Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

The Definitive Look at the Fletcher - I love this ship!

37 comments in this topic

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

Actually nothing definitive about my thoughts.  I just reminded my self of the old Calvin and Hobbes treasury books that used words like definitive and authoritative.  This is a continuation of my DD grind and my review or reflection/personal thoughts of Fletcher after grinding through her.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Bottom line, one of the most fun ships in the game.

• Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I've taken up the IJN line again and having a blast. Blew through the Fubuki this weekend with an 86%WR. And on to the Akasuki. I really want the Shinonome now so I can have my Fubuki back.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

I've taken up the IJN line again and having a blast. Blew through the Fubuki this weekend with an 86%WR. And on to the Akasuki. I really want the Shinonome now so I can have my Fubuki back.

I am thankful I started this "Quest" after the changes to stealth fire, etc.  I am finding DDs are fine...  maybe not as potent as prior, but still loads of fun.

[NO2BB]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Man, the Fletcher is so good and strong. Too bad I got spoiled hard by Russian and Japanese guns and don't play the ship much.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

Man, the Fletcher is so good and strong. Too bad I got spoiled hard by Russian and Japanese guns and don't play the ship much.

The Russian guns are good...  I'm enjoying them.  The IJN guns surprise me.  Even in a Russian DD they give me issues.  I remember in CBT when IJN guns were a joke.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

The Russian guns are good...  I'm enjoying them.  The IJN guns surprise me.  Even in a Russian DD they give me issues.  I remember in CBT when IJN guns were a joke.

didn't they used to have 10RPM back in early CBT?

They also had 2100dmg HE until last year.

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,830 posts

First time i played through the Fletcher.. was a looong time ago.  Potato'd through it imo.

Got it again for a T9 DD to play while others are grinding T9's... putting up some really good games in it now.  It (and the Z-46) are amazing DD's at T9.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

didn't they used to have 10RPM back in early CBT?

They also had 2100dmg HE until last year.

You know, they might have.  And that was so long ago I am likely mistaken in what I recall about them.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

First time i played through the Fletcher.. was a looong time ago.  Potato'd through it imo.

Got it again for a T9 DD to play while others are grinding T9's... putting up some really good games in it now.  It (and the Z-46) are amazing DD's at T9.

I really think the Fletcher is more like a T9.5.  

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

High tier games can blow and get lost; but Fletcher has always been good for me...

...unlike Des Moines and the glowing "SHOOT ME PLEASE!" sign that seems to be floating over it.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

High tier games can blow and get lost; but Fletcher has always been good for me...

...unlike Des Moines and the glowing "SHOOT ME PLEASE!" sign that seems to be floating over it.

I like the Fletcher.  Its fun to play, and you never really feel outgunned when facing other DDs.  Yes, there are other DDs, I would rather not come across, but I do feel I can deal out my own damage such that they probably won't pursue me for the kill.

The Des Moines must be flying the same "shoot me" sign as the Baltimore.  :hmm:  I've seen games where there were 6 friendly ships in front of my Baltimore and 4 or 5 enemy ships were targeting me instead.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

yeah...  Des Moines has a dinner bell ringing on it for some reason.  Doesn't help 80% of Des Moines CPTs do things to make the other20% look bad :p

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

Once you get Udaloi and Khabarovsk, you'll never touch the Fletcher again unless you are using it as a pure torpedo boat.

Gun wise it is outclassed by both German and Russian DDs. The slight edge in RoF and traverse do not make up for the arcs they have. It can put the hurt on them, but the odds are against you.

/USN DD driver from beta until 6.3.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

Once you get Udaloi and Khabarovsk, you'll never touch the Fletcher again unless you are using it as a pure torpedo boat.

Gun wise it is outclassed by both German and Russian DDs. The slight edge in RoF and traverse do not make up for the arcs they have. It can put the hurt on them, but the odds are against you.

I believe it.  Loving the guns on both the Kiev and Tashkent.  The arc and lack of torps is why I hated Benson,

[GGWP]
Beta Testers
2,414 posts
38,082 battles

Of course you would like the Udaloi and the Khab better.if you want a gun boat.  But as Zoup pointed out, the Fletcher should be used as a torpedo boat and if you do so it's very very good and lots of fun.  Imo you cannot compare those RUs with it because they are really very light cruisers with no citadels, so they excel as gun boats.  The Fletcher has good guns to defend itself and finish off hurt enemies, but you have to have the mindset to stay hidden and torp with it most of the time or you are wasting it's capabilities.  Plus it's smoke makes it an excellent support ship and it's very good concealment makes it a good "capper"....neither of which the RUs can do anywhere near as well.  So sure, go the RU route if you want to pew pew, but if you want to torp go with the Fletcher.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

Of course you would like the Udaloi and the Khab better.if you want a gun boat.  But as Zoup pointed out, the Fletcher should be used as a torpedo boat and if you do so it's very very good and lots of fun.  Imo you cannot compare those RUs with it because they are really very light cruisers with no citadels, so they excel as gun boats.  The Fletcher has good guns to defend itself and finish off hurt enemies, but you have to have the mindset to stay hidden and torp with it most of the time or you are wasting it's capabilities.  Plus it's smoke makes it an excellent support ship and it's very good concealment makes it a good "capper"....neither of which the RUs can do anywhere near as well.  So sure, go the RU route if you want to pew pew, but if you want to torp go with the Fletcher.

I agree completely.  I use the guns only as last defense or under cover of smoke.  I try to stay concealed as much as possible.  I mean 5.8km concealment...  that rocks!  RU DDs are totally different.  Speed and range.  Torps are last resort usually.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

Except pre-6.3 the guns on the Fletcher were more than a fashion accessory. It wasn't "just" a torpedo boat. It was a ship that rewarded smart use of both guns and torpedoes. Now one is best off not using the guns. I see USN DDs spotting an IJN DD and running away because the bloom changes make the engagement not worth it.

Yes you can compare them with the RU DDs. The "They're small cruisers" bull**** is just a cop-out for the fact they are overpowered. If the WG balance teams office didn't have the Russian national anthem playing at 80 dB the Udaloi and Khabarovsk would be balanced and comparable to their tier counterparts.

RU DDs can't cap? What world do you live in? They are fantastic at capping, just not in the "black clad ninja" way, so that happens often enough. You beat the snot out of their support, then chase the DD down with RPF and take their lunch money. Most of my VMF DD games have capping ribbons. With the 6.3 changes, DDs won't shoot to reset you.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

Except pre-6.3 the guns on the Fletcher were more than a fashion accessory. It wasn't "just" a torpedo boat. It was a ship that rewarded smart use of both guns and torpedoes. Now one is best off not using the guns. I see USN DDs spotting an IJN DD and running away because the bloom changes make the engagement not worth it.

Yes you can compare them with the RU DDs. The "They're small cruisers" bull**** is just a cop-out for the fact they are overpowered. If the WG balance teams office didn't have the Russian national anthem playing at 80 dB the Udaloi and Khabarovsk would be balanced and comparable to their tier counterparts.

RU DDs can't cap? What world do you live in? They are fantastic at capping, just not in the "black clad ninja" way, so that happens often enough. You beat the snot out of their support, then chase the DD down with RPF and take their lunch money. Most of my VMF DD games have capping ribbons. With the 6.3 changes, DDs won't shoot to reset you.

I agree with you completely on RU DDs capping. They are cap machines and it's on account of there speed.  I can get on cap and out before a ship even makes it close.  And if I'm spotted, the guns are enough to make anyone think twice.
Edited by NoZoupForYou

[-K--]
Members
1,151 posts
9,208 battles

To carry your Calvin and Hobbes analogy further...Fletcher can transmogrify into nearly anything the team needs.  Torp boat?  Check.  Gun boat?  Check.  AA boat?  Check.  So much fun.

4VYaUa4.gif

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 2

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

To carry your Calvin and Hobbes analogy further...Fletcher can transmogrify into nearly anything the team needs.  Torp boat?  Check.  Gun boat?  Check.  AA boat?  Check.  So much fun.

4VYaUa4.gif

The indispensable Fletcher.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

The Pinnacle of the USN DD line. 

And in real history.  But I also am really enjoying the Gearing as well....

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

And in real history.  But I also am really enjoying the Gearing as well....

You mean you enjoy the history of the Gearing.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,653 battles

The Pinnacle of the USN DD line. 

Eh, at this point I think the Clemson takes that title. Even if it still faced T6 ships.

Members
1,695 posts
8,924 battles

You mean you enjoy the history of the Gearing.

Nope.... I legitimately have fun in the Gearing.  Though I suspect when I finish the Grind tonthe Kabbie my opinion might change...

Sign in to follow this