Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aschenblume

I am in a rut and need some advice.

16 comments in this topic

Members
38 posts
356 battles

Ok so Im still semi new here. Despite what my stats say Ive played the game for around 250-500 games. I've learned and adapted really quickly watching over a hundred hours of guide videos from Flamu, Notser, and IChaseGaming. But I've fell into a bit of a rut and need some advice to get out of it. 

Mainly my issue is how to deal with HE spam, positioning on maps, and how to defend my self against CVs. Time and time again I find myself getting focused and burnt to a crisp by HE spamming cruisers or getting bombarded by dive bombers and torpedo bombers despite being and overall getting singled out. 

I know the basics, angling, aiming, torpedo anticipation. But I feel as though I can't do much more than what Im doing. I want to get better at the game but am running out of ideas for what I can do by myself. 

Am I just too aggressive or is it something else? Please any actual advice is appreciated. 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,982 posts
3,253 battles

Don't be the closest player to the enemy ships, they always focus on the closest target.

As for carriers, play ships that they'd generally avoid... so, cruisers with decent AA and American ships. Otherwise stick around other ships on your team.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

The trick to dealing with HE spam is to simply not play BBs.

Members
38 posts
356 battles

Well so far all I really have are the Bismarck sisters and they really are supposed to be the main tanking brawlers.

[A-D]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts

Overall, it sounds like you might be out of position a bit. I know it can be frustrating when your team doesn't push but... there is safety in numbers. From both CVs and surface ships. Like HowitzerBlizter said, don't be the only opportune thing for enemies to shoot at.

Sometimes islands can be used as a type of cover to break line of sight and limit the enemy ships that can engage you. But this has its own dangers. Still, if you're playing close range ships like KM BBs or RN CLs, it might be worth learning to walk that fine line.

If, despite your best efforts, a CV singles you out, try this for evading torpedo strikes:

1. Throttle at full

2. Rudder at half, turning INTO the planes if possible

Then the planes come in low and are committed to the attack run, but before the torps hit the water:

1. Depending on how the CV tried to counter your turn, either move your rudder to full, or center/opposite 1 half

2. If he overled, set your engine to reverse.

As a denouement... don't keep doing whatever you were just doing. As soon as the torps are past, get back to angling your armor, put your throttle back up if you reduced it, and so on.

Members
381 posts
5,656 battles

getting singled out. 

for what I can do by myself

Usually means your out of position......too far on a flank or pushed up too far. 

Lone BB=Dead BB

If you had success early on you may be just having teething pains as the game changes from T5-T7 and again at higher tiers.

Try to push with a group, no need to prove yourself rushing forward blindly.

Manage your DC/Repair carefully. Experienced CV/CL drivers will watch to see if you put out a fire or repair flooding from a torp right away, or use your repair. 

Watch your mini-map, make it BIG and visible, the ebb and flow is all important. Know your threats, BB's can angle against other BB's and take some hits, Most BB drivers make fire spamming cruisers 1st priority.

Your still early and in the learning stage.

Edited by Lord_Adm_Nelson

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Don't go anywhere alone  in a BB. Stick with another BB or ideally a CA/CL. The Sisters are good Brawlers But only if you have back up. Don't rush the Battle. Let it form then focus on the mistakes made by the enemy. Support your CA/CL's with long range fire as they support the DD's with Range fire. One hand washes the other.  The CA/CL's will fight the air power and DD's the the DD's will spot other DD's all you have to do is maintain a close support to your team and the damage will add very quickly. The quicker your team eliminates the DD's the more freely you can advance. Let the Battle come to you and your support. I say at all times keep a max distance to your support of 4 km. Use Islands only if you need to for repairs. Be vigilant Keep a weathered eye on your Mini Map for changing tactics. Most important is communicate Your intentions to your support. Don't order them communicate with them.  

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
23,320 battles

Ok so Im still semi new here. Despite what my stats say Ive played the game for around 250-500 games. I've learned and adapted really quickly watching over a hundred hours of guide videos from Flamu, Notser, and IChaseGaming. But I've fell into a bit of a rut and need some advice to get out of it.

Mainly my issue is how to deal with HE spam, positioning on maps, and how to defend my self against CVs. Time and time again I find myself getting focused and burnt to a crisp by HE spamming cruisers or getting bombarded by dive bombers and torpedo bombers despite being and overall getting singled out.

I know the basics, angling, aiming, torpedo anticipation. But I feel as though I can't do much more than what Im doing. I want to get better at the game but am running out of ideas for what I can do by myself.

Am I just too aggressive or is it something else? Please any actual advice is appreciated.

What I can share ...

1. If you are getting HE spammed, chances are you are alone, or semi-alone, or your team mates would be focusing the reds.

so ... don't become separated from the herd ... er ... fleet.

2. Run the fire prevention skill at level 4;

because as long as battleships are just huge tuna boats in disguise, they will burn, baby, burn.

3. There are 3 things you can do about aircraft:

stay with team mates for AA coverage;

begin dodging when you see the planes and not when they drop;

run premium consumables for repairs and damage control.

4. Don't just hang with the big boys;

cruisers and even DD's can save your butt.

Probably the best way to avoid such situations is to division with good friends,

results can be astonishing with just a little support and co-operation.

and, YES, you probably are too aggressive.

I certainly am, and it regularly causes me pain and grief.

I've got 8K+ games; I'll let you know when I grow out of it.

Edited by Umikami

Members
117 posts
1,819 battles

Don't be afraid to turn tail and kite away while shooting.. keep an eye on where you are in relation to islands so you don't ground as well as other ships and use islands to your advantage. Alot of my time in cruisers is spent shooting and then turning away and running and then rinse repeat. And I'm not amazing but Ive been playing decent lately just from trying not to get shot while still trying to crank out damage. Also use your DDs smokes when you can. Try to tag along with a BB or cruiser or the fleet in general. The more you can shoot while remaining inconspicuous the better.

Edited by MrSoLiDIcE

Members
3,284 posts

Don't be afraid to turn tail and kite away while shooting.. keep an eye on where you are in relation to islands so you don't ground as well as other ships and use islands to your advantage. Alot of my time in cruisers is spent shooting and then turning away and running and then rinse repeat. And I'm not amazing but Ive been playing decent lately just front trying not to get shot while still trying to crank out damage. Also use your DDs smokes when you can.

Exactly. I'm almost always moving away from the enemy. It's one of the reasons I like Wyoming so much. She has four turrets in the back. They're optimally placed for my style. I find that seal-clubbing is rather enjoyable in Wyoming.

*sips juice*

Mmm.. (✿´‿`)

Edited by anonym_OlK73e329bMY

[13TH]
Members
4,899 posts
9,119 battles

BBs do not do well alone in close , buddy up with a Cruiser or a group of ships, dont hit your repair the instant your on fire, I play the Tirpitz a lot the secondary set up worked well for in close ships and I could focus on others

Members
1,140 posts
8,387 battles

Cruiser perspective: The Bismarck and Tirpitz combine "tanky" and "soft" in interesting ways.  The good news is that it is very difficult for other battleships to citadel you.  The bad is that you have a lot of sweet, sweet superstructure for me to land HE or, if you are broadside, AP in, the latter often for 5K or better a salvo.  Plus, depending on the cruiser, I may not fear your main guns nearly as much as I fear anything 16" or better, because I can bow tank you if given the opportunity.  So, yes, push, but push intelligently.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Well so far all I really have are the Bismarck sisters and they really are supposed to be the main tanking brawlers.

That's a bit of a pickle. Don't know how skilled your captain is in your case, but even the 14-15 pointer a player normally has at that point, is going to be specced for secondaries on Bis or Tirp, at the expense of fire mitigation.

I'm in the same boat. My Bismarck is more susceptible to fire than my Amagi or NC, because I don't have any anti-fire skills on it, whereas my NC at least has Fire Prevention, (effectively makes the superstructure 1 area instead of 2 for fire purposes) and my Amagi is fully specced vs. fire.

IOW, it's only going to get better if you max out a captain and throw in a fire mitigation skill, or you play a different BB, one that you'd add anti-fire skills to earlier.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

The trick to dealing with HE spam is to simply not play BBs.

That's a great trick, honest.

Instead of getting hammered by hundreds of HE rounds.

You can just die to a few Dozen.

Sign in to follow this