You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SlappingSalmon

Could use some advice to improve

11 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
2,954 battles

I can't tell if it's my luck or it's my skill, but often I find myself with half the enemy team greeting me with a shower of HE and AP shells, complemented by torpedoes and dive bombers, with my average lifespan in that scenario being ~30 seconds. One thing I've noticed is that my average damage and XP have gone up, whereas my win rate has gone down. I'm not the type of driver who sails in a straight line either, so torpedoes aren't much of a problem. Most of the time in BBs I angle myself and manage to bounce a few shots, with my main cause of death being burning to death. Sometimes this happens too while I'm with a group of team-mates too. RNG seems to hate me too, with shots that would usually be citadels but instead come out as penetrations, even if I aim right over where the citadel is.

P.S. I'm the type of guy who plays every type of ship.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,189 posts
15,767 battles

To me it looks like you push to hard and are getting focused. A large dose of patience should help a lot.

Members
8 posts
2,954 battles

To me it looks like you push to hard and are getting focused. A large dose of patience should help a lot.

What's odd is that even in games where I'm supposed to be patient, such as in a slow US BB, the whole team somehow still manages to be behind me.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,189 posts
15,767 battles

What's odd is that even in games where I'm supposed to be patient, such as in a slow US BB, the whole team somehow still manages to be behind me.

That shows that you are not being patient. Try to keep a stealthier ship in front of you so you can spot the enemy before the enemy can spot you, getting that first shot off is very important but make it a good one.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,524 posts
28,454 battles

Slow down and stick with your teammates.

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Pope-Shizzle gave me some advice that year that has served me well;

Let a single fire burn; remember that most, if not all, fire damage can be recovered with repair party.

If two fire, judge the situation; if not critical, let them burn; otherwise fight the fires with Repair Party instead of Damage Control; save that for rudder outs, engine outs, or three-four fires, and maybe not even then.

Too that I'll add; watch for good positioning; part of survival in a battleship (or any ship for that matter,) is being able to put yourself behind some island or rock in a tough situation, so you can use RP and DC and not have to worry about being set on fire again.

As others have said; avoid being out front; add to that watching the mini-map like a hawk; the meerest flash of an enemy target can save you from an ambush.

Survival is a matter of experience, which means also learning the lessons of your failures.

Here's the link to Pope's post on the matter;

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/126775-how-to-battleship-a-brief-guide-to-controlled-aggression/

Members
8 posts
2,954 battles

Pope-Shizzle gave me some advice that year that has served me well;

Let a single fire burn; remember that most, if not all, fire damage can be recovered with repair party.

If two fire, judge the situation; if not critical, let them burn; otherwise fight the fires with Repair Party instead of Damage Control; save that for rudder outs, engine outs, or three-four fires, and maybe not even then.

Too that I'll add; watch for good positioning; part of survival in a battleship (or any ship for that matter,) is being able to put yourself behind some island or rock in a tough situation, so you can use RP and DC and not have to worry about being set on fire again.

As others have said; avoid being out front; add to that watching the mini-map like a hawk; the meerest flash of an enemy target can save you from an ambush.

Survival is a matter of experience, which means also learning the lessons of your failures.

Here's the link to Pope's post on the matter;

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/126775-how-to-battleship-a-brief-guide-to-controlled-aggression/

Sometimes instead of burning my damage control party, I just use repair party to slow down the damage.

I only use my damage control party after there is no imminent threat, such as a squadron of dive bombers set me on fire first, then a torpedo bomber manages to score a hit and cause flooding. Only then would I use it.

Often at times, I find myself with 3 fires and my HP disappearing off the face of the earth faster than a BB sailing broadside on.

Adding to that, finding cover often is a struggle, especially with cruisers as it forces me to expose my broadside while attempting to retreat to an island, leading to most likely an instant death.

Edited by SlappingSalmon

Members
1,212 posts
16,540 battles

Adding to that, finding cover often is a struggle, especially with cruisers as it forces me to expose my broadside while attempting to retreat to an island, leading to most likely an instant death.

Get Priority Target on your cruiser captains. Use that magic number to time your turns before it comes to that.

Members
8 posts
2,954 battles
On 6/7/2017 at 4:17 AM, grumpymunky said:

Get Priority Target on your cruiser captains. Use that magic number to time your turns before it comes to that.

Having a little trouble with that, the number of people aiming at me slowly increases as my allies around me die.

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
295 posts
8,606 battles

if u dont have smoke,  u are not front liner, stay on 2nd line.  try to  team up with others

unless u are in BB, then just bow in and absorb minimum dmg while using ur frontal turret mainly.  or try to backing up with ur bow toward main dmg dealer

bb would very likely to survive bow in, as long as u are not getting torped too much

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

Well your survival sucks, even in CVs it sucks and whats weird is your slowly getting better but your WR is going down. Do you have any replays you could post up for us to see exactly what your doing wrong because that would help us allot in trying to get you the proper advice