You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MrKilmister

Radar

99 comments in this topic

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

It seems radar in the game is on the verge of crossing over from a fairly unique feature to a more common or standard consumable option. I wonder where the player community generally is on the topic of radar currently and moving forward. 

Do we have enough of radar in the game yet, in general; should there be a freeze on more ships that can use radar?

Is there room for more BBs (e,g, RN BBs **) with radar without creating a need for new, complex rounds of buffs elsewhere to re-balance? 

Would it be better to just get on with it by consistently issuing radar consumables broadly across more ship classes above a certain tier, all at once and begin the process of buffing the rest for re-balance?

Edited by lemekillmister

Beta Testers
1,259 posts
6,287 battles

Well the same argument could be made for smoke...  If radar is intended to counter smoke, then it needs to be as accessible as smoke.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

I think that Radar on Cruisers is absolutely fine. It gives them a unique niche to fill in. So I don't mind if WG gives Radar to other Cruiser lines. But on Battleships I don't really like the idea of having a 9km spotting zone, just as much as I dislike Radar on Destroyers.

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

I think it's decent as is.

Perhaps when other lines come out they too could have radar, but I think it's in a good place right now.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Spit balling ideas here, but what if:

Shooting the superstructure of a ship could deactivate their radar.

Firing from within smoke decreased the duration of the smoke.

Members
86 posts
1,675 battles

I like the radar being able to be disabled by gun fire, on the flip side though people will scream and cry about smoke needing to be that way too so that doesn't work. 

As for the duration thing, that works as long as a ship just uses smoke as defensive weapon. To disengage and that's it. RN cruisers use it offensively because they are squishy so that doesn't work for them. They would have to be reworked if your suggestion happened. 

Edited by Mercury49

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

It might not be that common. Radar on BBs is just a preliminary testing things. To quote a Sub_Octavian response from EU:

It is yet to be seen.

Guys, I think most of you know more or less that standard ship release scheme is ST->Production test. And Production test may have several updates.

This content is not even on ST.

We're not B-rushing this stuff without testing it:izmena:

So yes, Radar may be abandoned for good, and other numerous tweaks may (and most likely will) be implemented.

I think there's no reason to discuss this when the new ships are not even uploaded to main client and sent to production test. Before that..well, we can test absolutely any crazy ideas, and this is fine. We need some room to experiment.

Anyways, thank you for your preparatory opinions. We were not going to gather external feedback at this point, but what done is done, and it's very useful to know your sentiment.

Cheers!

Beta Testers
1,259 posts
6,287 battles

You can't disable any other consumable to damage, why would radar be any different.  Not sure that is a box we want to open because you know the requests won't stop there.

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Well the same argument could be made for smoke...  If radar is intended to counter smoke, then it needs to be as accessible as smoke.

Not that I agree with this premise, but it sure made me chuckle at the thought of a regular or two on the forums is going to flat out blow their top at this statement. lol

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles

It seems radar in the game is on the verge of crossing over from a fairly unique feature to a more common or standard consumable option. I wonder where the player community generally is on the topic of radar currently and moving forward. 

Do we have enough of radar in the game yet, in general; should there be a freeze on more ships that can use radar?

Is there room for more BBs (e,g, RN BBs **) with radar without creating a need for new, complex rounds of buffs elsewhere to re-balance? 

Would it be better to just get on with it by consistently issuing radar consumables broadly across more ship classes above a certain tier, all at once and begin the process of buffing the rest for re-balance?

** Although that could be a generally low quality option, as is the case with RN cruisers - something to consider. 

Personally, I am not fond of handing out Cruiser utility to Battleships.  It was already a big deal IMO for Radar going on Missouri.  But I accepted that because that is a Premium with a bit of cost involved in FreeXPs.  But Radar going out to tech tree BBs is an entirely different thing that I am quite against.

German BBs with Hydro was already something I am not keen about.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ONE38]
Members
3,782 posts
14,818 battles

I feel agreement with the gist of the replies so far. On other hand, maybe I'm being too resistant to change.

[K-P-M]
Members
1,616 posts
18,452 battles

Not that I agree with this premise, but it sure made me chuckle at the thought of a regular or two on the forums is going to flat out blow their top at this statement. lol

Same here:D

[K-P-M]
Members
1,616 posts
18,452 battles

My 2 cents is that Radar should stay as is. Only on Cruisers,and not all nationalities. They do need to fix the seeing-through-Islands thing though.

Members
38 posts
356 battles

Cruisers and Battlecruisers would fit a nice niche with radar. Id like BBs to have more Hydro like the Germans but thats just my opinion. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

They say there are too many BBs being played...

...so they nerf DDs again and again.

I've seen people put under involuntary psychological evaluation for more coherent thoughs/actions than that.

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

Maybe Battleships should get Smoke, Hydro together?

Why not.. Hey, while we're at it, all BB's should shoot Zao's out of their HE ammo starting at Tier 3 as well. Just for "flavor". lol :P

That flavor btw, is salt.

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Well, BBs need to counter DDs obviously so this is easy fix. Adapt and overcome, remember?

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

They say there are too many BBs being played...

...so they nerf DDs again and again.

I've seen people put under involuntary psychological evaluation for more coherent thoughs/actions than that.

Underlined is a true statement.

Bold is "somewhat" true, though a subjective in most cases. Those cases being that the only line that was really nerfed was the IJN line, all others remained unaffected with regards to an "actual" nerf meaning: A change of game play in order to sustain or even improve the performance does not constitute a nerf". The stats do in fact, back this up.

With regards to your last sentence, not only is that sad, but that's fairly laughable. Not if you've actually seen that, that's the sad part. What's laughable is pretending that you know what WarGaming has in store down the road. Why? Because these patches don't roll out like society works IE "instant gratification", despite how much you or anyone else wants their precious shiny toys. Patches and changes get worked into slowly with changes being implemented in stages to see how balance is affected over months.

With that in mind, who knows what new country lines, new ships, possible new splits of lines, new mechanics, new consumables, etc. may be coming in 6 months, 9 months or a year that we indeed are just starting to see changes. This on top of what "WarGaming" has deemed needed changed due to their internal stats that we cannot see through data-mined 3rd party sites. After all, at the end of the day, it is their game right? Ultimate decision is theirs.

So, they said that too many BB's were playing. Yup..

They also said they wanted to curb that right? Yup...

You did believe that right? I can only assume so since you mentioned the first sentence. I can also assume you would believe the second one as it was stated in the same interview directly after the first sentence.

So is it a martyr complex or a conspiracy that in the grand scheme of things, WarGaming is "out to nerf" your favorite class, "every single patch" and only "cater to Battleships"? 

Honest question.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
562 posts
3,511 battles

Underlined is a true statement.

Bold is "somewhat" true, though a subjective in most cases. Those cases being that the only line that was really nerfed was the IJN line, all others remained unaffected with regards to an "actual" nerf meaning: A change of game play in order to sustain or even improve the performance does not constitute a nerf". The stats do in fact, back this up.

With regards to your last sentence, not only is that sad, but that's fairly laughable. Not if you've actually seen that, that's the sad part. What's laughable is pretending that you know what WarGaming has in store down the road. Why? Because these patches don't roll out like society works IE "instant gratification", despite how much you or anyone else wants their precious shiny toys. Patches and changes get worked into slowly with changes being implemented in stages to see how balance is affected over months.

With that in mind, who knows what new country lines, new ships, possible new splits of lines, new mechanics, new consumables, etc. may be coming in 6 months, 9 months or a year that we indeed are just starting to see changes. This on top of what "WarGaming" has deemed needed changed due to their internal stats that we cannot see through data-mined 3rd party sites. After all, at the end of the day, it is their game right? Ultimate decision is theirs.

So, they said that too many BB's were playing. Yup..

They also said they wanted to curb that right? Yup...

You did believe that right? I can only assume so since you mentioned the first sentence. I can also assume you would believe the second one as it was stated in the same interview directly after the first sentence.

So is it a martyr complex or a conspiracy that in the grand scheme of things, WarGaming is "out to nerf" your favorite class, "every single patch" and only "cater to Battleships"? 

Honest question.

I wondered when someone would finally call him out for calling every... single... change in the game a, "Nerf to DDs".

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

You can't disable any other consumable to damage, why would radar be any different.  Not sure that is a box we want to open because you know the requests won't stop there.

Ya, I hear you. I just like games where everything has a counter, even the counters themselves.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,601 posts

I wondered when someone would finally call him out for calling every... single... change in the game a, "Nerf to DDs".

If radar can't highlight torpedoes, and works up to around 10km what is it a counter against except ships with good concealment, predominantly DDs? In video gaming, a nerf is a change to a game that reduces the power of a weapon or skill - so if the radar is going to limit the impact of a DD in a match isn't that a nerf?

I'm not sure how much your statement about HazardDrake's 'every change being about a nerf against DDs' is correct, however I wouldn't say yet another line of ships with Radar is going to make a DDs life any better lol.

I guess we can only hope the other half of the description of a nerf holds true - In video gaming, a nerf is a change to a game that reduces the power of a weapon or skill in order to maintain game balance. :honoring:

Alpha Tester
2,409 posts
8,275 battles

I see no real issue with it on paper. Smoke used to be a DD only thing and yet Cruisers are being given smoke in some lines. Defensive Fire was once a Cruiser only thing but don't USN DDs and Hood now also have it? German BBs/DDs have Hydro that was once a Cruiser only thing. BBs back in the day used to be the only class with a Heal but now all tier 9 and 10 cruisers have it as well as RN CLs. Radar can be found on 3/5 Cruiser lines and yet some DDs and a BB also now have it. 

Much of the fuss about this is from DD players thinking this is just another nerf when there is no BB in the game that can get into position to use Radar without being spotted well before it reaches a range where they can use it to light up a hidden ship.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

I suppose it's better than somebody else, (who shall remain nameless) that if the colour of tracers were changed, would say it's done on purpose, in order to force quicker matches.... :D