Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

Noob Incoming!!

25 comments in this topic

0 posts

Yep, your new average destroyer yoloer here. Sorry in advance if i'm on your team ;)

Since this is going to be my first post on the forums, might as well make it useful...

What ship lines do you recommend going down? I'm probably not going down a CV light straight off so i'm thinking either battleship or a heavy cruiser (even though my only tier 3 is a destroyer right now) so any recommendations? 

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

For BB lines, the German BBs are a very solid line to go down and very new player friendly." They have extremely tank armor and once you get up to tier 8 they have uber secondaries.

For cruiser lines, the IJN line is a very solid line.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

I've only gotten up to tier 6 in a few line but mostly play DDs also. I found BBs a much easier thing to get into. BBs have health and armor, DDs have agility and stealth. Cruisers are mediocre at both and if you don't know what you are doing in the game, it's very easy to get killed. Pick a line and most of all look up game mechanics on YouTube from iChase, Norster and other YouTubers

[ARPOG]
-Members-
870 posts
11,070 battles

I would advise trying out as many lines as possible. Even if you end up discontinuing your progress on them, you will still learn valuable lessons on how they play, and how to counter them.

Destroyers: USN destroyers are a great "Jack of All Trades" branch, and are great to learn the basics of DDs

Cruisers: IJN cruisers have strong HE and high fire chances, and will help you learn how to angle your ship (or risk being deleted) 

Battleships: IJN battleships are the "generic" playstyle, and are a good line to start with. They have reliable guns (excluding Kawachi and Myogi), and also rely on angling. The KMS battleships are also very strong and beginner friendly, but they are perhaps a little too forgiving, and have the potential to teach bad habits. 

Experienced Lines: Until you gain a little more experience in the game, stay clear of the British light cruisers, the Russian destroyers, and both aircraft carrier lines. 

0 posts

I would advise trying out as many lines as possible. Even if you end up discontinuing your progress on them, you will still learn valuable lessons on how they play, and how to counter them.

Destroyers: USN destroyers are a great "Jack of All Trades" branch, and are great to learn the basics of DDs

Cruisers: IJN cruisers have strong HE and high fire chances, and will help you learn how to angle your ship (or risk being deleted) 

Battleships: IJN battleships are the "generic" playstyle, and are a good line to start with. They have reliable guns (excluding Kawachi and Myogi), and also rely on angling. The KMS battleships are also very strong and beginner friendly, but they are perhaps a little too forgiving, and have the potential to teach bad habits. 

Experienced Lines: Until you gain a little more experience in the game, stay clear of the British light cruisers, the Russian destroyers, and both aircraft carrier lines. 

I know some of the abbreviations but not all. What are KMS BBs again? (like, which country)

[KAG2]
Members
4,644 posts
24,182 battles

Hey welcome to the forums  :)

I think Cruisers really help because they kind of cover everything but then again they don't do anything well but they're good practice ships

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

IJN DDs are easiest to run since you only have to worry about  torps for most part and avoiding other ships.   once you get decent at that, you can add guns.   if you prefer gunning,  russian is best with US being hardest  due to mixed nature.  

for BB,     germans are probably most forgiving.    

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,859 posts
30,564 battles

If you are brand new, make sure you get a referral code so you can get some free ships and other great stuff before you advance too far. Just getting the USS Texas for free is well worth it!

[ARPOG]
-Members-
870 posts
11,070 battles

I know some of the abbreviations but not all. What are KMS BBs again? (like, which country)

IJN = Imperial Japanese Navy

KMS = Kriegsmarine (Germany)

USN = United States Navy

RN = Royal Navy

MN = Marine National (France)

PL or ORP = Marynarka Wojenna (Poland)

Edited by Teahee

0 posts

If you are brand new, make sure you get a referral code so you can get some free ships and other great stuff before you advance too far. Just getting the USS Texas for free is well worth it!

where do i find this and how do i use it?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,859 posts
30,564 battles

where do i find this and how do i use it?

Just need someone to send you a PM with a link for a referral. You have to be under service level three or you will have to redo your account. You get great stuff and once you get a tier 6 ship and play a game, you get a Texas. That alone is worth it but there are plenty of other goodies you get. After your first game you get a Russian ship, Diana which I think is great for a new player. I would send you a link but don't want people to think I am trolling for referrals but just give it a bit and someone will hook you up. 
Edited by Taylor3006

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

Yep, your new average destroyer yoloer here. Sorry in advance if i'm on your team ;)

Since this is going to be my first post on the forums, might as well make it useful...

What ship lines do you recommend going down? I'm probably not going down a CV light straight off so i'm thinking either battleship or a heavy cruiser (even though my only tier 3 is a destroyer right now) so any recommendations? 

I am average but the past month I am winning...lots....for me.  Take what I say with a grain salt...am not that good.  Cruisers? Get St Louis (American) get Russian Boogie (monster) and the Svet.  I did this. The gig is they fire fast and furious and ROF is great.  The Russian cruisers in low tiers just have something going for em that is NOT in their description. Bad azz.....below tier 5. Pay not attention to the armor debate.  They are as good as any at that tier.  St Louis is a TANK.. Good luck.
Edited by dmckay

0 posts

Just need someone to send you a PM with a link for a referral. You have to be under service level three or you will have to redo your account. You get great stuff and once you get a tier 6 ship and play a game, you get a Texas. That alone is worth it but there are plenty of other goodies you get. After your first game you get a Russian ship, Diana which I think is great for a new player. I would send you a link but don't want people to think I am trolling for referrals but just give it a bit and someone will hook you up. 

RIP i'm at lvl 8 now. I kinda want to just grind my lines legit but i might try and redo my account. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,859 posts
30,564 battles

RIP i'm at lvl 8 now. I kinda want to just grind my lines legit but i might try and redo my account. 

IMHO it is worth redoing if you have access to another email account. Check Wargaming's main page, off to the right kinda low is a link called "Rewards". You get some awesome stuff, heck 80,000 free xp is nothing to sneeze at. Not getting a referral code when I first started is one of my biggest regrets about the game.

0 posts

IMHO it is worth redoing if you have access to another email account. Check Wargaming's main page, off to the right kinda low is a link called "Rewards". You get some awesome stuff, heck 80,000 free xp is nothing to sneeze at. Not getting a referral code when I first started is one of my biggest regrets about the game.

But isn't have 2 accounts against the EULA?

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

When it comes to cruisers, hard to say, Germans aren't bad, after tier 4-5, and USN I think gets to heavy types, but can be tricky to play. IJN is pretty solid with decent torps to boot, but arcs are terrible (basically use as you retreat).

BB's it really depends. German BB's are good for aggressive players, they struggle at range, but you need to be smart, and remember tat they burn easy and out of control. USN ships are slugs, but good all rounders and well protected, and don't light on fire like soaked in kerosene.

Wait a while on CV's, were hoping for the rework soon for starters. But encountering them in battle, don't bash and say "CV OP" till you've played one and have at least 100 battles in whichever tech tree ones you eventually get (cumulative, not per ship), too many people have come balking like that and well, it's part of why CV balance is screwed up. Several have learned recently when trying them yeah, a CV can cause massive damage and win a game, but it is far from an easy button to do so.

[TOSEY]
[TOSEY]
Members
1,344 posts

Wow...referral codes? Never heard of them. Yeah, give players who have no clue what they're doing tons of XP and free ships.....it's potato fertilizer.

0 posts

Wow...referral codes? Never heard of them. Yeah, give players who have no clue what they're doing tons of XP and free ships.....it's potato fertilizer.

Do you think i'm that mindless? I won't hop into tiers that i shouldn't be in. I won't be that noob who buys a tier 8 at 30 games.....

Members
3,284 posts

I like the way you see the world. Your posts are always interesting. (Not sarcasm.)

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,859 posts
30,564 battles

But isn't have 2 accounts against the EULA?

I think playing two accounts would get you in trouble, you can always check with support if you are worried about stopping/deleting one account to make another. 

Not so sure giving a tier 2 Diana to a new player is going to hurt anyone. You have to grind to tier 6 and play a game before you get the Texas so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone who uses free xp to research ships that early in the game is just wasting free xp. Tier 1 is like 3 games, tier 2 about the same. There really isn't much of a grind until tier 5/6. 

[TOSEY]
[TOSEY]
Members
1,344 posts

I like the way you see the world. Your posts are always interesting. (Not sarcasm.)

I speak from some experience here. Very early on I got one of the only SCs I've ever received and it was 20 million credits. I had no idea what to spend it on so I took my only ships that qualified as a "premium" (Caledon) ground out tons of free XP by playing haphazardly just to get XP I could convert and bought ships and moved up and sucked all along the way. Worst thing I could have gotten so quickly was lots of "money" to spend and no idea how to really play the ships I got. I've been trying now for months to climb up from the potato-hood I put myself in early on.
Edited by KalishniKat

Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

Try them all and go down the line you find the most enjoyable to play.

What works for most, may not work for you and vice-versa.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

This. I've played to Tier 5-8 in everything except CVs. Every line has at LEAST one ship as a "keeper" besides whatever the highest tier ship is. I haven't played a line yet that I disliked overall, while almost every line has some "meh" ships, and maybe the odd stinker, I don't regret going down any of the lines.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Not what you think. Very low tier ships, and to get the Texas, you actually have to reach a tier higher.

Sign in to follow this