You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Lillehuntrix

Fletcher clear skies?

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

I just had a teammate get clear skies in a Fletcher, with 54 plane kills.  Yes, they were tier 7 planes, but still.

I'm only beginning Benson.  Does the Fletcher...do this?  Are you kidding me?  I know it can run DFAA and has good AA for a destroyer, but no idea it was this good.  (Or is this an anomaly?)

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,466 battles

I would say anomaly. It has decent AA for a DD and DFA. That said, it is a stretch, and a very cooperative CV, one of the ones that never learn.

I got Clear Skies this week in Texas against two CVs. You'd figure after losing the first 10 planes in a few seconds they would learn. Nope.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,684 battles

Clear skies has eluded me in both my Atlanta and Cleveland. One day, maybe I'll get that one to complete the collection.

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

I got one in NC.. my first. Totally unexpected, though NC has great AA... just lucky I guess.

B

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

I got 24 planes in my fletcher I think once.... it has really high end AAA for a DD... maybe the best in the game...espsecially when set up for AA with the consumable

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Well, witness, I guess.  And yes, a red CV who was persistent to a fault.

Strange game in a lot of ways.  We had good DD play across the board, them, not so much.  (I got first blood and my only kill landing the finishing shot on a Mahan who seemed to believe only in the W key.  This was not a great achievement, as he was charging our Fletcher and Ognevoi at the time.)  Then there was the 7 minute long anti-Semitic rant that three members of the other team got into in all chat, leading I'm sure to multiple reports (I certainly did) and a certain amount of pleasure when they were sunk.  After my run in with the NSDAP-Kartoffeln, I was done for the day.  At least something positive came out of this mess.

Members
86 posts
1,675 battles

I wonder if you specced it out for AA, like captain skills and all how good it would be? With manual AA I guess really good but you would probably have to give up other skills that help your guns or torps. Would be interesting but I don't think I would ever try it lol 

[GLF]
Members
1,351 posts
24,202 battles

I had my first clear skies in sims on sat.  40 planes down.  It can be done, but like was said before, it takes a compliant CV captain that keeps throwing planes your way.  

Members
123 posts
232 battles
On 6/11/2017 at 9:53 AM, Khafni said:

Clear skies has eluded me in both my Atlanta and Cleveland. One day, maybe I'll get that one to complete the collection.

Not bad for a DD, pretty sure I've only got a few clear skies in the Atlanta and that's only from ambushes and noob CV drivers lol

[SPACE]
Beta Testers
55 posts
7,909 battles

I've dropped 69 planes in my Fletcher and gotten clear skies in it (separate occassions). I regularly down 30+ planes in the very few matches I see CVs in.

[SPACE]
Beta Testers
55 posts
7,909 battles

And again tonight: 53 planes (52x of Essex), clear skies, Fletcher.

Of course had zero campaign missions queued with a Clear Skies requirement.

WorldOfWarships 2017-08-21 17-42-35-26.jpg

WorldOfWarships 2017-08-21 17-42-46-88.jpg

WorldOfWarships 2017-08-21 17-42-50-70.jpg

• Cool 1

[FT]
[FT]
Members
30 posts
25,203 battles

I ran a full spec AA build on my Gearing aa few months ago. Ate the planes but, you just didn't run into CV's the way you do in a Fletcher. Switched it to a torp/rpf build. Recently, I respecced my Fletch' cap to full AA. Eats dem planes!. Current record is 51 vs a Enterprise (T7 planes?). 45 vs Shokaku and somewhere in the 30's vs t9's. Just got done with the AA portion of the second Yamamoto campaign. Knocked out something like 175 planes in a day of grinding. Of course, the downside is your avg. exp and credits goes in the crapper. Without the torp reload, the Fletch' can be quite anemic for all the other tasks required of it in game. I'll probably respec back after this current campaign is over.

-JJ

Members
842 posts
8,155 battles

With all due respect, in order to get a Clear Sky at T7 and above in anything that's not another CV, you have to be facing an idiot CV.  Or one who is so desperate to stop a winning cap that they're willing to throw massive numbers of planes at you just to stop the cap. 

It's possible when you're T7 and have something that a T5 or T6 CV doesn't know is powerful AA (like a Gneisenau that's got a good secondary build with AFT and BFT).   But even then, after the first wave gets eaten, anything but a stupid CV is going to go look for other prey.

I've asked in the T8 through T10 games I've been playing a lot this past month (something on the order of 200 games or so) - typically late at night when all the potatoes are asleep - and no one up there has said they've seen a Clear Sky in anything but a CV for at least 6 months.