You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Remaining Lines

13 comments in this topic

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles

Well, the Brit BBs are starting to edge their way over the horizon and I expect we'll be seeing them around mid September-early October. That leaves us with one fewer line that can conceivably be put in the game. The question is how many wargaming will be able to bring us before descending into the ridiculous. That basically puts a hard cap on how much power creep the game may experience, which is always a good thing. Since warship building is a lot more expensive then tank or aircraft production, you rarely see prototype ships, so virtually every tree has a limited number of ships that can be put in it.

From my prespective, here's the remaining lines that we will probably see (in order of the importance of their navy):

USA: Heavy/Light Cruiser split, second Battleship line.

Britain: Destroyer line, Battlecruiser line, Aircraft Carrier line

Japan: Hybrid Carrier line (ex: Tone, Ise; this of course is dependent on them ironing out bugs in shifting perspective between CV play and surface ship play)

Italy: Destroyer line, Cruiser line, Battleship line

France: Destroyer line, Battleship line

Russia: Battleship line (My Opinion: Retarded/Wargaming's Opinion: balans comrades, hic)

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles

In addition to what you mentioned:

USA: Second destroyer line, battlecruiser line.

UK: Second destroyer line, heavy cruiser line, maybe second battleship line

France: Apparently they have enough for a carrier line.

Japan: Maybe a light cruiser line.  Maybe a battlecruiser line.

Germany: Battlecruiser line.

Edited by Helstrem

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

What is your exact reasoning for the BBs taking that long to come out?

Edited by renegadestatuz

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles

What is your exact reasoning for the BBs taking that long to come out?

Those are worst case scenarios. And considering that people are bringing up radar as a consumable option, I'm thinking it'll take a while.

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles

I'm really wondering where you are pulling these ideas. Currently, the US DD designs are well-represented and the only US battlecruiser ideas (original Lexington and Alaska) are more likely to be premiums. I could see two lines of Brit DDs, but let's wait until the first line comes out to start proposing a second. A second BB line has potential, but I think several premiums are more likely. A Brit heavy cruiser line is unlikely given that they only ever produced one class after the Naval Treaties (County-class). France did not have enough CVs for a line unless they pull a lot of paper ships out of their [edited]. Japan's light cruisers were not particularly numerous or powerful designs so I find that a little unlikely. And as for the German battlecruiser line, the O-class (the Plan Z design) were basically the in-game Gneisenau. If you want to take a Yamato on with that, be my guest, I'd rather not. Most of your suggestions deal with large numbers of paper ships which I categorize as "descending into ridiculous."

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,336 posts
9,613 battles

I'm really wondering where you are pulling these ideas. Currently, the US DD designs are well-represented and the only US battlecruiser ideas (original Lexington and Alaska) are more likely to be premiums. I could see two lines of Brit DDs, but let's wait until the first line comes out to start proposing a second. A second BB line has potential, but I think several premiums are more likely. A Brit heavy cruiser line is unlikely given that they only ever produced one class after the Naval Treaties (County-class). France did not have enough CVs for a line unless they pull a lot of paper ships out of their [edited]. Japan's light cruisers were not particularly numerous or powerful designs so I find that a little unlikely. And as for the German battlecruiser line, the O-class (the Plan Z design) were basically the in-game Gneisenau. If you want to take a Yamato on with that, be my guest, I'd rather not. Most of your suggestions deal with large numbers of paper ships which I categorize as "descending into ridiculous."

I am getting it from statements made by Wargamming staff.

Some of these lines would involve a lot of paper.

Members
7,086 posts

I have my doubts we will ever see a full-fledged American battlecruiser line. Off the top of my head, I can think of the Lexington (tier 7), the Alaska (I don't know - tier 6?), and potentially some preliminary design considered prior to NC (so tier 8). But I don't think that's enough to flesh out a tree.
Edited by Battlecruiser_Tiger

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

Those are worst case scenarios. And considering that people are bringing up radar as a consumable option, I'm thinking it'll take a while.

It would not take 4 months to test that and balance. If you seriously think it would take that long, then you obviously have no clue how it works. RN CLs didn't even take anywhere near that long and they went through multiple rounds of testing and rebalancing.

Members
7,086 posts

It would not take 4 months to test that and balance. If you seriously think it would take that long, then you obviously have no clue how it works. RN CLs didn't even take anywhere near that long and they went through multiple rounds of testing and rebalancing.

No, you're right. I expect we'll see the RN BB line in a month - two tops. They generally start dropping hints about new trees and then follow up relatively swiftly (in game development time).

[NGA-A]
Members
2,654 posts
17,751 battles

To be fair, we haven't even seen the branch overview on the News page and it generally takes a month-and-a-half or so to bring it to the game from that point. And as I always say, "expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed".

[LHG]
Members
2,225 posts
6,440 battles

I'm thinking we'll eventually see a Light Tank Line or maybe a bunch of Light Tank lines ...

Oh ... well they float (some of them) and they have guns and stuff so ... why not?

We could always mount a Yamato turret on a speed boat.  Wouldn't that be cool?

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

There may also be an extension/shuffling of IJN DDs to extend the sub-branch to T10.  There is at least the Project V6 mass-production Shimakaze design and Project V7 super Akizuki left, if not more.  USN DDs will also likely see another line of either more DDs or DLs.  Some ideas for that in this thread.  In addition to the DD lines you mentioned, we'll probably get a second one for England.

USN CLs have been hinted at repeatedly; it's only a matter of time.  IJN CLs are a little bit more iffy, but probably still likely to happen.  On the other end of the spectrum, it's possible we'll see a UK CA sub-branch from T5 to T8/T9, starting with Hawkins and ending with a WWII design study.  No other nation really fielded enough distinctive cruiser designs for more than one branch and some premiums.

As far as battleships go, the USN will definitely get a second BB line, maybe a third fast BB/battlecruiser sub-branch on top of that.  The Royal Navy and Imperial Germany Navy will be fielding at least partial (i.e. up to T7) battlecruiser lines, and the Japanese have enough to make one too, though it would probably have to merge at T5 due to Kongo being somewhere in the middle between the two and would probably end at T8 with Amagi as the IJN pretty much pursued fast battleship designs after her.  We also need an Italian, French, and Soviet BB line, and there are a sizable number of unique ships that could become premiums.

IJN carriers have enough designs for a second sub-branch from T4 to T7, maybe T8, with Shinano being premium somewhere.  USN CVs don't have that, but we're still looking for Wasp and possibly one of the SCB-27A ships becoming a premium (or, if WG really wants to, SCB-125).  UK CVs will at most ever have a split line that ends at T8 since none of their designs, even the post-war Audacious class, only rivaled the hangar size of the Essexs.

Edited by TenguBlade