You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OKIES_NAVY

USS TEXAS SINKING

17 comments in this topic

[TXGUN]
Members
249 posts
19,062 battles

Today on the 4:00pm news update KPRC 2 in Houston reported the USS Texas is taking on water at an alarming rate.  Moored near the San Jacinto monument USS Texas has developed a severe leak in her 100+ year old hull plates.  Divers are assessing the damage and preparing to begin repairs once the extent of the damage is determined.  Auxillary pumps are in use and will remain active until the crisis has past.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

A) About the 5th thread today.

B) Like most news stories, it is sensationalized.  Crews are already working on it.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

She's not sinking, but only taking on water.

We've already got two threads I guess, but spread the news..?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,855 posts
30,560 battles

Not sure why they just don't set her in concrete like the Mikiska. I thought that is what they were going to do last time, must be some sort of engineering obstacle to it. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
391 posts
4,780 battles

Really though, she's been slowly sinking for the past 30 years.  Nothing new.

Still respect for our brave steel warrior though. :honoring:

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
375 posts
9,884 battles

Not sure why they just don't set her in concrete like the Mikiska. I thought that is what they were going to do last time, must be some sort of engineering obstacle to it

Setting a museum ship in concrete is not desirable because it does not allow  access to the exterior hull for inspections and maintenance. Most museum ships are stored in the water and moved to dry dock for inspection and maintenance on a schedule. Storage in water also allows the museum to be moved if necessary. The second most used method of ship curation is dry storage, when the ship is placed on a stand of some kind (blocks-frame-etc.). This method is more expensive upfront (requires more extensive facilities) and does not allow for easy movement of the ship, but does make inspection and maintenance easier.  Generally more "delicate" ships use dry storage (e.g. HMS Victory).

Members
242 posts
2,838 battles

I have been on the Texas multiple times and will probably try to get a job there next summer(however, in summer temp inside rises to 90-100 degrees as ventilation systems are inoperable). Can confirm that the Texas is a little low on funds. It would take about $1M to put her in drydock, which is the number one priority, and even more money to repair leaks and structural failures within the hull.

Putting her in drydock is a very real possiblity in the coming years, but currently there is just not enough funds to do it.

Plus the Texas has very little space between the bottom of her hull and the bottom of the sea channel, so if she "sinks" nothing will really happen. (this has happened before)

Edited by 457th_FighterGroup

[TXGUN]
Members
249 posts
19,062 battles

The first time I saw USS Texas was in 1958 and the ship was a mess.  Rust was overtaking everything above and below the water line.  The main deck was covered in concrete.  Those beautiful teak decks buried under an inch or so of concrete for "protection".  Since then the Battleship Texas association has done yeoman work in restoring and preserving the ship.  It appears its about time for another fund raising drive to put things back in order again. 

[WTP-T]
Members
42 posts
10,580 battles

Setting a museum ship in concrete is not desirable because it does not allow  access to the exterior hull for inspections and maintenance. Most museum ships are stored in the water and moved to dry dock for inspection and maintenance on a schedule. Storage in water also allows the museum to be moved if necessary. The second most used method of ship curation is dry storage, when the ship is placed on a stand of some kind (blocks-frame-etc.). This method is more expensive upfront (requires more extensive facilities) and does not allow for easy movement of the ship, but does make inspection and maintenance easier.  Generally more "delicate" ships use dry storage (e.g. HMS Victory).

I work with the staff on the ship often since I do living history for Texas Parks and Wildlife and the curator as well as the other staff that is over Region 4 told me that the primary issue that is hindering the preservation of the Texas is the yearly budget the state allocates to the ship. According to what I was told the state allocates $25 million(number floated around) a year for for basic maintenance of the ship. The project to drydock her and fully repair her, then to place her in a cradle and setup the area around the ship would cost at the minimum $60 million. The catch 22 is that the year budget is what has kept her afloat for this long so if they withhold the funds to build up to the $60 million(another number floated around) then she definitely wont make it. Simply put, its the classic issue with working with any government agency, not enough money to go around unless they cut certain things which really won't be cut.  
Edited by airkid1942

Members
22 posts

We visited the Texas in April of this year and, while they are pumping her out continuously, she is still afloat from what I could tell.  It was the first time I had been to see her as an adult and, even though she is very outdated and aged, she still has a sense of awe about her.   Several parts of the ship, including some of the lower decks were roped off for service so the Parks service is working on it.   She is still quite impressive and my kids loved the experience.  In fact, when we got back home, they insisted we take a look at the in game ship so that we could compare for accuracy and see the decks where we had just been.  Overall, it was a very good experience.   I am including some pics below.  Hope you enjoy!

IMAG0200_zpsxlcbnmr6.jpg

IMAG0205_zpsehzeq0rr.jpg

IMAG0202_zps367zhujf.jpg

IMG_3436_zps7bjyq4yg.jpg

Bofors!!  pew pew pew!!

IMG_3448_zps5ydaaan6.jpg

Looking towards the San Jacinto Monument.

IMAG0204_zps0lpwkrjw.jpg

3" Guns.

Edited by ElectricHellfire

Members
1,677 posts
3,060 battles

Don't think this is the first time they ship sprung a leak and it probably won't be the last . . . the Texas is well over 100 years old now.

[FOXDN]
Beta Testers
1,029 posts
5,029 battles

Theyve been talking about putting her in a permanent dry dock for years now. Not like Mikasas though. They wanted to put her up on pillars to show off the entire ship, while still letting people board her and look around. Problem is, from what I understand anyways, is finding funding. Those kinds of dry docks are expensive. This site shows a few examples. 

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks/battleship-texas-dry-berth-project/reports_and_correspondence

Members
89 posts
15,699 battles

I was there last year and of all the BB's I have seen (NC, MA, NJ, and MO), she was my favourite. She truly is a treasure. I mean the helm is just a thin brass wheel and a small chair to sit on! From a different era for sure. I found her in better shape than MA, worse than MO and NJ (no surprise since those ships were in commission much more recently). Still, all of them need big $$$ for decking, and other interior stuff to stabilise them. I made a donation. But what they really need is a billionaire that gives a crapto donate real funds. 

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,802 posts
20,770 battles

Money is always going to be an issue with any of the museum ships.

Several Museum ships currently have money issues and problems with aging hulls. Many of those hulls have not been drydocked since becoming museums. In most cases, when they were set up, no thought was taken to future hull needs. Look at the Alabama. A channel was dug and she was pushed in. She is essentially sitting on the bottom. I believe NC has the same issue. Intrepid had to be dug out of the silt from her berth to be drydocked.

Texas has been here before. In the 80s, several of her compartments were flooded and had she not been where she was, she would likely have sunk. Even after they got her afloat and were on their way to the drydock, Texas started to sink again. They have been planning the dry-berth for Texas for many years. The main issue has been money. The price for the dry-berth has been going up over time.

Mikasa is a different situation. Due to the Washington treaty, she was allowed to be kept by Japan, but as a historical museum ship. As such, she had to be rendered in-operational. Thus she is concreted in.

2 US ships, a DE and an SS  are technically dry berthed in Galveston.

[MITGS]
Members
22 posts
4,358 battles

Just make a Battleship Texas $10 Lottery ticket and use the proceeds to help fund the old girl. If they would actually use the funds it could happen.