Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Abo89

I can not do damage in the cleveland...

57 comments in this topic

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Idk what to do with this boat and all the tutorial videos just say hide behind a mountain and rain HE...

I'm getting better at knowing how to help with thr win, but I can't get any damage with this thing.

Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Take ifhe on your captain.  Lob AP at broadside targets, especially cruisers.  (It's surprisingly good.)  Learn to use the crosshairs to lead your shots, as this is especially important with the cleveland's slow shell arcs.

Do all of these things, and joy and victory will come to you.

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

Cleveland is a solid boat (supposedly she was even better before some massive nerf) and IMO she is pretty versatile. Amazing AA at her tier, AP at broadside cruisers and HE at everything else. Her shells float forever, so ranged shots take some getting used too. 

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Take ifhe on your captain.  Lob AP at broadside targets, especially cruisers.  (It's surprisingly good.)  Learn to use the crosshairs to lead your shots, as this is especially important with the cleveland's slow shell arcs.

My accuracy with it is only 1% lower than average, yet my damage is 7k less than average. I'm not missing more than. The next person. Is it possible I've just been uptierwd often? 

Members
1,019 posts
8,525 battles

Do not go in the front line, keep cover or chance to get cover, do not show sides, keep your distance.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Do not go in the front line, keep cover or chance to get cover, do not show sides, keep your distance.

I don't die nearlly as quickly. I'm talking about damage output.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Because of your relatively low shell caliber your HE shells are unable to penetrate 25mm of armor, so hits against the Battleships of your Tier or higher will result in several non-penetrations unless you hit the superstructure. But once the Superstructure is saturated you can only rely on fires to deal damage against the target.

That's why I would recommend IFHE if you either plan to stay at the Cleveland forever or if you will be ready to spend doubloons to retrain the captain once you get Pensacola. IFHE will increase your HE penetration and you will be able to penetrate 32mm of armor, or pretty much every battleship bow and stern you will ever face.

Members
1,019 posts
8,525 battles

Being alive = more dmg dealt, what else needs explanation ? use IFHE & Demolition Expert and spam HE shells, that is how you make 90% of your damage in a cleveland.

Edited by Pata1985

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Being alive = more dmg dealt, what else needs explanation ? use IFHE & Demolition Expert and spam HE shells, that is how you make 90% of your damage in a cleveland.

You assume I have a captain that High lol. I don't. So yes that could be the issue,  not survival. 

Because of your relatively low shell caliber your HE shells are unable to penetrate 25mm of armor, so hits against the Battleships of your Tier or higher will result in several non-penetrations unless you hit the superstructure. But once the Superstructure is saturated you can only rely on fires to deal damage against the target.

That's why I would recommend IFHE if you either plan to stay at the Cleveland forever or if you will be ready to spend doubloons to retrain the captain once you get Pensacola. IFHE will increase your HE penetration and you will be able to penetrate 32mm of armor, or pretty much every battleship bow and stern you will ever face.

I figured this as many if my shells break. 

[FAQUE]
Members
523 posts
8,092 battles

Not to be mean, but I think US CAs might not be the best line.  In my opinion, they are one of the most difficult in the game to play well.  Bad spot range, shells that float, poor armor, and large citadels...

Now they can be good in the hands of a unicum, but for most people I'd say it would be better to go with a different line until you feel confident in your CA play.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Not to be mean, but I think US CAs might not be the best line.  In my opinion, they are one of the most difficult in the game to play well.  Bad spot range, shells that float, poor armor, and large citadels...

Now they can be good in the hands of a unicum, but for most people I'd say it would be better to go with a different line until you feel confident in your CA play.

I don't find it offensive at all. As long as I'm winning that means I'm doing something right. I just want to be alle to do more damage

Edited by Abo89

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

I think it's important to note, I use USN DDs with the same guns. I have no clue how I can average more gun damage in my Farragut than the Cleveland...

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,055 posts
24,358 battles

My accuracy with it is only 1% lower than average, yet my damage is 7k less than average. I'm not missing more than. The next person. Is it possible I've just been uptierwd often? 

Your HE may be hitting the hull rather than the superstructure. Your HE will penetrate and cause fires on the superstructure. It will shatter and be the subject of ridicule and scorn if it strikes the hull. That 7k damage could easily be due to not starting fires consistently and shells shattering harmlessly on the hull rather than causing damage.

Respects,

Am

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Your HE may be hitting the hull rather than the superstructure. Your HE will penetrate and cause fires on the superstructure. It will shatter and be the subject of ridicule and scorn if it strikes the hull. That 7k damage could easily be due to not starting fires consistently and shells shattering harmlessly on the hull rather than causing damage.

Respects,

Am

I know it's this,  sadly without better graphic settings, it's near impossible to tell where I'm hitting the ships as there are no landing graphics at distance for me. 

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I think it's important to note, I use USN DDs with the same guns. I have no clue how I can average more gun damage in my Farragut than the Cleveland...

Well, presumably you're using the torpedoes on the Farragut as well. Also the Farragut does not have the same guns as Cleveland. 

Basically though, you have to rely on hitting the superstructure of battleships, baiting broadsides, and lighting fires. 

Edited by SergeantHop

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

... what is happening there is WG is screwing your shot damage over .... they can 'arrange' things any way they want to .... it's their programming, after all .....

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Well, presumably you're using the torpedoes on the Farragut as well. Also the Farragut does not have the same guns as Cleveland. 

Basically though, you have to rely on hitting the superstructure of battleships, baiting broadsides, and lighting fires. 

We'll for all intensive purposes they are very similar and the Farragut guns are inferior. I actually don't use the torps very much on the Farragut cause of them only having 6.4km range.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,309 posts
15,806 battles

Inertial Fuse is excellent for the Cleveland as it will help against armored targets its AP doesn't work well against.and the fire rate will still be frustrating for the victions. However, the AP suggestion is spot on.

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
3,641 posts
18,962 battles

... what is happening there is WG is screwing your shot damage over .... they can 'arrange' things any way they want to .... it's their programming, after all .....

Ya, didn't you know? In the last patch they made it such that your shells are more likely to shatter while your enemy's shells are more likely to pen.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Inertial Fuse is excellent for the Cleveland as it will help against armored targets its AP doesn't work well against.and the fire rate will still be frustrating for the victions. However, the AP suggestion is spot on.

I do use AP on any cruiser under 10km broadside as long as he isn't going into a turn and I missed my chance. I normally switch if he is going out of a turn or is going strait for a while. 

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

Ya, didn't you know? In the last patch they made it such that your shells are more likely to shatter while your enemy's shells are more likely to pen.

I'm not saying anything like that. I just known that most 6+ tier ships can shatter the shells.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

You assume I have a captain that High lol. I don't. 

How do you not have DE on a Cleveland captain? Did you pick some other 3-pt. skill?

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

How do you not have DE on a Cleveland captain? Did you pick some other 3-pt. skill?

I do,  I don't have the 4 point skill IF HE yet

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

They aren't the same guns. They have a similar arc, but they fire more than twice as slow, becausr they're 6" instead of 5". But they also have twice the chance to light fires, which isnwhere a lot of your damage will come from in Cleveland.

Although to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it either, it was my worst performing T6 CA. Maybe the best advice is just to muddle through it.

Members
1,464 posts
806 battles

They aren't the same guns. They have a similar arc, but they fire more than twice as slow, becausr they're 6" instead of 5". But they also have twice the chance to light fires, which isnwhere a lot of your damage will come from in Cleveland.

Although to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it either, it was my worst performing T6 CA. Maybe the best advice is just to muddle through it.

I ment performance wise. 

Sign in to follow this