Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

AA Gneisenau - 56 plane kills

5 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,141 posts
30,906 battles

Been experimenting here and there with an AA Gneisenau to try something different with a German BB.  Anyways, had a match just now where I shot down 56 planes with her in a x2 CV per team match, Tier VII & VI CVs per.  I was in the NE spawn for the team and I sailed with a New York, and 2 DDs.  I told the CVs that if they needed, I had good, 7.5km AA to use as a "safe zone" for their planes.  I made it a point to be near our NY because I knew he'd be a big target.  Our 2 nearby DDs also saw my comment and they stayed fairly near me once they took the nearby cap.  They only surged ahead when we rounded the big island and began closing with the red ships, including their Ranger, Budyonny, Colorado.  The DDs got Ranger but it cost one of their number due to the other nearby ships.  The Ranger I believe was so close because he wanted to cut down aircraft servicing times.  He was also around islands near their cap.

I was never more than 8km from any of these other ships, we stayed together like a big division and I gave them the safety of my AA despite many attempts.  The CVs still got 2 torp hits, 2 bomb hits on me, but they never came at the same time, I never ate any of those devastating 4-5 torpedo hits with extra bombs landing on me after I stop the floods.  They never could get any big strikes on me and they paid dearly in aircraft losses.  When the match ended, only 1 of the DDs were lost in the knife fight.  New York survived with about 80% HP left, he wasn't one of those BBs sitting far back either, we sailed together with me ahead of him when surface contact was got close.

I wondered why the CVs kept on sending planes my way despite the horrific losses I inflicted but thinking back on it, our east group was the smallest group because everyone else from the team was out west in a big group.  The AA would have been really bad there due to so many ships in one area.  Both our CVs were also very close to them, so close that our Kaga IIRC was detected and was lost due to shell fire, but that was way late in the match after it was already decided that we were going to win.  So lots of mutual AA out west and both of our CVs that way with their planes would have been a worse idea to attack I think, for the enemy CVs.

Also, orangeandblue from the forum was there as part of the team.

Reward Screens - No Clear Sky award!

dBX2Wix.jpg

E4zxpds.jpg

yiSh7Hb.jpg

PaGGhjl.jpg

My build is here.  Been thinking about changing out Preventive Maintenance in favor of Priority Target.

LwuNy6f.jpg

Pro's & Con's to the AA Gneisenau, in case you're curious

+ At Tier VII, easily the most powerful AA in tier outside of Premium CL Atlanta.

+ Dangerous, long range AA ring, the best part of it reaching out to 7.5km with high DPS, though the other shorter range AA guns aren't as high.  For reference, Atlanta focuses on long range AA also and her max range is out to 7.2km, but Atlanta has unlimited Defensive Fire charges to panic bombers.

- You're not speccing into having good Secondaries capability (Secondaries Battery Mod 1, associated Secondaries triats) nor tighter Main Battery performance with Aiming Systems Mod 1.  These are major red flags to Gneisenau owners as it degrades damage dealing capability.

- CVs aren't as common a sight past Tier V.  There are less the higher in tiers you go.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Reward Screens - No Clear Sky award!

Ever since WG included float fighters and spotters in the kill count for Clear Sky; the requirement for getting it has been completely screwy. If there a lot of ships in a match with cat-aircraft ANDcarriers, might as well for get about getting one...

...would kind of like to see someone manage to get a Clear Sky just shooting down cat planes; now that would certainly be worthy of a Clear Sky! (Atlanta could maybe do that?)

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

Sometimes they are determined, I had a Hiryuu they kept on me in my AA spec NC and I ended up shooting down 32 planes for I think 1 torpedo hit.

Had another game recently where a CV tried my AA spec Colorado, I wiped out his DB squad and a whole TB squad then he turned his other TB squad away lol and never saw him the rest of the match lol

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

AA speccing is fun but only when you actually face a CV which is maybe 15-20% of the time. I have the screenshots somewhere, but one time I shot down some 30 something planes in a AA spec'd Konig. I had my Tirpitz Captain on it with AFT/BFT/Manual AA and had the AA modules. You can get a 6.3km ring of AA protection with the 105s, which in a tier 5 game is pretty good. The Konig can have some sneaky good AA. think I really surprised and pissed off their Bogue and Hosho.

Edited by JojoTheMongol

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles

Slap manual AA on it and it becomes even more troll. I had a CV throw 5 squadrons at me. FIVE! :teethhappy:​ not a single one those planes got close enough to actually do anything. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,141 posts
30,906 battles

Slap manual AA on it and it becomes even more troll. I had a CV throw 5 squadrons at me. FIVE! :teethhappy:​ not a single one those planes got close enough to actually do anything. 

It's something I considered but points were starting to get sparse, I'd have to give up Fire Prevention.  I may make that plunge later on.  What made me try the AA Gneisenau was running into 2 of them in a span of a week.  I remember it specifically because I was playing Saipan.  The Gneisenaus were acting as centerpieces for their group.  Basically they were playing it like a USN AA Cruiser like Atlanta, minus Defensive Fire.  I couldn't get anywhere near ships I needed to attack with that thing near them.  My Tier IX planes simply disappeared.  I'd send the DBs, ALL DEAD.  I try 2/2/0 Saipan, I'd be lucky if a single wild torpedo was dropped in a rough compass direction of the intended target.  The absolute worst part was the first match with one of them, because the AA Gneisenau was protecting a huge push by their team.  My team needed help in blunting that attack but my planes were 100% irrelevant due to the AA swatting them down before they could do anything.  CVs are often needed to stop something like that but I couldn't.  That push won the game for the reds. 

I was impressed with the AA cover that ship provided and it gave me an excuse to do something different.  I already got Scharnhorst.  I already got Main Battery focused Tirpitz, Secondary Build Bismarck.  Making Gneisenau similar to those would be repetitive, even in the same tier as Scharnhorst.  So, hence the AA route.

Sign in to follow this