Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BarronRichthofen

Devastating Strikes

30 comments in this topic

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,377 battles

I know you at WG are not going to remove them, but please reduce the frequency. I'm sure this past week has been just RNGJesus looking down on me but I've been Dev striked 18 times in 32 matches. It  has been guns at LONG range and one a torp right to the torp blister on my Arizona (should NOT have happened) The frequency of Dev strikes is way to high IMO, I have dished out 632 of them roughly 1 every 80 games or so.That is way too often. It should be a one in a million shot or at least one in 100k as it is, it's far more frequent.

In all of naval history the amount of "Dev strikes" can be counted on ONE hand, That's not Detonations, as what happened to the H.M.S. Hood. I know it gives people that "Happy,Happy,Joy,Joy" feeling when they get them but seriously enough with them already. If IRL it happened as frequently as it does in game, WWII would still be being fought.

Make that 19 in 32, Just in a match  spotted by a CV Dev striked by a Bayern  that was unseen,  HAPPENS TOO OFTEN !!!

Edited by BarronRichthofen

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,167 posts
30,915 battles

Devastating Strikes don't just randomly happen in the frequency you're complaining about.  You had to have made serious mistakes.  Showing broadside in a BB.  Eating a massive torpedo salvo.  Detonations happen but they are rare.  Devastating Strikes happening is because the attacker caught the target in a very bad situation.

[NERO]
Members
3,630 posts

Okay, so just to be clear... Dev Strike is not a Detonation. It's not a random event while taking damage. It's when you take a huge amount of damage from a single salvo or torp spread that ends up sinking your ship. 

Yes, a Detonation is a Dev Strike, but a Dev Strike is not necessarily a Detonation. In fact, rarely is. Get nailed by a whole torp spread? Dev Strike. Catch a rare quadruple citadel from a BB? Dev Strike. 

[-TLO-]
Members
169 posts
9,604 battles

So then what should happen if I, in a [insert battleship here], get a perfect shot on a broadside [insert cruiser here] at 5 km? Do my shells magically punch though the boiler room bulkheads, bounce off of the engineers' beards, and fly out again? 

When you take a devastating strike, that means that you lost 50% or greater of your HP to a single artillery or torpedo salvo (or two incredibly close ones, i.e. triple citadel with main bat and secondaries finish the job, all within ~5-10 seconds). To do that, you must have screwed up somehow. Except for detonations, which can be completely prevented with flags, devastrikes just don't happen because WG feels like it. Something has to go wrong and someone on the enemy team has to take advantage of that.

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,377 battles

Okay, so just to be clear... Dev Strike is not a Detonation. It's not a random event while taking damage. It's when you take a huge amount of damage from a single salvo or torp spread that ends up sinking your ship. 

Yes, a Detonation is a Dev Strike, but a Dev Strike is not necessarily a Detonation. In fact, rarely is. Get nailed by a whole torp spread? Dev Strike. Catch a rare quadruple citadel from a BB? Dev Strike. 

I understand the concept but that's NOT always true, I have dev striked people with a single torp to an undamaged ship. NOT a Detonation just a "Devastating Strike". Point in case There is a replay of mine where I hit an undamaged Iowa with a single torp from my Kagero to the bow, Dev striked him and killed him with a torp that at most should have done 16k damage. He did not get caught broadside he did not detonate he just got S C R E W E D  by RNG Jesus.

Try and argue about how someone had to screw up to get dev striked all you like , the argument is FALSE. 90% of the time that may be the case, but not always. RNGJesus does play a factor in it.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Going to classify this one as a learn to play issue. 

Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

I understand the concept but that's NOT always true, I have dev striked people with a single torp to an undamaged ship. NOT a Detonation just a "Devastating Strike". Point in case There is a replay of mine where I hit an undamaged Iowa with a single torp from my Kagero to the bow, Dev striked him and killed him with a torp that at most should have done 16k damage. He did not get caught broadside he did not detonate he just got S C R E W E D  by RNG Jesus.

Please post this replay, cause I have never witness such a thing in all my time playing Warships where a single torp could 1 shot a full HP BB without a detonation.

[WULUF]
Members
617 posts
11,842 battles

IRL, it happened many more times than you say, a handful? A lot more. But then this is an arcade game, so irrelevant.

Dont show your [edited] so much. (lol, it edited abbreviation for broadside)

PS  it's an arcade game

Edited by injunmick

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,188 battles

Its usually pretty devastating, when someone shoots a RNG devstrike at me. :B

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

In all of naval history the amount of "Dev strikes" can be counted on ONE hand...

Erm.... no.  Across the two world wars, there were dozens if not hundreds ships sunk by a single torpedo spread or aircraft squadron strike.  Fuso, Kongo, Hiryu, Soryu, Akagi, Kaga, Tahio, Shinano and Barham are a few examples I can think of off the top of my head of large ships destroyed by a single torpedo or bomb strike, but there are many others.

Note that a devestating strike in the game is when a ship is sunk by a single salvo, more or less, which could potentially be a half dozen or more individual hits.  If you want to take about large (cruiser or bigger) ships sunk by an actual single piece of ordnance, these are are less common, but still hardly so rare that historical examples could be  "counted on one hand."

There is a replay of mine where I hit an undamaged Iowa with a single torp from my Kagero to the bow, Dev striked him and killed him with a torp that at most should have done 16k damage. He did not get caught broadside he did not detonate he just got S C R E W E D  by RNG Jesus.

Please produce said replay file.  A single Kagaero torp causes 20966 alpha damage, which (excepting a Detonation) isn't enough to sink a full-health cruiser with a single hit, let alone a BB. Either you are misinterpreting what happened, or there is a game bug that needs to be investigated. 
Edited by ForgMaxtor

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,377 battles

Please post this replay, cause I have never witness such a thing in all my time playing Warships where a single torp could 1 shot a full HP BB without a detonation.

Grr anyone know how to make OLD replays useable with current client version? I have 2 such instances saved one to my Bismarck Single torp to bow (was not a full health but took 45k or so) and the Full health Iowa single torp to bow.

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,377 battles

Erm.... no.  Across the two world wars, there were dozens if not hundreds ships sunk by a single torpedo spread or aircraft squadron strike.  Fuso, Kongo, Hiryu, Soryu, Akagi, Kaga, Tahio, Shinano and Barham are a few examples I can come up with of large ships destroyed by a single torpedo or bomb strike, but there are many others.

Please produce said replay file.  A single Kagaero torp causes 20966 alpha damage, which (excepting a Detonation) isn't enough to sink a full-health cruiser with a single hit, let alone a BB. Either you are misinterpreting what happened, or there is a game bug that needs to be investigated. 

I reported this to WG when it happened, Their response was basically, All is normal nothing to see here.  

Now I'm not talking about the 4 Citadel, 4 torp spread dev strikes here, I'm referring to the single torp or single shell hit's that take you from full health to 0. No not all of my 632 Dev strike are of this type but some are. The multiple Citadel or Torp hit ones ARE NOT what I'm really complaining about. It's the Golden BB types. (see beginning of the Movie "Air America" for a good definition)

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Grr anyone know how to make OLD replays useable with current client version? I have 2 such instances saved one to my Bismarck Single torp to bow (was not a full health but took 45k or so) and the Full health Iowa single torp to bow.

So let me get this straight.

Devastating strikes happen too often for you.

And you think they aren't legitimate.

And you base this on an old replay file.

That you sent to WG and they said was fine.

So? Uh.

FYI - you can farm devastating strikes in low tier carriers. Just attack the DD/CLs first and kill them.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Post it anyway, some forum users have saved the old clients to be able to watch replays from previous versions.

[TSG4R]
[TSG4R]
Members
972 posts
5,062 battles

You have to install and use an old version of the client to play old replay files; there is  no way to "upgrade" the save file to be compatible with current version.  This is why it's a good idea to get video  clip grabs or at least screen cap stills of really important gameplay moments if you want to save them for posterity.

I reported this to WG when it happened, Their response was basically, All is normal nothing to see here.  

So yeah... absent hard evidence I'm going to chalk this one up to poor post-engagement intel analysis and leave and leave it at that.

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

Me loves Dev. Strikes, like the one I got with Alabama yesterday and the 173 before that. :trollface:

Dev. strikes result when big mistakes and good aim collide. 

Edited by lemekillmister

[DRHS]
Members
439 posts
22,377 battles

Well Here is The link to the Bismarck one saved at WoWsreplays

.https://wowreplays.com/Replay/23360-BarronRichthofen-Bismarck-North

This one happened to me before I got the one on the Iowa. I know I still have it but without being able to view the Old replay I may never be able to find it.

WG need to make a tool to convert old replay to be compatible with current client version.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

I believe Little White Mouse keeps old client versions.

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

When you got the dev strike with the 1 torp on the BB, did you look in the chat box to see if the BB got a detonation?

Edited by renegadestatuz

[ISLA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
781 posts
15,439 battles

I know you at WG are not going to remove them, but please reduce the frequency. I'm sure this past week has been just RNGJesus looking down on me but I've been Dev striked 18 times in 32 matches. It  has been guns at LONG range and one a torp right to the torp blister on my Arizona (should NOT have happened) The frequency of Dev strikes is way to high IMO, I have dished out 632 of them roughly 1 every 80 games or so.That is way too often. It should be a one in a million shot or at least one in 100k as it is, it's far more frequent.

In all of naval history the amount of "Dev strikes" can be counted on ONE hand, That's not Detonations, as what happened to the H.M.S. Hood. I know it gives people that "Happy,Happy,Joy,Joy" feeling when they get them but seriously enough with them already. If IRL it happened as frequently as it does in game, WWII would still be being fought.

Make that 19 in 32, Just in a match  spotted by a CV Dev striked by a Bayern  that was unseen,  HAPPENS TOO OFTEN !!!

Deviating strikes are RNG Jesus tellig you done f $×$ up.   you need punishment for you're broad side sailing sins.

Edited by DeadIyArT

[CAPGO]
Members
775 posts
12,369 battles

Try and argue about how someone had to screw up to get dev striked all you like , the argument is FALSE. 90% of the time that may be the case, but not always. RNGJesus does play a factor in it.

I don't think you really understand the concept. You got devastating strike on that BB from single torp because you got him detonated.

YES, torpedoes have chance to detonate battleships when they hit around their turret where the magazines are located.

saying remove devastating strike is like saying, Okay home-runs are not fair, please remove them in a baseball match.

Edited by 0806sung

[-N-]
Members
2,288 posts
15,955 battles

Okay I have been on both ends of this scenario.  What is happening in these cases is your magazine is getting hit by the torp, I took down Bismarck this way and I have had it done to me in Both the FDG and GFK,  It is a torp that hit the sweet spot.  This will happen particularly when getting torped by a IJN cruiser like an Atago or the T7-T10 IJN DDs.  A torpedo that hits the bow just the right angle particularly a IJN torp that can hit with anywhere from 17K-23K in damage to the bow will do this.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Devastating strikes didn't happen in real life very often because warships are very expensive and carry a large crew. So having a design that would be easy to sink, and putting someone in charge who would get her easily sunk was more than frowned upon. But I don't have 3 consecutive days available to sink the Bismarck, so changes were made for playability.

Edited by cometguy

[CAPGO]
Members
775 posts
12,369 battles

Devastating strikes didn't happen in real life very often because warships are very expensive and carry a large crew. So having a design that would be easy to sink, and putting someone in charge who would get her easily sunk was more than frowned upon. But I don't have 3 consecutive days available to sink the Bismarck, so changes were made for playability.

just look at how HMS Hood was sunk LOL.. and that was only a shellfire from Bismarck(yes only LOL)

Torpedoes hit can be literally devastating.

Sign in to follow this