from aircraft carriers is hard. It would require a lot of training that isn't going to be wasted on kamikaze pilots pretty much by definition.

I'm also pretty sure there were carriers left when kamikaze attacks started. Kamikaze attacks were not launched from those carriers.

And, of course, there is also no gameplay reason to put them in the game.

[TDD]
Members
1,236 posts
9,516 battles

i had one hit my hood but it was just my position and the way the shoot down animation coincided. wish i could have gotten screen shot but it happened to fast. didn't do anything but looked cool though

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

You can be hit by a plane but it does no damage.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
8,087 battles

The hitting the water is just an animation, if it happens to end on a ship it doesnt have any effect. WG is not going to implement kamikazes for many reasons including the fact that they were land based bombers and not naval assets.

Actually naval aircraft were used in Kamikaze attacks, however they were rare because Japan at that point did not have many naval aircraft left.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Actually naval aircraft were used in Kamikaze attacks, however they were rare because Japan at that point did not have many naval aircraft left.

I'm not aware of any dedicated Kamikaze attacks originating from carriers. If you could provide some sources that would be great. The only instances I can recall were pilots of doomed planes deciding to crash into a ship as a last desperate act. 

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Yup, you can be hit by one. It bounces off pretty comically actually. It's happened to me once and I got a good laugh out of it. I wasn't expecting the models to detect collision at all but I swear it bounced off the deck. 

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles

I've had a few bounce off the ship, even had a torp dropped "on" my ship (the wake started in the stern, and either left the ship before arming, or hit the stern from the inside before arming, I didn't look back and count the torps in the water.)

Happens about the 11 minute mark. I didn't notice until it got posted myself.

[VOLT]
[VOLT]
Members
175 posts
38,942 battles

someone tried to give me a Fancy - no - no plain

Members
816 posts

All nations fighting in WW2 had situations where doomed pilots decided to go out that way.

Even happened on the attack at Pearl Harbor.  British did it.  Russians did it.  Germans did it.  The US had pilots that did it too.

So many posthumous medals were awarded.

Suicide missions..  Even JFK's brother...

And then there was the Campbelltown mission.

And then there was a ship called Yamato.

JFK brother wasnt on a suicide mission, he was bailing out of the plane after the explosives were set and they accidentally detonated.  Don't put that in the same light as a suicide mission.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

JFK brother wasnt on a suicide mission, he was bailing out of the plane after the explosives were set and they accidentally detonated.  Don't put that in the same light as a suicide mission.

I consider every mission that has a 20% chance of survival as a suicide mission.  ESPECIALLY if the combatant doesn't know it.

There were only 14 Aphrodite missions - with zero success in destroying anything.

Joe was warned of defective wiring, and troublesome electronics...   but pushed ahead with more confidence than caution..

Suicide is a reckless thing.  You trade your life for the greater good.

In the case of the Campbelltown, the cost was justified.

Russian pilots would ram their inferior planes into German bombers.  That also worked - but the cost was high.

Germans climbed into rocket planes and even had a ramming suicide squad.

And the US also has something called the 'Silent Service' where the death toll was in the 2 digit percentage.

Sign in to follow this