You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MississippiStateFan14

Weather Conditions

15 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
0 posts
3,632 battles

I hope at some point they add or implement a map(s) with it raining constantly. It begins to at the beginning of matches but it dissipates within a minute. I can understand it could affect low end computers and would cause fps issues. Just add a On/off switch in the settings menu for rain options maybe. I get bored of seeing the same maps bright af and would like to see more variation with weather conditions on the maps. Hope I'm not the only person shares this opinion. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
391 posts
4,780 battles

I would love to have a consistently rainy map with bad weather.  I just don't think it should decrease spotting range.  It should just be for looks.

Beta Testers
0 posts
3,632 battles

I would love to have a consistently rainy map with bad weather.  I just don't think it should decrease spotting range.  It should just be for looks.

Yes of course, I don't want it to decrease spotting range, just something to add to break the boring sunny maps. Heavy rain that is still able to be seen through. 

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

Driving rain should always reduce visability, radar and sonar. Driving snow shouldn't reduce sonar; sleet would. It is interesting, if annoying to have to play in diffefent weather conditions. It forces players to change strategies. Having weather just as eye candy would be a disappointment.

Changing the time of day is something that could be entertaining. Some maps would favor one side at sunset and the other at sunrise. Planes that attack with the sun behind them should be harder to damage. It would change the routes ships take when engaging the enemy. Make players work for it; at least at the higher tiers.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Yes of course, I don't want it to decrease spotting range, just something to add to break the boring sunny maps. Heavy rain that is still able to be seen through.

So, have programmers waste their time adding something that wouldn't affect your precious spotting range?

Yet things like rain & snow & sleet do affect spotting range.

I was in marine businesses for my working career & bad weather can make radars, effectively, useless (not often but it can happen).

What a stupid and useless proposal as suggested.

You want more weather effects? Then expect an alteration to spotting range.

I'm all for more weather effects but only if there's 'consequences'.

Members
84 posts
2,760 battles

So, have programmers waste their time adding something that wouldn't affect your precious spotting range?

I was in marine businesses for my working career & bad weather can make radars, effectively, useless (not often but it can happen).

​I was thinking the same thing about weather conditions affecting radar/Hydro/sonar. +1 to you for saying it before I did...lol...I'd kind of like a night option on a map as well. Mix weather and different times of day and you'll have to adjust and adapt just to stay in the match. I know I'm still a rookie, but I do agree. These relatively tame weather conditions on a continual basis tends to be a bit boring.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
11,850 posts
30,539 battles

IMHO since the "weather' (excluding cyclones) is only decorative, they need to allow a player to disable it. I find it distracting and it adds nothing to gameplay. Now if they implement the weather to affect actual spotting distance or the like, ok you can not disable it. I find it annoying in combat when you are dodging incoming fire only to realize it was freaking snowflakes. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
391 posts
4,780 battles

I completely agree.  I actually like the dynamic weather in games that reduces visibility.  However, I KNOW there would be massive backlash if the entire battle was like that.  Start to finish.  I agree that its a bit weird for a storm to reduce visibility in one case but not the other.  It would just have to work like that to please the players.

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
On 6/8/2017 at 10:56 PM, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

IMO, it absolutely should decrease spotting range, but not as severely as cyclones do.  Maybe a max spotting range of about 15 km. I think that it would create some variety if spotting ranges weren't always the same.  Spotting ranges ought to vary with the conditions.

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,668 battles
On 6/9/2017 at 10:13 AM, aethervox said:

Aether, is it really necessary to be so harsh in your reply?  I don't think so.

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

That's actually a really cool idea, different weather conditions make the environment change and can alter how you see the world. I'll speak to our team about your idea and suggest whether the idea is best implemented as decorative or a effecting visibility etc!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
14 posts
143 battles

I actually signed in to make a post about this. Would love to see an all rain map, what's the point in having rain if it will disappear in a few seconds when moving? Also having the possibility of having a night map would be amazing, have the ability to turn on all your warship lights (maybe even control the search light) or even turn them off completely to stay hidden/detection.

[WOLF8]
Members
90 posts
2,071 battles

I know I'm bringing back an older thread but I considered making a new one regarding weather conditions.  I know in WG Q&A they said they won't be doing a night map, stating the "cyclone" will be their only limited detection mode.  Why in the world wouldn't they at least make the cyclone a little more realistic?  Bring in fog and obscure everything outside of detection range.  I've found it odd that a cyclone hits and I can't see a ship at 8 km but I can see that mountain range at 50 km like it's a sunny day???  Have players rely on mini-map to avoid islands and for travel directions.  Bring in driving rain instead of what looks like a drizzle.  I'm all for changing up the monotony, such as weather conditions also.  Rain here and there or snow would be visually pleasing if it lasted the even half of some battles... not just 1 minute... really.....    

[SYN]
Members
236 posts
6,658 battles
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, Crucis said:

IMO, it absolutely should decrease spotting range, but not as severely as cyclones do.  Maybe a max spotting range of about 15 km. I think that it would create some variety if spotting ranges weren't always the same.  Spotting ranges ought to vary with the conditions.

I agree with you, Crucis.  Any weather should affect the battle in the way it would in real life.  It should affect radar, sonar (increased wave action reduces effectiveness, for instance) ...

[SYN]
Members
236 posts
6,658 battles
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, azgoodaz said:

I actually signed in to make a post about this. Would love to see an all rain map, what's the point in having rain if it will disappear in a few seconds when moving? Also having the possibility of having a night map would be amazing, have the ability to turn on all your warship lights (maybe even control the search light) or even turn them off completely to stay hidden/detection.

Oh, ... YES!  This is a GREAT idea!