You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Commander_LuXun

How would HMS Nelson perform in comparison to other T7 BBs?

96 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

Your opinions please. I think she'd likely be middle of the road, but her stats on Warships Today would be the closest to Colorado. Would she be given 2.0 sigma like the Colorado and Nagato? Would her guns perform similarly to any other T7 BB? Would she become a relatively popular ship? I heard she's quite tanky.

• Cool 1

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Heavy Broadside, acceptable armor, somewhat slow. AA and Accuracy would depend on WG's mood. I think that she would be a good ship at that Tier.

Members
522 posts
15,988 battles

You sure KGV 14" will be the T7

No. The Duke of York made short work of the Scharnhorst in 1943. In addition, the KGV's armor was excellent. She may be underguned, but her armor will hold up against Tier 8 BBs.

I think the Nelson class will do just find against Nagato and Colorado. She'll be able to bow in and still keep 6 guns on both ships whereas the Colorado and Nagato will only be able to keep 4 guns pointed forward.

Members
7,086 posts
  • Great armor. 
  • Worst 16" ordinance in the game.
  • Strong turret arrangement.
  • Bad secondary layout.
  • Terrible AA.
  • Second worst speed in the tier.

People see 16" ordinance and assume all such weapons were created equal. And they would be wrong.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Tiger
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

No. The Duke of York made short work of the Scharnhorst in 1943. In addition, the KGV's armor was excellent. She may be underguned, but her armor will hold up against Tier 8 BBs.

I think the Nelson class will do just find against Nagato and Colorado. She'll be able to bow in and still keep 6 guns on both ships whereas the Colorado and Nagato will only be able to keep 4 guns pointed forward.

So tell me why exactly WG has KGV as tier 7...

Members
83 posts
4,582 battles

It looks like the stat cards for the ships are being data mined from the WG website. So far I have seen KGV at tier 7 with her historical 14" gun loadout, Lion at tier 9 with a 3x3 16" arangment, and Conqueror at Tier X with the 4x2 18" loadout.

It's gonna be hard to focus on work today as I am eagerly waiting to see where the rest of the ships will fall.

[PROJX]
Members
1,120 posts
41,069 battles

93b7ae90-49de-11e7-a5f3-ac162d8bc1e4_zps

I believe there was another post by LWM where one of the posters claimed the Nelson class would be Tier VIII, The Tier IX was a 9-gun 16" configuration and the Tier X was a 4x2 18" gun BB (this BB looks like an upgunned Vanguard w/ 18" gun roots in the K2/L2 designs).  

Having the Nelson at Tier VIII is not particularly uncalled for - the Izumo is a paper design cousin of the Nelson class and is at Tier IX already.  If the gun/performance parameters are properly balanced, having the Nelson at Tier VIII (16" guns) and having the KG V class (14" guns) at TIer VII makes some sense.  What's kinda interesting about this is that the Izumo is a bit of a polarizing ship - some folks like it, a lot hate it & did everything to avoid it (I actually didn't mind it & did OK in it).  If the Nelson plays like it's cousin, folks are going to have an interesting decision to make in the British BB line to unlock "what lies beyond"....

(if you're cynical about this, this also puts the Prince of Wales (sister to the KG V) at Tier VII ripe for the Premium ship sweet spot).

Edited by hangglide42

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I believe there was another post by LWM where one of the posters claimed the Nelson class would be Tier VIII, The Tier IX was a 9-gun 16" configuration and the Tier X was a 4x2 18" gun BB.  

Having the Nelson at Tier VIII is not particularly uncalled for - the Izumo is a paper design cousin of the Nelson class and is at Tier IX already.  If the gun/performance parameters are properly balanced, having the Nelson at Tier VIII (16" guns) and having the KG V class (14" guns) at TIer VII makes some sense.

Yup, KGV is a tier VII, A Lion design is a tier IX, and then the tier X is a modernized K2 from what I understand.

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

021099b9bd360ded2b4d43b89798b8b2_zpsbbd2

That's providing that those Stat cards are accurate. Given that nelson doesn't have a tier listing at all, its quite possible Wargaming hasn't made the final decision on the matter.

I believe there was another post by LWM where one of the posters claimed the Nelson class would be Tier VIII, The Tier IX was a 9-gun 16" configuration and the Tier X was a 4x2 18" gun BB (this BB looks like an upgunned Vanguard w/ 18" gun roots in the K2/L2 designs).  

Having the Nelson at Tier VIII is not particularly uncalled for - the Izumo is a paper design cousin of the Nelson class and is at Tier IX already.  If the gun/performance parameters are properly balanced, having the Nelson at Tier VIII (16" guns) and having the KG V class (14" guns) at TIer VII makes some sense.  (if you're cynical about this, this also puts the Prince of Wales (sister to the KG V) at Tier VII ripe in the Premium ship sweet spot).

It will probably work alright if they give nelson a fantasy engine upgrade and give her final hull the same guns as Lion.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,102 battles

Shinyhorse was blind and running for its life when engaged by DoY. I'm sure in better conditions Shinyhorse would have still noped the hell out of there regardless. Because besides a lucky mission killing shot which is what the previous hit on Scharnhorst had done by taking out its radar there was no way Scharnhorst accepts battle especially as the admiral had dispatched his support. This wasn't the traditional Angl-Teutonic charge at each other battleship engagement. 

Now I must go cleanse myself. 

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Nelson may be a premium. Maybe that's why she has no tier by her. That would leave tier 8 for Vanguard.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,784 posts
5,102 battles

Nelson may be a premium. Maybe that's why she has no tier by her. That would leave tier 8 for Vanguard.

Rodney will most likely be premium as Nelson is first in class, no?

Members
83 posts
4,582 battles

The lack of a tier marking on Nelson leads me to believe that WG still hasn't figured out how to slot the Nelson. She's basically a perfect fit at tier 7, but KGV just doesn't fit into tier 8 well with it's 14" guns. It's simply not an easy problem to solve.

• Cool 2

[4FLUF]
Beta Testers
120 posts
4,482 battles

Is the oil tanker going to be a t7 premium instead?

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Rodney will most likely be premium as Nelson is first in class, no?

No, im saying there will be no nelson class ship in the line. Only a premium.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Is the oil tanker going to be a t7 premium instead?

That's my guess.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

No, im saying there will be no nelson class ship in the line. Only a premium.

3 - Drednought

4 - Orion

5 - Iron Duke

6 - QE or R

7 - KGV

8 - Vanguard

9 - Lion

10 - Conqueror

with Nelson as a premium tier 7

In this way you dont have caliber progession problems and you dont run into balance issues ....because Nelson is not a tier 8.... AT ALL.

Edited by dseehafer

Members
522 posts
15,988 battles

So tell me why exactly WG has KGV as tier 7

Oh, I see the images now. That makes me sad. KGV just seems better at tier 8. In real life, I doubt either the Nagato or the Colorado could handle KGV...

[SPTR]
Members
2,462 posts
3,945 battles

Except WG just announced the RN BBs and has KGV at tier 7.

Sweet, I wanna!

Also, I think the Nelson/Rodney is gonna be a premium.

Edited by SgtSullyC3

[PROJX]
Members
1,120 posts
41,069 battles

dseehafer - good point - w/ the BB lines that were leaked - where does Vanguard fit in?  It would be nice if Vanguard were the Tier VIII (that is, I believe where it should fit since it has approx. similar parameters to the Bismarck, albeit it's a more modern ship by a few years - but w/ older guns).  If Vanguard were the Tier VIII and Nelson/Rodney the Premium, it would avoid the gun-layout polarization response that the Izumo experiences and you'd have a relatively non-controversial path up the British BB tree.  

I kind of wonder whether WG would make Nelson/Rodney a non-tech tree ship because if the Izumo response transfers, this would definitely affect sales.   By a business logic, it makes more sense if you put Nelson/Rodney in the tech tree & make Vanguard a potential Tier VIII premium dangling the Top actual British BB and the TIer IX & X beyond to encourage you to go up the British BB line.  You might say that they already do this w/ the Dunkerque, but the French BBs were kinda unique and favored this gun layout so of the French BBs of a certain tier actually built, they preferred the front-only gun layout.

The other consideration re: Vanguard is that it may not appear in the tech tree at all - the reason for this is the Tier X is essentially a marrying of the Vanguard, with the same general ship appearance & turret arrangements to 18" guns. Hopefully, this is not the case since the Vanguard was the last of the entire line of actually constructed BBs, but in that sense, I can see it being a T8 (as a Premium) at a level that it probably belongs.

Edited by hangglide42