You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
sartt

The Pensacola is a great ship... When its only fighting other Cruisers or DDGs

17 comments in this topic

Members
407 posts
2,453 battles

World of Warships Pensacola'd, i screwed up at the end and let the graf spee killl me  that guy was a terrible shot...  Oh and  -10 respect points for the Nachi that bailed on ,me.

Edited by sartt

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

I don't think Cola would fair to hot against DDGs.  Quad Bofors were good in their day but they wont stop Harpoons and SS-2-22s:hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Wiki Lead, Beta Testers, Privateers
6,801 posts
5,248 battles

I don't think Cola would fair to hot against DDGs.  Quad Bofors were good in their day but they wont stop Harpoons and SS-2-22s:hiding:

That's what I was thinking. Oh and the 5"/62 cals.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,752 posts
4,574 battles

I like the Pensacola. She's kinda fragile, but her guns are punchy and great at starting fires.

Members
407 posts
2,453 battles

:D  was reading about a modern launched ship the U.S navy just made... 

Members
707 posts
4,742 battles

Nice game!

Pensacola is still one of the best ships (stats wise) I have ever played, and this was before the view distance nerf when you could see it from the moon. I was able to successfully kite a Gneisenau at 10km for a good 3-4 minutes once, setting him on fire and burning him down while either dodging or bouncing(!) his shots with good angling. Those 8" guns are a real treat.

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,603 posts
2,495 battles

You do realize DDG stands for guided missile destroyer, right?

Members
407 posts
2,453 battles

You do realize DDG stands for guided missile destroyer, right?

and you do realize i already typed i was thinking about a different class of ship.. RIGHT?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,313 posts
15,806 battles

What is the minimum range for a Harpoon? If the Pensacola gets inside that range the DDG wouldn't survive long against 8" AP and the 5" fire from the DDG would have trouble penetrating the Pepsi.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

I like the Pensacola. She's kinda fragile, but her guns are punchy and great at starting fires.

& I find my Pensacola is great at harassing any enemy. I quite like it.

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

What is the minimum range for a Harpoon? If the Pensacola gets inside that range the DDG wouldn't survive long against 8" AP and the 5" fire from the DDG would have trouble penetrating the Pepsi.

And a knife is more effective than a firearm at a certain range, I just don't see a Pepsi getting the drop on Arleigh Burke or an Udaloy.  Not to mention the Mark 12 5" was enough to mission kill CAs at Samar.

Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
9,421 battles

Those referring to 'DDGs' or chatting about missiles are engaging in wishful thinking.

Either that or they are confusing this game with some other more modern naval game.

Members, Beta Testers
1,591 posts
2,659 battles

Or we are engaging in a bit of good natured jest after the OP had a minor brain fart writing the thread topic.  My apologies if this line of discussion caused you confusion or distress.    

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I love mine dearly, especially after the stealth buff. The American 8" gun is one of my favorite guns I've used in the game so far, the penetration is phenomenal. It leads to some shocking results... I've ripped 10k AP salvos off BBs with mine before, although usually they range from 1-4k on average.

[PNGYN]
Members
493 posts
4,004 battles

I mean, being ab'e to citadel BBs feels pretty good.

Though if you're close enough to do that, ya probably done goofed.

Members
341 posts
1,994 battles

I mean, being ab'e to citadel BBs feels pretty good.

Though if you're close enough to do that, ya probably done goofed.

Only if they have a lot of health left. I'm all for sneaking up on a BB who has his guns pointed away and unloading on their broadside.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Not to mention the Mark 12 5" was enough to mission kill CAs at Samar.

Don't forget that was because of a torpedo detonation though.  Pensacola doesn't have those.

[PNGYN]
Members
493 posts
4,004 battles

Only if they have a lot of health left. I'm all for sneaking up on a BB who has his guns pointed away and unloading on their broadside.

Exactly, it is very situational. 

One time I caught a Fuso tunnel visioned on someone on the other side of the map.

I was at about 1/4 of my health and basically said "Eh, screw it I have nothing to lose". I have Adrenaline Rush, so the reload was nice. Poor guy never knew what hit him. 

If I still have the replay file, I will upload it. I remember it being a decent enough game.