Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cruxdei

kitakami not a clan reward,musashi being made and not as reward.

31 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

the same  pseudo PSA i made today got updated,harkonnen from daily bounce got in contact with Ev1n and Ev1n said.

Is true that Kitakami may appear as a contest prize for high-skill players at some point in the future, it’s not true that this ship is currently slotted as a reward for a “tournament or clan war event”.

As for Musashi, it is true that we are building one in our secret development drydock, but the ship is also not planned as a reward at this time. There are many ideas on how to use it, but none is fixed at this time.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

They said they haven't decided what to do with musashi and kitikami shouldn't be in the game.

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Considering how everyone talks about it; I kinda wish I'd been around back in the day when Kitakami was available...

[VVV]
Beta Testers
129 posts
3,446 battles

Considering how everyone talks about it; I kinda wish I'd been around back in the day when Kitakami was available...

Yea it was great.... nothing like taking massive waves of torps from your own team mates while you tried to cap.

Edit: 1st hand experience by the way, twice.

Edited by 1FingerSalute

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Yea it was great.... nothing like taking massive waves of torps from your own team mates while you tried to cap.

Edit: 1st hand experience by the way, twice.

I just want it for the derpski-like torpedo blob; I've already got the whole 'get close without being seen' thing down; I'm just tired of shooting torps at targets less than 5k, and sometimes less than 3k away, and watching them evade. Nothing like a massive torpedo blob to ruin the day of some smarmy git who thinks they're all that because of good rudder shift.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,750 battles

$5 says they'll be either CWs or Ranked battle rewards. WG will get a Sh!t storm of epic perprotions if they sell a tier 10 Premium. This includes the set up like they did for the Missouri!:read_fish:

[5IN]
Members
2,109 posts
10,709 battles

Ive only been playing WoWs for a shade over 1 year but have watched old videos of the Kitakami and, IMHO, it would be very bad for the game.

People complain about torp walls as it is (Shima, etc) and this would only be worse. I hope this is fake news...

B

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

If you want to understand what it was like, just getting into a ship that is very large, park sideways on to both teams, and let an enemy and friendly 3 man Shimekaze dive fire their torpdoes at you. That's pretty much how it felt when 1 Kitkat was on either team.

Personally, I hope that ship never sees the light of day again. It was worse than the old days of the Midway. At least you could death ball against that.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,422 battles

Take a Kuma into the training room against a Yamato.  

It was visible at 10km and it's torp range was 10km, so easy to avoid and child's play to kill.

It played so badly they gave it a smoke module to help it survive a little bit longer. 

10 x 4 torps was a nice party trick though

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

Take a Kuma into the training room against a Yamato.  

It was visible at 10km and it's torp range was 10km, so easy to avoid and child's play to kill.

It played so badly they gave it a smoke module to help it survive a little bit longer. 

10 x 4 torps was a nice party trick though

Kitakami could stealth torp for a while. Granted, it was really hard to do in open water cause the window was small and the turn radius was large, so ships usually converged into LoS, but it could stealth drop at first. Then they took it away. Then they gave it smoke.
Edited by Captain_Dorja

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

This is great news; insofar as neither of them are restricted to Clan Wars.

Now as to managing their release; simply put Kitakami behind an extremely lengthy Campaign requiring exclusive use of IJN DDs and IJN cruisers at no tier lower than T7, and a continuous restriction that any single TK resets the stars earned for the current Campaign step.  That would take care of Kitakami training.

Kitakami could stealth torp for a while. Granted, it was really hard to do in open water cause the window was small and the turn radius was large, so ships usually converged into LoS, but it could stealth drop at first. Then they took it away. Then they gave it smoke.

Then they added Speed Boost, then the last time she was released as a temporary Rank 1 reward, she also had her citadel removed.

As far as Musashi goes, just make her a T10 1 Million FXP Premium, with the requirement that a player also own a Yamato beforehand.  That's what, 3 Million XP altogether (nearly 2M for the Yamato, and 1M more for Musashi), and ensures only those who've already played Yamato be willing to take the jump for Musashi.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Just sell them for 1mil free XP.

Actually I'd be quite torn on which to purchase myself.  I'd probably go with Kitakami as the closest is the Okhotnik at tier5 and I really dig it.

Want to make it even harder to own one?  Have as a requirement either a regular line T8 IJN DD (Kitkat) or T10 IJN BB (Musashi).

But don't lock them behind impossible walls for most loyal and dedicated customers.  Those of us with heavy RL commitment may want one or both of these ships as well.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Best use of Musashi, or at least how I would implement her without breaking the "No tier 10 premiums" unwritten rule...

I'd release her as a B hull on Yamato that changes the nameplate.

Yamato's current hull becomes the stock A hull and should get the rest of her anti-air battery.

The special Musashi hull could even be released as a premium hull purchased with doubloons rather than researched with experience, since it has a special feature (the changed name plate), and would be attractive for Yamato captains who prefer secondary builds.

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

Best use of Musashi, or at least how I would implement her without breaking the "No tier 10 premiums" unwritten rule...

I'd release her as a B hull on Yamato that changes the nameplate.

Yamato's current hull becomes the stock A hull and should get the rest of her anti-air battery.

The special Musashi hull could even be released as a premium hull purchased with doubloons rather than researched with experience, since it has a special feature (the changed name plate), and would be attractive for Yamato captains who prefer secondary builds.

I know I'd get it.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

I know I'd get it.

And this way it requires the player to have a tier 10 ship to get it-- because it's an add-on module for Yamato, they need Yamato to even purchase it, let alone use it.

[EATER]
Beta Testers
1,946 posts
9,384 battles

A kitakami sitting in smoke in the middle of a cap was an unapproachable torpedo turret that kept everyone else, friendly or not, a long distance away.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

would be attractive for Yamato captains who prefer secondary builds.

Musashi is a straight-up nerf from the current Yamato in every way.  The only way she would be okay at T10 is if she had her as-sunk configuration.  Undo the removal of the wing 155 turrets if you must, but she would be left with 112 25mm barrels - just 4 more than Izumo a tier below her (who has abnormally-poor AA even for an IJN BB) and 8 more than Amagi 2 tiers lower.  She also has half the number of Type 89 mounts compared to Yamato, which is long-range DPS lost.

Speaking of which, the 127s might be slow, but they're the superior secondary weapon in every way.  The 155s have two major flaws: awful rate of fire and usage of AP shells instead of HE.  Against anything that's not a cruiser, they're useless, since they can't lolpen DDs and the gunners always target the waterline around the engines - a secondary build would actually make them less effective since there's less chance of the shell straying on account of dispersion and actually penetrating something for damage worth a [edited].

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea.  But milking people for an inferior Yamato, especially when it's an "upgrade" to the tech tree ship, is travesty that WG should never attempt.  No, Musashi is better off not being in this game, except perhaps in name.  Perhaps people who buy Yamato's permanent camo should now just have a choice of two: one that changes the name to Musashi and with a unique skin of the existing Yamato while providing the same stat bonuses as her existing one.  I recall Musashi was painted black and had her deck darkened by soot as well, so there's an idea for what it would look like already while being historically-true.

Edited by TenguBlade

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

A kitakami sitting in smoke in the middle of a cap was an unapproachable torpedo turret that kept everyone else, friendly or not, a long distance away.

radar and hydro are a lot more prevalent now, however.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

radar and hydro are a lot more prevalent now, however.

radar would suck against Kitkat, but hydro wouldn't even matter. That thing drops such a dense blanket of torpedoes that seeing them coming is not helpful. Hydro on a Kitkat torp drop would just be like spraying fog into a room filled with lasers in an action movie (or a weird Japanese game show). Seeing the lasers isn't going to make the net less dense or prevent you from being unable to thread through them.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Musashi is a straight-up nerf from the current Yamato in every way.  The only way she would be okay at T10 is if she had her as-sunk configuration.  Undo the removal of the wing 155 turrets if you must, but she would be left with 112 25mm barrels - just 4 more than Izumo a tier below her (who has abnormally-poor AA even for an IJN BB) and 8 more than Amagi 2 tiers lower.  She also has half the number of Type 89 mounts compared to Yamato, which is long-range DPS lost.

Speaking of which, the 127s might be slow, but they're the superior secondary weapon in every way.  The 155s have two major flaws: awful rate of fire and usage of AP shells instead of HE.  Against anything that's not a cruiser, they're useless, since they can't lolpen DDs and the gunners always target the waterline around the engines - a secondary build would actually make them less effective since there's less chance of the shell straying on account of dispersion and actually penetrating something for damage worth a [edited].

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea.  But milking people for an inferior Yamato, especially when it's an "upgrade" to the tech tree ship, is travesty that WG should never attempt.  No, Musashi is better off not being in this game, except perhaps in name.  Perhaps people who buy Yamato's permanent camo should now just have a choice of two: one that changes the name to Musashi and with a unique skin of the existing Yamato while providing the same stat bonuses as her existing one.  I recall Musashi was painted black and had her deck darkened by soot as well, so there's an idea for what it would look like already while being historically-true.

A: I never called it an upgrade. I'm merely using the existing hull research system to gate what is effectively a tier 10 premium so that only a player with a tier 10 ship could obtain it. The inferior anti-air suite alone makes Musashi a downgrade from Yamato.

B: Don't underestimate the 15.5cm triples. They're more powerful than you give them credit for. While the 12.7cm twins are good at setting fires, most of the direct secondary damage I get in my Yamato is pens and overpens from the 15.5s, unless they're pounding on destroyers. Those things can even land citadel hits on cruisers, and standard pen damage in battleship superstructures are hardly worth discarding. I have no objection tot he as-sunk configuration of 12/7s, the main point is the additional two 15.5cm guns. Also mind part of my implementation is fixing Yamato's AA suite so she would definitively have better AA than Musashi even if the as-sunk configuration is used for Musashi.

So yes the fact that the option exists doesn't automatically make it a terrible idea nor would it be unreasonably weak compared to Yamato's current setup.

The simple fact is WG staff already admitted they were modeling Musashi so I only provided an idea for how it could be implemented fairly.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Musashi can work as a secondary-build boat if they gave her longer secondary range to compensate for the loss of AA and secondary mounts, regardless of whether it's her 1943 iteration (wing 155s) or her 1944 iteration (more like Yamato's current setup, but with fewer secondaries/AA).  13~15km range fully spec'd would be reasonable.  Or even some weird hybrid of both where she gets her late war mounts but keeps the 155s.

That's assuming they didn't add anything else like Radar to allow the secondaries to open fire on anything within Radar range, or give her back some of the maneuverability the class lost in CBT; making Musashi similar to Alabama in maneuverability.  Speaking of, WG could do both instead of making her a long-range secondary boat; add Radar and buff maneuverability, at the slight cost of .1 sigma, taking elements from both Missouri (Radar) and Alabama (early CBT-like maneuverability; but 0.1 sigma lower than NC equivalent) and applying to Musashi.

Kitakami would be fine in the current meta; assuming she retained all the buffs she got before being removed:  CBT smoke, Speed Boost, and no citadel, and just gave her 15km, 12km, and 8km (or 10km) torpedo options.  That would give her the options for:

• 15km + Torpedo Acceleration for a fast but easily spotted swarm of torpedoes for area denial (and racking up debt when doing zero damage or torping allies)
  • 12km allowing for either 1km stealth firing or with TA for fast torpedoes (more or less played like a torpedo Atago)
  • 8km for pure high-speed but suicidal torpedo walls (hiding in smoke and using speed boost on an incoming ship to drop the hammer).  If that doesn't work, then the standard IJN cruiser 10km torps would replace the 8km for roughly similar suicidal runs (but with an extra grace of 2km).

Reason being, we already have Shiratsuyu able to spam 16 torps at T7 from stealth, and Shimakaze able to spam 15 at T10 from stealth or suicidal ranges, and Okhotnik able to spam 12 at T5 (at suicidally short ranges), and similar gameplay applies to Kitakami.  Sure, she has 20 torps to a broadside, but most of the time she's only going to be able to get one side off before she's sunk, unless she's playing the range game with 15km torps.

Sign in to follow this