Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
lonesome45

When to Select CE

15 comments in this topic

Members
31 posts
13,864 battles

Which ships get a significant benefit for selection the CE captain skill. Clearly it is a must for DD's. It looks to me like the Leander and ARP Takao would benefit a lot by bringing the detection range near or below the torpedo range. What others ships would CE be a first choice for the level 4 skill, now that stealth firing is no longer possible.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,666 battles

Always, ALWAYS, get CE as a main skill (well, the first one for skill 4). You're a cruiser, and you can't afford to stay detected by BBs too long.

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

You already mentioned Leander, but I would (and do) run it on other RN CLs.  I have it on my Fiji and it seems to help.   I anticipate running CE on the remaining CL line when I eventually get them researched/purchased.

thanks,

b

[AP]
Members
1,373 posts
20,488 battles

all DDs except maybe russians

all Cruisers, again, except maybe russians

BB....depends on your skill build you might or might not want it

[CK5]
Members
1,969 posts
24,710 battles

I have CE on every cruiser captain with 10 points or more and will get it for the rest eventually.  The ability to go dark, disengage and then re-engage BBs at your advantage is invaluable. 

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,770 battles

The only downside from a BB standpoint is that if I do get it, I'm going to get nonstop carrier matches and get gassed by planes.  I don't mind carriers are in a world war two themed ship game, it's just that it feels like investing in something that is a gamble on two levels.

Members
141 posts
13,180 battles

CE always on cruisers (all cruisers)

Don't play DDs much .  Can't comment

Have tried it with Scharnhorst and it's certainly an interesting option.  Brings detection down to mid 13km if I remember right.  Allows you to surprise cruisers 

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Concealment Expert huh?

53pJ1tQ.jpg

Seriously.  But it fits my playstyle.  BB's are nice because you can fire at targets, get your damage in, and if you get too popular you just hold fire for a few and fade back out of detection range.  Same thing with Cruisers.  Fire, fire, fire.  Hey all those BB's Is et on fire are looking at me: 

Now we stop firing, evade and fade back into the nothingness and let them forget about me for awhile lol.  DD's it's a toss up.  Japan is a must IMHO because you can drop detection lower then other DD's.  In the IJN DD you won't beat them in a gunfight, but with the cushion you now have between your detection range and theirs will allow you to kite, stay on the peripheray and keep them lit up for the rest of the team.  Having been on both ends of this spectrum it's SUPER annoying to be lit up in a DD but not be able to see who's doing it lol.

Edited by vonKaiser
  • Cool 1

[-K--]
Members
670 posts
7,863 battles

So what you're saying is I should put it on American BBs instead of Manual AA or instead of Superintendent?

If it works for you, sure. If you hate planes, but don't mind being spotted further out....maybe not. I like concealment builds on USN BB's though. That initial volley from stealth can surprise people.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

BBs do not require CE, imho. There are more valuable Cpt skills to utilize.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,770 battles

I am considering concealment on all commanders and if I end up hating it I can change it later.  Manual AA is okay but looking at it this way - I get more space to maneuver and another heal opportunity if I use my manual AA slot for concealment instead.

Really the ones who are going to suffer will be German BBs but whatever.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
7,770 battles

Alrite reevaluating my plans.  I tried Concealment on US BB captain and I got the Missouri (with the stealth mod) and the difference is incredible

I am definitely going for Concealment Expert for all BB captains except for German.  Based off of feedback I am seeing a lot of CE being seen as worthless on Russian DDs, because their style is apparently to draw fire and always be noticed while tickling people to death, and since German BBs suck for accuracy and have secondary power, I don't see the benefit in giving up Superintendent on those ships.

Any help is appreciated in this matter.

[CVA16]
Members
9,127 posts
27,932 battles

The question then becomes do you take CE or IFHE first for a cruiser that benefits from both. It is a long grind to get that second 4-pt skill. One skill allows you to deal more damage, one skill helps you avoid damage and live longer (possibly dealing more damage over your longer life).

[-N-]
Members
2,288 posts
15,955 battles

I run CE on the NC Detection is at 11.8 with the Concealment Module on top.  Making it sneaky as all hell.  I run the same basic setup on the Mo and the Concealment on her is 12.7 I think for a ship that big that is huge being able to sneak up on the enemy.  It is also a necessity in my mind for ships like Atago to get her detection below her torp range.

Edited by gcangel82

Sign in to follow this