Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ajatcho

Scenario for best ship poll (Defense of Naval Station Newport)

17 comments in this topic

Members
943 posts
4,083 battles

so many ships to play though only a few of them are worth to be used just like ranked battles :coin:

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

cleveland is da best.    you need high dpm/AA.   and 1 Ruijo  to the group and you are in great shape.  

[NAVAL]
Banned
1,416 posts

Recommend changing the poll to include partial answers ie: I have not and will not play a DD or CV in this mode therefore I am not qualified to vote on DD and CV.

[MAUS]
Members
13,795 posts

Cleveland is arguably the best ship for this scenario.  You can't go wrong on maximizing the number you take.  She is a DPM monster.  She doesn't rely on torpedoes (which bots dodge rather well) to do her damage.  The only downside is her range but due to spotting limitations, this doesn't hurt her much.  Good runners up are Budyonny and De Grasse for the same reasons.

For Battleships, you need speed.  Anything that can't pile on at least 23 knots should be avoided.  Bots are dumb and will tend to bow in, so overmatch mechanics are nice to have but not absolutely necessary.  Best in class is probably Mutsu or Fuso.

For destroyers, you want some guns, some torpedoes.  Farragut's fish are too short ranged and using them will get her killed.  Shinonome is probably the best pick, followed by Gremyashchy and Anshan.

There's no contest when it comes to CVs.  Take Ryujo.

[EF21]
Members
9 posts
26,330 battles

Bayern: for a BB avg 100-120k damage 4-6 ship kills, it is a tank and has faster fire rate and speed than the New Mexico.

Cruiser(s): Budy and Leander (fire breather) and leander with prem smoke and JOT

How to beat the K carrier in the Final Assault:

Leander works well for this with prem. smoke and -5 on consumables or JOT.

• Trick send to outer limit off middle sit and wait till the rounds progress. Ships appear smoke attack and wait it out. Or just wait (at the outer barrier)till final assault and once the K carrier is seen attack and kill. Now you need your team to have a good defense minus your ship. Best is to let them know your plan. 
  • Or sit middle (near outer barrier hint: island) stopped wait till the next round appears immediately pop smoke. You can whittle them down and get 1 or 2 kills as they move toward your base and fleet at home port.
Edited by SeaWolf26

Members
672 posts
2,946 battles

Clearly the player base feels that best CV is an AS Bogue, since I've had 3 of them on my team in like 6 games.  

Why yes we lost every time, why do you ask?

[EF21]
Members
9 posts
26,330 battles

I find a carrier in this scenario not a good match for the game play, unless the player is very skilled. 

The carrier needs to be smart with its torp planes and not lose them early or a carrier is a major handicap in this mission.

Members
800 posts
7,594 battles

I find a carrier in this scenario not a good match for the game play, unless the player is very skilled. 

The carrier needs to be smart with its torp planes and not lose them early or a carrier is a major handicap in this mission.

I'm yet to get less than 100k damage in one, and I'm a pretty meh CV player. The bots are pretty easy to predict so it's hard to miss your torps, plus you can make the ships close to your base go slow or show broadside to your team, which is extremely helpful.

[EF21]
Members
9 posts
26,330 battles

Shiro than you know how to use the carrier in this map. There are lots who don't, once you play the map a few times you understand how the enemy deploys and like you said use the fleet ships at base for cover. I do at the end if there is myself and only one other person. 

[WOLF5]
Members
39,323 posts
31,553 battles

I haven't tried a DD in this Scenario yet.

I've used NM, Arizona, Dunkeke, Mutsu.  I just don't like how my BBs feel in the scenario.

Cruisers however are at home here.  You need DPM, especially when those DDs are creeping close to the defensive line and causing the optional to fail.  Cleveland has been great with an AA build while still retaining her capable guns.  There are times when you need fast firing, hard hitting guns to get better with shorter range and Cleveland perfectly fits that.  She also can take hits better than many of her same tiered peers.

The CVs?  I haven't used them but from watching Tier V & VI ones go, any of the Tier VI ones would work out well if they have at least 1 fighter present.  The presence of a CV with some fighter capability and a Cleveland on the team makes things easier but you also need good attack power to do good damage to ships.  There's some problems I have with the Tier V ones:

- No precise manual drops that the Tier VI ones get.

- Cannot Strafe aircraft and sweep entire groups out of the skies in one pass, relying on "Click 'N' Fight" gameplay where attrition really takes its toll on the Tier V fighters.

- Fewer aircraft reserves than Tier VI ones.

I see Bogue, Zuiho run out of planes every time, but Independence, Ryujo just keep on fighting through the entire match.  A CV with 0 planes is as good as dead.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
800 posts
7,594 battles

Shiro than you know how to use the carrier in this map. There are lots who don't, once you play the map a few times you understand how the enemy deploys and like you said use the fleet ships at base for cover. I do at the end if there is myself and only one other person. 

I was just disagreeing with the "very skilled" part. Even if you are average with carrier mechanics, CVs will work as long as you understand the objectives and how the bots play.

[EF21]
Members
9 posts
26,330 battles

Play the mode a few times and learn the AI pattern. The waves are the key there are 3 unless breached. I have figured out a way to negate the Kokau Carrier in the final assault, just sunk it before it launched a single plane.

The best ships Cruisers (listed best to worst)

Budyonny

Leander

Cleveland

I will let my stats speak to validate what I share. The key to getting 4 stars is as follows. You need a strong team that can cover the base while one ship (see above) moves to the outer barrier (middle left of the outer island). This is done after at minimum the 1st 2 waves of enemies. If you play it right you can do serious damage (example with the Budy I am able to get 7-11 cit hits in those rounds), stay on the flank of the enemy. The pattern is key here, once the middle is cleared of the first carrier and 2 battleships stay middle and angle to the barrier. Let your team cover the base ( this goes back to having a strong team and not having lost more than 1 ship to this point). The Kokau appears most often middle left and it takes a couple times in the mode to get the location right. Once you know where it will appear it is easy to kill if you are within 9km. The Budyonny will dispatch it in 30+ seconds running broadside to the carrier. The key is get it on fire first, it can't launch planes at this point switch to AP and fire. I have sunk it without it getting a plane in the air. Once you sink it head back to base and support your fleet and launch your spotting plane to attack from distance till you close to normal range of the guns. You can use the other ships in a similar fashion but, may take longer to sink the Kokau.h6cbFs.png

Edited by SeaWolf26

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,610 posts
7,430 battles

I've taken the Duca, the Graf, the Nurn....they all failed...

I then rolled out a Texas and dominated. 

It's all about dem guns....dem guns.

Might try an Aoba, 8 inch guns could be the right balance for those cruisers when you need to deliver citadels fast.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

In my experience, Nurnberg is the best cruiser to have in this mode, no doubt about it. Same rpm as Cleveland, but with higher velocity guns and torpedoes as well. The 360 rear turret are superb for the constant repositioning you'll have to do in this mode and her C hull has good AA for use against those pesky carriers. Nurnberg is so OP in this mode it oughta be illegal.

Really, you want to shoot for dpm, and dpm ships like Nurnberg, Buddy, and D'Aosta are arguably superior to Cleveland in this mode because they have better shell arcs and torpedoes. Stay away from 8" cruisers like Furutaka and Aoba.

130k damage and 8 kill game below.

7P2FazS.jpg

For battleships? Probably Mutsu. She's very versatile which help in this game mode. She's relatively fast, has big guns, oodles of secondaries and torpedoes if you find yourself needing them. I've also had success in Fuso and Dunkerque, NM and Arizona are arguably too slow as you will need to reposition often in this game mode, but I know some who have had success in them. I'd also stay away from Bayern, she's a brawling ship and in this game-mode, you REALLY want to avoid overextending.

I and the HINON clan have played about 15 of these scenarios so far and we have only lost 2 of those games, so this is reliable, trustworthy information from an experienced player in this mode. :)

Edited by dseehafer

[VF-10]
Members
42 posts

I have played both Ryujo and Indy CVs. I won in the Indy, but sunk more with the RJ. Indy's fighters shot down all of the enemy planes, while the DB and Torp planes erases those low tier ships with ease. Lost very few planes. RJ, with it's more squadrons could hit more ships, but I lost many of them to AA. I ran out of planes once the T7 CV showed up. The Indy's planes lasted to the end, but with only 2 attack squadrons, I couldn't farm out the damage like a RJ can.

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
791 posts
18,777 battles

I'm probably the odd ball.  I used the Perth and Leander for this mission and had good luck.  The Perth I love and I have a decent captain for the Commonwealth (not quite a 17 pt yet).  I usually do well in both, ~130-140K+ damage.  I don't have the Cleveland yet as I haven't gone too far in USN Cruisers.

Members
2,039 posts
14,276 battles

Clearly the player base feels that best CV is an AS Bogue, since I've had 3 of them on my team in like 6 games.  

Why yes we lost every time, why do you ask?

never crossed your mind it might be all those people have, did it?

Sign in to follow this