Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rekkoff

How do you play Mutsu?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
259 posts

Seriously, how do you play this ship? Armor is crap, dispersion is horrible, secondaries are worthless kind of range, torps require you to bend over and present to fire. The biggest gripe I have is the armor. ANYTHING can pen you. So how are you supposed to play her? Tried close in, tried long range. Both dont work. Is she a broken ship or am I playing her wrong?

[CJN]
Beta Testers
719 posts
9,350 battles

She's a support BB. Playing her like a CA helps.

[RNGG]
Members
158 posts
5,358 battles

You don't play Mutsu, you blow up her C turret magazine while in port.

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

she have the biggest guns of tier6 but lack the "accuracy" of nagato,she have the easiest citadel to hit and use ww1 shells.

she is the antithesis of konig albert,completely average at any tier.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,167 posts
30,926 battles

First and foremost, read the battle and be absolutely paranoid about her armor / side protection.  It will catastrophically fail every time any BB gets a view of it with favorable angles.  This ship absolutely demands awareness, ignore that then it's that BB off to the side you weren't looking at that is going to kill you from 80% HP to 0% in one salvo.  That will happen!

Second, angle, angle angle.  She can present all her guns while having decent angles.  She works good in going towards or away a threat like that.  She's actually very good in kiting another BB to maintain a safer distance that is favorable for your comfort level of shooting.  She has above average speed, really the only "BB" that can overtake Mutsu at Tier VI with any ease is Dunkerque.  But your guns will overpower Dunkerque's protection at any angle.

Despite the massive Secondary Battery Mutsu has, she has more of them than Nagato at Tier VII, I don't advise seeking Secondary Range fights in her.  Her armor will fail and she maneuvers like a slug.  This is how you get deleted by other ships using Mutsu, by giving them the chance to get close and see her sides.

Ignore her torpedoes, do not base an attack off of using them as a feature.  To use them you have to present an almost perpendicular view of your sides to someone and that will get you insta-rekt really fast.

In addition, giving her CE makes her far more stealthy than her IJN tech tree counterpart, Fuso.  Fuso has terrible concealment range.  IIRC, with CE, Mutsu is about 14km and much more comfortable.  This lets Mutsu move around much more easily that Fuso simply cannot do.  This lets her "go dark" much more easily than Fuso.

Play Mutsu with a bit of range, angle away or towards the target works well.  Avoid knife fights but you can fight at shorter ranges IF you maintain a good angle and use speed to prevent the enemy from getting in too close or maneuvering to get a view of your sides.

If CVs are in a match, make an AA Cruiser like Cleveland your waifu, stay with the group.  Mutsu's AA is practically nonexistent, even Tier V planes will dance in your AA range and barely lose any planes.  If you're facing the likes of Tier VII, VIII CVs, you should be terrified of the skies.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
397 posts

All the statements seem to be true but 'You don't play Mutsu, you blow it up' is a good enough quote. But you have many wows players that complain that this ship and that ship is OP (overpowered right). Most all wows/wg ships are horrible to play (balanced that way). But to complain to the public and WG about a good ship...wows players may be the dumbest on the planet; bar none.

Edited by tincan_SC

Members
397 posts

First and foremost, read the battle and be absolutely paranoid about her armor / side protection.  It will catastrophically fail every time any BB gets a view of it with favorable angles.  This ship absolutely demands awareness, ignore that then it's that BB off to the side you weren't looking at that is going to kill you from 80% HP to 0% in one salvo.  That will happen!

Second, angle, angle angle.  She can present all her guns while having decent angles.  She works good in going towards or away a threat like that.  She's actually very good in kiting another BB to maintain a safer distance that is favorable for your comfort level of shooting.  She has above average speed, really the only "BB" that can overtake Mutsu at Tier VI with any ease is Dunkerque.  But your guns will overpower Dunkerque's protection at any angle.

Despite the massive Secondary Battery Mutsu has, she has more of them than Nagato at Tier VII, I don't advise seeking Secondary Range fights in her.  Her armor will fail and she maneuvers like a slug.  This is how you get deleted by other ships using Mutsu, by giving them the chance to get close and see her sides.

Ignore her torpedoes, do not base an attack off of using them as a feature.  To use them you have to present an almost perpendicular view of your sides to someone and that will get you insta-rekt really fast.

In addition, giving her CE makes her far more stealthy than her IJN tech tree counterpart, Fuso.  Fuso has terrible concealment range.  IIRC, with CE, Mutsu is about 14km and much more comfortable.

Play Mutsu with a bit of range, angle away or towards the target works well.  Avoid knife fights but you can fight at shorter ranges IF you maintain a good angle and use speed to prevent the enemy from closing in too close or maneuvering to get a view of your sides.

If CVs are in a match, make an AA Cruiser like Cleveland your waifu, stay with the group.  Mutsu's AA is practically nonexistent, even Tier V planes will dance in your AA range and barely lose any planes.  If you're facing the likes of Tier VII, VIII CVs, you should be terrified of the skies.

Impossible. In a random match You will always be broad-side to many ships at any one time...always.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,167 posts
30,926 battles

Impossible. In a random match You will always be broad-side to many ships at any one time...always.

Very possible if you pay attention to the map, where people are located, and keeping in mind if they are engaged.  The map?  There's tons of islands around, the maps for Tier VI ships are populated with them all over the place and that masks quite a bit.  It also depends on your position, if you are in the middle of the map then you is gonna get shot at from all kinds of unforeseen angles.  But manage your location, terrain, you can make it safer for Mutsu.

Here is an example, "Strait" map which is commonly used for Tier V-VI fights.

EYC2LtY.jpg

You can start at any of the 4 portions of the map with Mutsu, then sail up a bit and angle towards the middle of the map while presenting your entire main battery towards the lateral opposite of the map.  For example, I spawn with my BB in the SW part, I sail E a bit behind the DDs and with the Cruisers.  Then I point the ship towards the middle of the map to angle my protection to the threats I expect to see from the SE, while still presenting my entire main battery.  If the reds from the NE want to take long ranged pot shots, I'm bow on to them.

The islands in the NE will block LOS of the reds there if they want to shoot at me way in the SW, they'd have to be in the middle of the N part of the map or sailing right in the middle of the map.

If I need to turn away then I read the situation and will turn between reloads of the direst threats.  The islands of the Mid-West part of the map can help mask me so I can turn around and prepare a different course for attack.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
784 posts
62 battles

Serious answer: her guns are great and deal truckloads of damage. However, dispersion is trollish at times and the pen is about Bayern level so not great.

She feels most comfortable at mid range but can land surprising citadel hits at long range on US BBs rather reliable.

Her armour is relatively light so angling and clever positioning is kind of important. Last but not least her speed is great for a BB and allows for repositioning and temporary retreats if left alone.

All in all she's a great ship and something really special.

PS: forget about the torps. You rarely get to use them

Edited by lron_Dog_of_Jutland

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

You play her for those times you are low tier T6 in a T8 match, where all the other BBs are the Biz and Tirp, and you can strut around and laugh at their inadequate caliber. 

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,145 battles

I skipped her the first time she was on sale, but am considering picking her up on the upcoming Japanese weekend on June 23rd.

She'll definitely make a better BB captain trainer than Ishizuchi.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,205 posts
15,770 battles

Very possible if you pay attention to the map, where people are located, and keeping in mind if they are engaged.  The map?  There's tons of islands around, the maps for Tier VI ships are populated with them all over the place and that masks quite a bit.  It also depends on your position, if you are in the middle of the map then you is gonna get shot at from all kinds of unforeseen angles.  But manage your location, terrain, you can make it safer for Mutsu.

Maneuver like a black lab trying to figure out which ball to chase when the tennis ball factory blew up or in simpler terms weave like a drunk. This actually applies to every ship when it can be shot at, always present a changing profile.

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

In addition, giving her CE makes her far more stealthy than her IJN tech tree counterpart, Fuso.  Fuso has terrible concealment range.  IIRC, with CE, Mutsu is about 14km and much more comfortable.  This lets Mutsu move around much more easily that Fuso simply cannot do.  This lets her "go dark" much more easily than Fuso.

Play Mutsu with a bit of range, angle away or towards the target works well.  Avoid knife fights but you can fight at shorter ranges IF you maintain a good angle and use speed to prevent the enemy from getting in too close or maneuvering to get a view of your sides.

pretty much this, angle and watch biggest guns in tier if memory serves overmatch mechanics. 

[KAPPA]
Members
2,011 posts
10,560 battles

Mutsu is an interesting ship to play. I will freely admit that I have all of one battle's worth of experience with her in random battles, but I've played her quite a lot in co-op. I've never noticed her accuracy being all that bad, and the shells hit like a freight train when they connect right. The torpedoes are of limited use even in co-op, but I do make use of them once in a while. I don't recommend using them much in randoms. Your armor isn't as good as Nagato, nor is your secondary range worth building for. She seems to work best at midrange, at least as far as her guns are concerned. She can angle, but has some frontal weak points depending on how you are angled, just like the old A hull Nagato did. She'd be in a better place if two things were to happen; First, if he had an option for random matches with smaller teams, that would help with not being out flanked constantly, Second, if the matchmaking for tiers 4, 5, and 6 were to see a change that let them be top or mid tier more often. It's possible that we are just having tier based population problems and if more people played certain tiers more often rather than just shooting straight for the top and staying there, that might clear up this issue. If she faces BBs with only 14 inch guns, she can dominate the match just by bow tanking and overmatching their bow armor, if faced with 15s or bigger, she becomes more of a supporting ship, using her range and sharing the tanking with the other BBs on her team.

[FLEE]
Members
2,194 posts
4,953 battles

Seriously, how do you play this ship?

I take her out and sink ships.

Easy.

Sign in to follow this