Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
OgreMkV

The Best Scenario Ship - Newport

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,348 posts
13,887 battles

Having played a few matches I have some thoughts on the ship choice for the Newport scenario. 

So far, my ship of choice is the Cleveland. Why? She has a decent AP for the first few ships with a high rate of fire. A few dozen citadels will take care of the first wave. She can quickly switch to HE for destroyers and the BBs in wave 2. She has pretty awesome AA for the third wave carrier. She's very maneuverable in order to get all the guns on targets that constantly change. 

I don't like BBs for this scenario. The rate of fire is too slow and the enemy is always bow on. The normal (read: poor) T5-6 accuracy and penetration will do significantly less damage over time. Also, they are not fast enough to respond to changing spawns of the enemy forces. 

Another cruiser choice is the Graf Spree, but the reload time on the guns is too high. Another choice is the Nurnberg, but the torpedoes aren't as useful (slower and shorter range than DD torps) and I don't think the torps are worth the reduction of barrels and loss of AA. 

I think that the Kamikaze-R is probably the best bet for DDs, having good, fast reloading torps. I've seen dozens of cases where there are 5 spreads of torps from 3 different ships converging on 1 enemy. Most of those are wasted, so reload time is important. 

The British cruisers can't change ammo and their smoke is rather less valuable in the scenario. The Russian ships are too slow to reload and have less barrels. I really think that volume of fire and actual damage is slightly better than range and damage potential. 

I have yet to try the American DDs, but I think they are the worst of two worlds... lower power and fewer guns and shorter range, high reload time torps. I will try the Farragut next and see how she compares to the Cleveland. Her rate of fire may help and she's a decent AA platform (not like the Cleveland though). 

Beta Testers
71 posts
8,727 battles

Molotov and Nurmberg have both worked out well for me but for different reasons.  Molotov is a great AP boat, those 180s can lay out a whooping but the lack of DPM requires you to plan a bit.  Additionally the torps are worthy for sinking the dumb AI BBs that come around islands.

Nurmberg has great rate of fire, 360 turrets and 6km torps and mediocre AA.  All around it handles the first two waves of Newport like a champ.  The tier 8/9 ships can be problematic but good positioning can help over come that.  All in all it seems to me that either of these are  solid choices for me.

Edited by Defender

[BONKS]
[BONKS]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
15,197 battles

For me, it appears to hands-down be the Cleveland. With a 7.2km no-fly zone, rapid fire, 12 guns, and IFHE, you can fulfill whatever role you need to. 

BBs melt under sustained HE fire, AI cruisers get wrecked with citadels, and DDs don't stand a chance.

Let's also take a moment of silence for the poor AI CV planes that wander into your AA bubble. 

Cleveland = easy 200k+ matches if you know what you're doing. 

One word of warning, don't get yourself in a position where you get focused by multiple ships; the Cleveland won't last long, as the AI gunnery is pretty much on the money.

[--V--]
Members
1,602 posts
14,841 battles

Cleveland, Kamakazi, Nurenburg and Konig.

Cleveland for everything already mentioned. 

Kamakazi - regularly did 150k+ matches

Nurenburg - nimble, fast firing and found if you stay near Liberty ships, you can deal with a LOT of damage.

Konig - I don't like BBs in scenarios either, but Konig has a faster ROF and pretty maneuverable.   Near the end I also park near a Liberty ship.  In one match I took on the Izumo alone and sank it.  But its all situational.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

Cleveland has something else going for it:  It DOES NOT have torpedoes.

Anybody who frequents Co-Op have seen bots do a lemming train towards the only DD in the match - even if it is away from the caps.

If there is no DD, they go after any cruiser with torpedoes - first.

I was thinking of taking the Okhotnik waaaaayyy out there so the bots follow me instead of attacking the base.

Lead the final wave on a wild bot chase.  Meanwhile, my team hits them in the broadsides.

Members
1,348 posts
13,887 battles

Cleveland has something else going for it:  It DOES NOT have torpedoes.

Anybody who frequents Co-Op have seen bots do a lemming train towards the only DD in the match - even if it is away from the caps.

If there is no DD, they go after any cruiser with torpedoes - first.

I was thinking of taking the Okhotnik waaaaayyy out there so the bots follow me instead of attacking the base.

Lead the final wave on a wild bot chase.  Meanwhile, my team hits them in the broadsides.

Keep in mind that the Scenario AIs are different than the Co-op AIs. I'm not saying that they are better (evidence suggests otherwise), but they are different. 

[SDIWO]
Members
1,218 posts
6,659 battles

Cleveland worked well for me but Leander also was a surprisingly effective ship. The torps come in handy for the BBs towards the end, positioned correctly you can citadel the cruisers without them being able to hit you back, and if things go sour you can pop a smoke for either yourself or your teammates.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,318 battles

don't do it; the AI will just delete you with planes which will follow you whether you can be seen, are detected, or not.

the AI cheats.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

Keep in mind that the Scenario AIs are different than the Co-op AIs. I'm not saying that they are better (evidence suggests otherwise), but they are different.

I did the math.  Gun-wise, the Gremmy is better than the Okhotnik due to the 5S reload of 4. .vs. 10S reload of 7.

Torpedo -wise the Okhotnik has twice the torps, at a higher speed, and they reload quicker.  The short range is moot because we are firing at bots.  Long distance blind torp firing is useless.

The Okhotnik has the best torpedo DPM of any ship in tier 5-6.

The only thing I have been unable to do is KEEPING NOOBS OUT OF MY FIRING SOLUTION....  happens every time....  die...  hurry up and die...  please die...   OK.. Fire.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,664 battles

Cleveland is my first choice but even Budyonny, if you can keep her in the second rank (behind BB or forts) will punish the bots, and is a good choice after Cleveland.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

don't do it; the AI will just delete you with planes which will follow you whether you can be seen, are detected, or not.

the AI cheats.

That's the idea.  If they are attacking me, the rest of my team gets a chance to heal up and take off some of that end-of-match stress.

The largest carnage of defenders is that last wave.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,534 posts
29,664 battles

I did the math.  Gun-wise, the Gremmy is better than the Okhotnik due to the 5S reload of 4. .vs. 10S reload of 7.

Torpedo -wise the Okhotnik has twice the torps, at a higher speed, and they reload quicker.  The short range is moot because we are firing at bots.  Long distance blind torp firing is useless.

The Okhotnik has the best torpedo DPM of any ship in tier 5-6.

The only thing I have been unable to do is KEEPING NOOBS OUT OF MY FIRING SOLUTION....  happens every time....  die...  hurry up and die...  please die...   OK.. Fire.

You don't have to worry about friendly fire in the scenarios. It says in Niko's patch notes that there is NO friendly fire damage except by ramming/bumping. Consider your weapons free at all times! :great:

Members
1,348 posts
13,887 battles

You don't have to worry about friendly fire in the scenarios. It says in Niko's patch notes that there is NO friendly fire damage except by ramming/bumping. Consider your weapons free at all times! :great:

I still make it a practice to check before firing torps. 

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

"In Operations, friendly fire is disabled. The only way to damage an ally is by ramming. Additionally your ships have a 0% detonation chance."

Found it.

Good Catch -- Thanks!!!

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Cleveland is my first choice but even Budyonny, if you can keep her in the second rank (behind BB or forts) will punish the bots, and is a good choice after Cleveland.

Nurnberg - German ships all the way, imho.

Members
692 posts
21,377 battles

On the PT I used Leander and it worked really good on the the Live Server I used Nuremberg and it worked great. DD's are a bad choice for Newport they just don't have the DPM (I even tried Farragut) 

Members
3 posts
5,249 battles

I've had great luck with the Nuremberg and the Konig. Even on the high tier ships you can get some easy damage from broadside hits at close range while they focus on shore batteries and other people. I actually had 8 kills in the Nuremberg a couple days ago.

Sign in to follow this