Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
orangeandblue

North Carolina or Amagi

20 comments in this topic

Members
475 posts
6,507 battles

So I finished the Bismarck mission and since I already own the Bismarck I received the equivalent in silver, and I have both the North Carolina and Amagi battle ships unlocked. So I can afford either one but I'm not sure which one to buy. I like the fact there are by far more American battle ship premiums and therefore far more opportunity to train  up American BB commanders. I'd like to keep my Colorado and move that captain up to the North Carolina eventually, which means I'll need to continue training another American BB captain. The Japanese line, unfortunately at this time, does not have that luxury with only the Ishizuchi at tier IV for training purposes and...well, yeah. Currently I own the Texas, Arizona and Alabama for trainers. I'll probably check and see if I can find reviews on both ships but I figured I'd see what the consensus is on the forums too. Input appreciated. 

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Amagi has a very good speed and is surprisingly tanky when angled correctly. On top of that Amagi has the highest damage per salvo of any T8 or T9 Battleship so if you find yourself as lowest Tier you can still get decent results.

North Carolina has slightly better survivability and better AA, also the turret layout is superior.

I say Amagi.

Members
1,744 posts
8,862 battles

Stealth NCs are a hell of a lot of fun. That is one of my keeper ships. I understand the play style is much like the Alabama though, so if you have that it should let you know what you are in for.

When I played the Amagi, I was rushing for the Yamato and never really got good with her. I kept the NC because of the role the class played in Guadalcanal, but I was at around 45% with her as well for about my first 80 games. Now the NC is one of my best ships, in all fairness I never gave the Amagi enough of a chance.

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,257 posts
12,077 battles

NC will be on discount early July.

Get the IJN now and hope you can save enough for the USN in July?

Members
142 posts
5,634 battles

I have both and like them both. 

I like being able to chain fire the Amagi. The distribution caused by this allows me to do damage at distance even if the target changes its aspect. So it's more of a sure thing. I have found the Amagi secondaries to be above average when in range given that you have 8 HE and 8 AP per side. It seems the secondaries on the Amagi are more accurate (w/o Manual Secondaries) than the North Carolina.

The North Carolina, superior concealment, great maneuvering, functional mains, great AA. The secondaries I don't consider fantastic. I'm very biased towards the North Carolina as I see the real ship at least once per month and I love it. In game it comes down to play style. 

Given your premium set it sounds like the North Carolina would be the path of least resistance. Though on the other hand the Ishizuchi and Mutsu (if you can get it) are good trainers. 

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

My opinion and its corresponding reasons summed up in 35 seconds.

Edited by TenguBlade
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

My opinion and its corresponding reasons summed up in 35 seconds.

/thread

Members
1,549 posts
5,319 battles

This has two different answers based on your long term goals.

If you are looking for the better T8 BB with some troll level armor that is able to dictate range and has superior accuracy, get the Amagi.  It is a joy to play and the only real issue it has is having to wiggle to use the rear guns, but the angles are still solid.  It is a bit soft on the sides, but at T8+ if you show broadside, your going to get punished regardless of the ship you are in.  The Amagi AA is probably the worst of the T8 BBs, but it is still respectable.  My main issue with the Amagi is it leads to the Izumo, which is the worst T9 BB.

If you are looking for the better T8 and T9 combination of ships to grind, the NC and Iowa are better than the Amagi and Izumo.  They play similar and once the Iowa citadel gets lowered, they will be much closer together.  If carriers ever return in force, then the NC has better AA.  The main downside of the NC is that its shells float at long range and it isn't as accurate.  The Iowa is the most accurate T9 BB, so you give up some at T8 to get the benefit at T9.

As for T10 BBs, once the Montana citadel is lowered, I think they will all be pretty solid.  The main issue with USN is that they swap over to snipers from T9 up so they need to dictate range and try not to get caught in brawls.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,874 battles

You can visit and stand on the deck of the North Carolina.  It's about as real as you can get.

It leads to Iowa, which is another ship you can actually visit and stand on.

When I show someone my collection of ships, it's kind of embarrassing to show something 'paper', or something that never fought in a war.

Missouri, Arizona, Hood, Bismarck,Yamato..  Those are real ships that did real things, and are recognized by about EVERYONE.

The Amagi leads to the paper pay-wall Izumo, which leads to the Yamato.  I say that because the Izumo performs rather badly for tier 9, which will lose credits on anything but a phenomenal game.

Members
277 posts
7,925 battles

Right, both is the answer. But if you have to choose, Amagi is the more consistent performer, IMO. Though I admittedly haven't played enough NC to fully get comfortable with her. Amagi, on the other hand, felt like a velvet glove from the very first battle. 

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Amagi - super kongo with monda guns

[BONKZ]
[BONKZ]
Members
1,629 posts
16,259 battles

I voted NC, I like both NC and Amagi, I just got Amagi though, also because of getting free Bismark. I am just in love with T8-10 USN BB play. As stated above, each have advantages. 

[BONKZ]
[BONKZ]
Members
1,629 posts
16,259 battles

Right, both is the answer. But if you have to choose, Amagi is the more consistent performer, IMO. Though I admittedly haven't played enough NC to fully get comfortable with her. Amagi, on the other hand, felt like a velvet glove from the very first battle. 

Good point, took me a few games to learn stealth NC play. However, I distinctly remember saying to myself after my first few Amagi games, "man i love this ship!"

Members
475 posts
6,507 battles

Well yes I do intend to get both eventually. Just wondering where to start. lol I'm going to check out some YouTube reviews on them today hopefully.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Both are awesome ships. The Amagi's a freaking tank when angled, cannot be citadel'd bellow 6km, and it's got potent firepower. The NC has more utility though. While the NC may be less tankey than the Amagi, the guns are much more reliable at range, and it's got excellent AA.

Here's a good assessment: If you want a great sniper, you go NC. if you want a great brawler, you go Amagi.

Sign in to follow this