Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JinghisKhan

New Game Type - Single Ship Type Combat

8 comments in this topic

Members
252 posts
3,227 battles

Wild (And completely unrealistic) idea: What if we had a game type where you were guaranteed to 'ONLY' play against ships of the same type as you? No more BB drivers whining about invisible DDs with their wicked torps and HE spamming CA captains. No more cruiser skippers wincing as bows and sides get overmatched by large caliber rounds. Instead, you'd find the following:

-DD games devolve into deadly games of torpedo spam and ambushes as hundreds of torpedo wakes fill the narrow gaps between islands.

-CA games are the most varied, with fragile RN cruisers smoking and flinging AP shells through the mist while the air is torn asunder by the heated vortex of passing HE shots. Catapult fighters and spotter aircraft barely stay aloft for a second as Defensive Fire rakes the heavens with shells.

-BB games are as they usually are-titans forming stately battle lines 14km apart and flinging shells till one side YOLOs and the conflict becomes a grand Charlie Foxtrot, filled with the thunder of heavy guns and the arcing shots of thousands of secondary guns.

-CV games... well, we'd need enough CV players first.

:D

Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

We actually had a game in Alpha testing where everyone brought a Carrier.  Carriers had just been introduced and we said, hey, what if...?

How do you spell LAG? Carriers everywhere, planes everywhere there weren't carriers, the sea turned frothy with torpedoes.  It was good for a laugh but no one was in a hurry to try it again.

Members
2,462 posts
39,298 battles

I'd like to see single combat open to any ship in a tier - just have that as a combat mode and get matched one on one.

You could specify same ship class or not.

[SPTR]
Members
28,237 posts
21,928 battles

I would want this as an April Fool's day event 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,858 posts
27,301 battles

Please no.

[TO31]
Members
477 posts
23,550 battles

Lets say this is well received. So well received, that it becomes the preferred battle mode. IJN DDs are forced into battles against US DD's. (who would play IJN DDs), IJNs CV only face US CVs......

Random Battles dies because of lack of players.

Suggestions on how to address the above issues?

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

I like the idea as a temporary mode for a weekend or something like that. Not a permanent mode, but it could be fun.

DDs Vs DDs should be torpedoes only. Otherwise IJN ships need not apply. Now before you say, well that would favor IJNs, it really wouldn't. Combat would devolve to pretty close range engagements to actually be able to hit other DDs with torps. At close range no one nation has much of an advantage with torps. Actually USN DDs might have the advantage.

Members
23 posts
9,535 battles

I love this Idea.
But, on a much simpler note.   What if they just added a  'Grudge Match" feature, where you could challenge a friend or foe to a one on one Grudge Match.   Sort of a dueling mode.

Lets say  we're on a team together in a co-op match.....you don't like my style, or i've accidentally released a salvo of torps on you because i was also watching Gold Rush Alaska while i was playing.  You right click me in the team roster and challenge me to a duel.   If i accept.....when our match ends, we are instantly launched into a new match, same map...with just OUR two opposing ships.
Then of course there would be an additional game mode from the port menu allowing you to hook up with other folks looking for a more intimate experience.
This might also help to conserve on server space because i believe that in a dueling mode situation, the player with the lowest ping could be used as the "server" for that match,  sort of the way that  COD and other earlier FPS games used to use player servers.

But, i'm not going to lie.  The idea of 20 DDs in a single map hunting each other like opening day of deer season is also exciting to me.
=)

• Cool 1