Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

Bayern ranked build?

22 comments in this topic

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

I'm curious what build Bayern Captains would bring to ranked.  Since my previous Bayern build was generated for upward progression, it got me thinking about the value of secondaries in the upcoming meta. I assume it comes down to personal preference, but I'd like to hear what others think....

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I honestly don't think bringing the Bayern into Ranked is a good idea.  You're going to be seeing a lot of DDs and BBs - while she excels at destroying the former because of overmatch, it rarely results in catastrophic damage that doesn't require you to pursue in order to finish them off.  Not to mention that even against other battleships, the Bayern is iffy beyond 10-12km.

DDs will put a stop to that very quickly despite her good maneuverability.  The derpy behavior of the guns and low number makes them very poor at killing DDs.  Her secondaries are mostly AP-firing as well, and T6 DDs can't be overmatched by AP shells.  In addition, you can't really bank on secondaries in general due to MCfSA being heavily-nerfed below T7.  Final nail in the coffin is her terrible detection range and the general un-viability of building German BBs for stealth.

Even the shotgun spreads of a New Mexico would find better use.

Members
2,428 posts
38,376 battles

I'll start with my Bayern and 14 point captain - turret rotation and 2ndary build - 7.6 km range there.

Haven/t played the Fuso - but she seems slow and easy to tareget when I face her.

Warspite I don't have.

I like my NM, but it is slower than Bayern.  And despite 50% more rifles with the NM, I still think Bayern speed and 2ndaries can target DD and keep them away if necessary.

I will add the 4 point fire skill when I get there - or put my 19 point Bis captain in there if needed.

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Right now my Bayern has the range extenders for secondaries, and the captain is set up for manual secondaries, but that's just because I also use him for Tirpitz and Bismark. Manual FC for secondaries is only -15% dispersion at tier 6, so dropping that and having them shoot at anything as a proximity warning alarm may be the way I go, if I use Bayern in Ranked.

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

I honestly don't think bringing the Bayern into Ranked is a good idea.  You're going to be seeing a lot of DDs and BBs - while she excels at destroying the former because of overmatch, it rarely results in catastrophic damage that doesn't require you to pursue in order to finish them off.  Not to mention that even against other battleships, the Bayern is iffy beyond 10-12km.

DDs will put a stop to that very quickly despite her good maneuverability.  The derpy behavior of the guns and low number makes them very poor at killing DDs.  Her secondaries are mostly AP-firing as well, and T6 DDs can't be overmatched by AP shells.  In addition, you can't really bank on secondaries in general due to MCfSA being heavily-nerfed below T7.  Final nail in the coffin is her terrible detection range and the general un-viability of building German BBs for stealth.

Look at my stats in my sig. I just started playing. I could run another line, but I would not have much...if any...experience in it.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Look at my stats in my sig. I just started playing. I could run another line, but I would not have much...if any...experience in it.

You can make it work. Is there a certain rank you are wanting to reach?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

New Mexico and Bayern really aren't that different besides the different main battery (12 14" guns instead of 8 15" guns) and the fact that NM can occasionally take a citadel if you're not careful.  Both of them are extremely tanky, they're both pretty slow, and have bleh dispersion at range (though New Mexico is more reliable due to having more shells in the air).

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

You can make it work. Is there a certain rank you are wanting to reach?

Things are starting to click in terms of strategy and understanding the German role so I figured I would try out ranked for the first time. I don't have any expectations, but I will take it seriously. 

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

I used Bayern in the t6 segment of ranked a few seasons ago. Personally I found her quite capable. Ultimately the "worst" ship is your best choice if its the one your comfortable with. I used my Bismark Kapitan, secondary spec'd, but that was before the changes to Kapitan skills. 

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

​T6 ranked...almost anything will be fine for T6 ranked. It's probably the one tier where players will not default to whatever is popular or meta flavor of the month. 

Members
3,256 posts
4,322 battles

If I buy her back I'll use a zombie build with AFT instead of FP and AR for fun. Secondary mod and rudder shift 2 instead of dcm2. Premium consumables and tanking sign flags, -fire/flood, 2ndary range, faster consumables and +hp with repair.

I have a feeling though that ranked will be fog banks and long range HE spam so I'm planning on using fuso.

Members
86 posts
1,675 battles

I'm just starting the German BBs and I'm on the Bayern now. Let's just say that I'm surprised at the accuracy of the guns. I seem to get decent groupings. I think she'll work in ranked although I can't comment on captain skills

• Cool 1

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

With BFT and AFT I found her AA surprisingly good for her tier. While the NM can protect herself the Bayern had better long range AA which allows her to protect anyone nearby, heck if captain skills were no object I would invest in manual AA while still running the secondary module

[NET]
Beta Testers
633 posts
8,609 battles

i personally wouldnt touch bayern for ranked. lousy dispersion, only 8x15 guns, no scout, subpar torp protection. ya, no thanks. i think Dunks and Arizonas will be the go-to bbs for this season.

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

With BFT and AFT I found her AA surprisingly good for her tier. While the NM can protect herself the Bayern had better long range AA which allows her to protect anyone nearby, heck if captain skills were no object I would invest in manual AA while still running the secondary module

Based on the AA thread from today, the Bayern has the best BB AA by a pretty decent margin.  In fact, the only other fighting ship at tier 6 that exceeds her is the Cleveland.  If the meta turns CV heavy or you run in a CV Div, then this will be a very strong choice.  

i personally wouldnt touch bayern for ranked. lousy dispersion, only 8x15 guns, no scout, subpar torp protection. ya, no thanks. i think Dunks and Arizonas will be the go-to bbs for this season.

The Arizona and Dunk are fine ships, and the Arizona is generally considered stronger in a pure BB on BB match.  But, if we see a ton of DD's and CV's, then the Bayern may prove to have more utility.  Adding the steering gears mod on the Bayern makes it a decent torpedo dodger...with only the Warspite exceeding her.  And, although not having the fighter/scout plane is a hindrance, I don't plan on soloing out beyond my fleet if I can help it.  So...I guess it comes down to pure player preference, or in my case, it's my only line so far...so it is what it is.  I'm also optimistic after talking to some streamers and learning that they perceive it as a strong choice...if the meta develops as they predict.  Tier six is a fairly balanced menu, so perhaps player skill will be more important than ship choice as relative to the last ranked season.  We'll see.                  

Members
74 posts
10,573 battles

I strongly recommend manual AA captain skill for Bayern. 4 captain points gives you total immunity to CVs.

I will probably play Bayern in ranked a bit, depends on the maps and meta. Bayern is a very difficult ship to kill and deals lots of damage when brawling.

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles
10 hours ago, SweetRollThief said:

I strongly recommend manual AA captain skill for Bayern. 4 captain points gives you total immunity to CVs.

I will probably play Bayern in ranked a bit, depends on the maps and meta. Bayern is a very difficult ship to kill and deals lots of damage when brawling.

Yeah...I think I'll start out with it.  Something like this:

PT, EM, AR, BOS, BFT, AFT, MAA.

If I don't think CV's will be as big as issue as I suspect, then I'll add FP and take off MAA.  I'm kinda banking on the idea that the Leander will be the new Belfast and fires might be somewhat diminished.  I could be very wrong on this.  Also, I suppose I should have already asked, but what does everyone run for their mods?  I typically run MB1, AS1, DC1, SG2.   

[WOLFB]
Members
440 posts
9,792 battles

I'm making a new captain on my bayern but so far i have been thinking of the following:

PM, AR, BoS, FP, AFT, MAA and the last skill point i would probably dump on EL

Will take basics of survivability  and fire prevention to minimize the fact that people love to HE spam Bayerns...which for me is perfect since distracting the HE slingers from shooting at the rest of my team has proven very effective (i only have up to BoS on my captain but i've earned dreadnought so many times it's ridiculous)

I take adrenaline rush instead of expert marksman because even though the default turret traverse isn't the best it's manageable and i'd much rather have the reduced reload from the result of being a tank for my team.

I'll take AFT in combination with manual AA to shut down CVs trying to strike me while i distract the enemy team and let them shoot at me.

Expert loader isn't the best to dump the last skill point at but i've found the insane 35% chance fire chance HE on the Bayern useful in certain situations (namely to light up higher tier bow camping BBs or if i get the chance to light up the enemy CV with the amazing fire chance)

Sign in to follow this