Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eVa_Refuel

Do co-op CV planes cheat speedwise?

9 comments in this topic

[TCF]
[TCF]
Members
299 posts
16,365 battles

Now before you blast me on that dreaded co-op, I do my shares of randoms and hold my own.  I do not enjoy carriers on randoms given I struggle with the strafe mechanic so I enjoy CV play exclusively in coop just for raw enjoyment and not for the competitive aspect.  Today I've blasted quite a few coops in the Kaga and there have been several occurances already where my fighter squads simply cannot catch up to returning enemy Kaga strike craft when returning to the CV in a straight line.  Looking at the specs I see that the fighters have a speed of 162 knots and the strike craft both have speeds of 129.  Whether its attacking, or flying in the same direction or strafing, my fighters just aren't catching up to them.  Thoughts? 

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Now before you blast me on that dreaded co-op, I do my shares of randoms and hold my own.  I do not enjoy carriers on randoms given I struggle with the strafe mechanic so I enjoy CV play exclusively in coop just for raw enjoyment and not for the competitive aspect.

Pretty much the same feelings/experiences on my part; randoms are no fun in a CV unless you are some CV unicum or a God/Goddess of the micro needed to make them work well.

Bot programming makes them do everything more efficently than we meer humans can. Not really 'cheating' perhaps, but certainly annoying.

The biggest biot 'cheat' of all is their use of RPF, and always knowing were all the green team ships are.  A completely unfair advantage; especially when you are a last ship, and it's impossible to hide like you might be able to in a Random game. Bots also use this to fly strike aircraft STRAIGHT to your carrier, even if you have never been spotted...

...but then I guess you have; because the bot's programming means it always knew where you were in the first place.

Many have said 'teamwork will win' in the scenario mode; but I can see the biggest complaint being that the bots always know where you are; making it difficult to fight.

Talk about teamwork all you want; don't much see how that's going to help much when the bots all know where you are; but you don't know where they are.

[TCF]
[TCF]
Members
299 posts
16,365 battles

All strike aircraft have higher speeds when they are not carrying ordinance.

Interesting.   I wonder how evasive maneuvers works with its -30% speed penalty if this is the case?  What would the net decrease in speed really be?

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

Bots cannot RPF undetected carriers.  Human RD can, but the bots will always follow the planes in the (mis-)direction I give them for the return trip.

I'm taking the indy into co-op to test this out.   BRB

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Interesting.   I wonder how evasive maneuvers works with its -30% speed penalty if this is the case?  What would the net decrease in speed really be?

The speed buff is a fixed value ranging from 10 to 15 knots, depending on the plane, according to the patch notes from when it was implemented.  For almost all tiers Evasive Maneuvers results in a net loss compared to their loaded cruising speed.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

OK..  I'm back.  Fighters are faster than strike planes -- coming and going.

You must have had an RNG instance of distance scaling.  This is where the enemy distance is shorter than yours, so everything moves faster .

It's just another fine way that WG chooses who the winner will be.

I once had a bot Svietlana catching up with my destroyer, and I was indicating 35 knots -- the distance was decreasing at a slow rate.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

OK..  I'm back.  Fighters are faster than strike planes -- coming and going.

You must have had an RNG instance of distance scaling.  This is where the enemy distance is shorter than yours, so everything moves faster .

It's just another fine way that WG chooses who the winner will be.

I once had a bot Svietlana catching up with my destroyer, and I was indicating 35 knots -- the distance was decreasing at a slow rate.

Heck, I had a New Mexico not only keep up, but CLOSE the distance on me- in my Emile Bertin- while I was kiting away at full speed.   Let THAT brain bender sink in for a minute.   I've also had bot BB's out reload me while in cruisers;  bots with engine and rudder out STILL magically dodge close range torp salvos, (I blew them out myself!  My teammate fired the torps) etc.

I'm looking forward to scenarios, and the changes they made to bot target selection and tactics.  I might even be able to play my DD's again!   I do wish some of that would make it's way back to regular pve, as it's gotten especially unpleasant to "play" premium DD's in particular.  So much so, that I rarely bother.

That detection thing is by far my worst pet peeve about the bots.  Followed closely by their often monumentally stupid target selection. 

And trust me- the whining, complaining and raging about DD players would quintuple if I played them in pvp too often. 

Beta Testers
648 posts
15,736 battles

Looking at the specs I see that the fighters have a speed of 162 knots and the strike craft both have speeds of 129. 

Those tier 6 IJN bombers have a speed of 161 kts when they are empty. In WOWS most of the bombers in game are designed to have speed close to same tier fighters when empty, that's why people dump the bombs on dive bombers and use them to scout, because they are difficult to catch when empty.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
596 posts
6,464 battles

idk about speeds, but don't bother playing a DD in a co-op match with CVs. Bot omniscience means stealth doesn't exist. It's a bit like playing a version of WoWS that BB mains wish the game was like.

Sign in to follow this