Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BigBlackRat

Perth Nerf

12 comments in this topic

[BB22]
Members
196 posts
38,674 battles

Aircraft
We noticed an issue where ships with minor detectability would be spotted by aircraft even though the aircraft itself was out if sight. A single plane having a shorter detectability range than an entire squadron, while still having the same spotting range caused this issue. 

We came to a decision that this mechanic was excessive, and now all aircraft, whether carrier squadrons, catapult-lunched fighters or spotting aircraft, will have the same detectability range. In addition to that, we've increased aircraft detectability range from 5 to 8km from the sea and from 4.5 to 7km from the air.

• We increased the standard detectability range for aircraft from 5 to 8km from the sea and from 4.5 to 7km from the air

Your spotter and fighters will be shot down a lot faster leaving you blind in smoke. Airplanes are now bigger than all Japanese destroyers. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

Um, wut? :amazed:

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

So in the scenario where you are:

1. Smoked.

2. The only spotting that can happen is with your plane so you launch it. 

3. An enemy ship is close enough to spot the plane.

4. It has good enough AA to shoot down said plane. 

Than you might be in trouble.

Although you could avoid this by playing smarter. 

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

This should help in cyclones when you cant see the planes until they are dropping on you.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

This should help in cyclones when you cant see the planes until they are dropping on you.

Poor CV's keep getting nerfed. 

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,664 battles

I don't think this "feature" was really necessary. In my mind, a single, small plane would be very hard to spot as opposed to a squadron flying in formation. I accepted the fact that I was detected by air I could not see just as I was detected by a DD I couldn't see. WG overthought this a bit and I would not mind it getting reverted.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

If this means that AA can fire on bombers in a cyclone before the fighters can see the ship, then this is ridiculous.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

I don't think this "feature" was really necessary. In my mind, a single, small plane would be very hard to spot as opposed to a squadron flying in formation. I accepted the fact that I was detected by air I could not see just as I was detected by a DD I couldn't see. WG overthought this a bit and I would not mind it getting reverted.

Yeah, while this was a minor annoyance I think it is something people could live with.  

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

If this means that AA can fire on bombers in a cyclone before the fighters can see the ship, then this is ridiculous.

Just a select few ships can. Mainly cruisers like Minotaur and Moskva.

And to be fair, Minotaur could already fire on planes before being spotted. 

Edited by saagri

Members
1,684 posts
20,010 battles

You don't need this in the Perth because usually you're the last one left on 6 kills and 150k damage. You smoke and launch spotters to wait the time out and try to win. But your plane gets shot by a Cleveland 45km away and you get 3 random citadel from a neckbeard Bayern from 14.2km away. You lose and get reported.

Perth life.

Edited by SalvoSanta
  • Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Let it never be said that WG doesn't listen to DD complaints...they're literally the only ones who benefit from this change.

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
10,275 battles

Let it never be said that WG doesn't listen to DD complaints...they're literally the only ones who benefit from this change.

I have to somewhat disagree with this.  Spotters and fighters continue circling the wreck of their mothership after it is sunk (I dunno, looking for survivors or something).  That means that, if you are in range, you will stay lit if you cannot shoot down that one, lone aricraft, even though there are no non-submerged enemies near you.

This change makes the aircraft visible longer, and supposedly if you issue the order to concentrate fire on them, it will stick even if they disappear for a bit because their circuit took them out of visual range.  It used to be that you would have to reissue the order each time they came back into visual range, which was a bit annoying considering they were keeping you lit even though no one else was around.

Given the generally lower chance of killing said plane with DD AA guns and that DDs can smoke to disappear or can use their speed boost and shorter detection range to get away quicker, one could argue that this aspect, at least, benefits cruisers and battleships more than DDs.

Edited by Sotaudi

[TOG]
Members
4,758 posts
34,564 battles

Even an AA spec Cleveland has an AA range of 6km. At those ranges, hydro would be useful within 4 km You become visible to a Cleveland within  2 km inside a smoke cloud. So a lot depends on whether the Cleveland decided to charge a Perth into the smoke.

Worse case matchup is against a Bismark. Though why you would want to be within 11km of one, I have no clue.

Sign in to follow this