Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jakajan

Which would you rather see as a Premium Shiratsuyu? Shigure or Yudachi or both?

50 comments in this topic

[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

Shigure has more history behind her. Yudachi yoloed into the Uss Portland.

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

I was thinking it'd be awesome if WG did a dual release of two Shiratsuyu at the same time. Sell one for $30, your pick of either Yudachi or Shigure, but for $15 more you could get both in a package to roll the bonus multipliers, or always be able to have a premium Shiratsuyu out to sea, just to have both.

Edited by Jakajan

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

Honestly, I'd rather have Ikazuchi(Thunder) or Inazuma(Lightning). The Akatsuki's are much more versatile and well rounded, and would make a more comfortable mid-tier IJN DD premium than than the Shiratsuyu's, in my opinion.

However, for the sake of the poll, I voted for Shigure, simply because she's the more interesting ship with some impressive history behind her. The only thing I'm aware of that Yuudachi is known for is being a cute anime girl with a verbal tic.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

Honestly, I'd rather have Ikazuchi(Thunder) or Inazuma(Lightning). The Akatsuki's are much more versatile and well rounded, and would make a more comfortable mid-tier IJN DD premium than than the Shiratsuyu's, in my opinion.

However, for the sake of the poll, I voted for Shigure, simply because she's the more interesting ship with some impressive history behind her. The only thing I'm aware of that Yuudachi is known for is being a cute anime girl with a verbal tic.

I thought hard about Inazuma. She has a beautiful name and a nice history too! I would like her or Ikazuchi a lot because of their "rescue" mission and assorted accomplishments. The only problem I have with Ikazuchi is many players may confuse her name and Ishizuchi, newb mistake I know, it's like confusing kowai and kawaii, but it happens.

Yudachi did fight, she was sunk while attempting to surrender to a US boat. She was involved in a lot of confusing and unclear operations actually hence why her Kantai character has a "ish" verbal tic. Also her Kantai character has white flags on her because of her story of being sunk while trying to surrender. Supposedly IJN Yudachi had white flags decorating her hull and masts.

Edited by Jakajan

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Bogus poll, OP. You fail to allow a No vote. Talk about being biased.

We don't need any more higher tier premiums and their imbecile owner/players ruining battles.

Edited by aethervox

[CUTE]
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

We will see a prem akatsuki being hibiki at somepoint. Poi wasn't trying to surrender her crew run a bed sheet up her mast to use as a sail after her engines were knocked out maybe by friendly fire. The crew of the Portland thought it was a white flag and got pissed since she continued to fire. 

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,846 battles

Bogus poll, OP. You fail to allow a No vote. Talk about being biased.

We don't need any more higher tier premiums and their imbecile owner/players ruining battles.

Ya kinda meh about Shigure or Yudachi; I would actually like to see the one that went to Russia (I forgot the name, but she's a loli boat for sure). Japanese hull and stealth with Russian 130s and torps would be pretty awesome. Maybe T7 or T8.
Edited by pikohan

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

Ya kinda meh about Shigure or Yudachi; I would actually like to see the one that went to Russia (I forgot the name, but she's a loli boat for sure). Japanese hull and stealth with Russian 130s and torps would be pretty awesome. Maybe T7 or T8.

Vernie or Hibiki both have options of doing that, same with Tan Yang I think, which was Yukikaze in Taiwan? Sorry if I have my facts slightly off. Using my memory here.

Members
604 posts
8,367 battles

It would be nice if WG just sell the camo for them, and once you mount it on the Shiratsuyu, your ship name changed to "yudachi" or "shigure" and with their ship name displayed on the side of the ship.

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

It would be nice if WG just sell the camo for them, and once you mount it on the Shiratsuyu, your ship name changed to "yudachi" or "shigure" and with their ship name displayed on the side of the ship.

Well, that is almost what I am asking for except that she would be listed as Shigure or Yudachi not Shiratsuyu in the ship battle list.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

If there's any IJN DD premium we'll be seeing soon, it's probably Tan Yang (nee Yukikaze), a Kagero transferred to the Taiwanese Navy, or perhaps Verniy (ex-Hibiki).  WG is likely using Admiral Makarov (ex-Nurnberg) as some sort of experiment for how to implement reparated warships, so they're likely trying to tap into those ships for some premium content soon.

Tan Yang will be interesting to see in-game for sure - her rear turrets were replaced with 100mm/65 Type 98 DP guns, while her forward turret was replaced with a 127mm/40 Type 89 mount (all of them in kitbashed, originally-designed turrets to boot), while she retained her torpedo tubes.  In 1953 she had all of her guns replaced with 5"/38s, all of her 25mm guns replaced by Bofors, and her torpedo tubes each replaced by a 3"/50 MK34 single mount.  A post-1953 version could make an interesting citadel-less light cruiser/gun-only DD premium at T5 or T6, and a pre-1953 version (probably with the main battery unified) could fit at T7.

Verniy isn't nearly as unique as Tan Yang in armaments, but she's famous in her own right (no small thanks to KanColle) and, should cross-nation training become a thing with these kinds of premiums, train for Russia and Japan instead of Pan-Asia and Japan.  Ironically, she'll also be stronger in-game despite being more detectable and lighter (i.e. less HP) due to her armament: 3x2 130mm B-2LM guns (the same guns as Kiev and Tashkent), 3x2 standard Russian torpedo launchers (identical to a Gnevny's torpedo battery), and 7 twin 25mm 2M-3 mounts.  Give her Ognevoi's 53-39 Mod. 3 torpedoes, and she would easily be a great T8 premium.  As much firepower as a same-tier Russian DD to mow down DDs that can spot her, IJN DD concealment to avoid being spotted in the first place, and stealth-torping ability.

Edited by TenguBlade

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,054 posts
8,280 battles

Hibiki you mean. :B

thumb-1920-710594.png

Also, she didn't went to Russia. She was turned over as a War Prize FYI. :) :P

In Soviet service[edit]

On 5 April 1947, Hibiki was turned over to the Soviet Union at Nahodka as a prize of war, and placed in service with the Soviet Navy under the name Verniy (RussianВерный "Faithful" About this sound Pron.), after being rearmed with Soviet-made weapons (six 130 mm guns, seven 25 mm guns, four to six 12.7 mm machine guns, and six 533 mm torpedo tubes). She was placed in service with the Soviet Pacific Fleet based at Vladivostok on 7 July 1947. She was renamed again on 5 July 1948 as Dekabrist (RussianДекабрист "Decembrist"). She stood at the piers almost a year, waiting for rearming, before being retired from active service and used as a floating barracks ship, until retirement from service on 20 February 1953 and transferred to the OMS resourcing fund. Eventually, she was used as target-practice somewhere in the 1970s, where she was finally sunk.

The wreck of Hibiki lies close to Karamzina island near Vladivostok, 27 meters deep, and can be explored with diving gear. Local diving tours in Russia for exploring the wreckage can be arranged as well.[12]

Beta Testers
11,669 posts

The Shiratsuyus have busy if not outstanding combat histories and its rare to see a single class where most of its ships deserve to be premiums or heroes.  

The attention given to Shigure and Yudachi should no way diminish that of other ships like Murasame, Samidare, Kawakaze, etc,.  Kawakaze is the ship that likely blew the bow off the Pensacola in the Battle of Tassafaronga.  

For some reason for the Japanese Navy and for the nation, the Murasame appears to be most revered.  It has a monument to its crew, and two post war classes are named after this ship.  

The modern Murasame class, has sisters named after three of the Shiratsuyu class destroyers --- Yudachi, Samidare, and Harusame.  The class also honors Fubuki/Akatsuki class destroyers that fought along with the Shiratsuyus in Guadacanal and the Solomons --- the Akebono, Inazuma and Ikazuchi.  And one Hatsuharu class destroyer as well --- the Ariake.

Edited by Eisennagel

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

None, reskinned tech tree ships sold as premiums is lame.

[CUTE]
2,048 posts
11,680 battles

Shigure could have better aa that she got late war.

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

We will see a prem akatsuki being hibiki at somepoint. Poi wasn't trying to surrender her crew run a bed sheet up her mast to use as a sail after her engines were knocked out maybe by friendly fire. The crew of the Portland thought it was a white flag and got pissed since she continued to fire. 

I was avoiding suggesting Hibiki because I fully expect 'Hibiki' to be in game as a Russian premium DD under the name Verniy.

I personally would rather have a mid-tier IJN premium DD. I think the IJN is sorely lacking in decent mid-tier premiums compared to the other nations, especially those that have more than two lines(including splits).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[NNC]
Members
1,186 posts
22,147 battles

Well, the story of her surrender to the Portland is told differently by different groups I guess. It has become somewhat of a tall tail.

I don't think whit sheets could have possibly worked as a sail boat for that ship. I also heard they had lifeboats in the water when spotted by the Portland.

Beta Testers
11,669 posts

If there's any IJN DD premium we'll be seeing soon, it's probably Tan Yang (nee Yukikaze), a Kagero transferred to the Taiwanese Navy, or perhaps Verniy (ex-Hibiki).  WG is likely using Admiral Makarov (ex-Nurnberg) as some sort of experiment for how to implement reparated warships, so they're likely trying to tap into those ships for some premium content soon.

Tan Yang will be interesting to see in-game for sure - her rear turrets were replaced with 100mm/65 Type 98 DP guns, while her forward turret was replaced with a 127mm/40 Type 89 mount (all of them in kitbashed, originally-designed turrets to boot), while she retained her torpedo tubes.  In 1953 she had all of her guns replaced with 5"/38s, all of her 25mm guns replaced by Bofors, and her torpedo tubes each replaced by a 3"/50 MK34 single mount.  A post-1953 version could make an interesting citadel-less light cruiser/gun-only DD premium at T5 or T6, and a pre-1953 version (probably with the main battery unified) could fit at T7.

Verniy isn't nearly as unique as Tan Yang in armaments, but she's famous in her own right (no small thanks to KanColle) and, should cross-nation training become a thing with these kinds of premiums, train for Russia and Japan instead of Pan-Asia and Japan.  Ironically, she'll also be stronger in-game despite being more detectable and lighter (i.e. less HP) due to her armament: 3x2 130mm B-2LM guns (the same guns as Kiev and Tashkent), 3x2 standard Russian torpedo launchers (identical to a Gnevny's torpedo battery), and 7 twin 25mm 2M-3 mounts.  Give her Ognevoi's 53-39 Mod. 3 torpedoes, and she would easily be a great T8 premium.  As much firepower as a same-tier Russian DD to mow down DDs that can spot her, IJN DD concealment to avoid being spotted in the first place, and stealth-torping ability.

As an experiment the Makarov is rather poor, with the only thing Russianized is the employment of 37mm V-11 AA guns.  

Verny though can be in a different state.  She went to the Russians with no guns, completely stripped, not even her torpedo tubes.  The Russians would have to fill her.

Each IJN dual mount is 32.5 tons.  That means a 32.5 ton in the front, two 32.5 tons in the rear.  The Russian 130mm single mount is around 12 tons, but the dual mount is 49 tons.  

Too light, the ship would sit too high in the water and it won't be stable.

Too heavy in the front and it becomes bow heavy.

Can't put too much weight upside because the ship will be top heavy and the IJN already has these issues.

So you cannot put 3 B-2LM turrets as the ship becomes severely overweight.  Unless maybe you take out the turret covers, to make the mounts open, leaving only the front part to act as a gun shield.  

If you put one B-2LM turret in the front, and a second in the rear it becomes manageable but the center of gravity is off.

The other configuration is two single mounts in front, the second on a higher pedestal, a single mount in the rear pedestal, then a dual mount on the end.  This is what I would personally prefer.

Alternatively, two single mounts in the front, and four single mounts in the rear.   Turrets 3 and 4 are facing opposite of each other, Turret 3 forward, Turret 4 aft, Turret 5 and 6 similarly, one forward, one aft.  

Russian torpedoes are lighter than Long Lances. Might need to stuff more AA as weight to balance the ship.

Its better for Wargaming to check the archives what the actual planned configuration for the Verny is.

Edited by Eisennagel

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

Personally I think IJN has enough premium DDs for now.  They could really use a mid-tier premium cruiser however.

Sign in to follow this