Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Uber_Ghost

Help me choose my 2nd line...

8 comments in this topic

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

So I've worked my way up my first line as a German BB.  I'm currently at the FDG and I assume the grind will be long.  I've loved everything about it but it's also time to jump into something different to expand my horizons.  I've given it as much thought as one can do without any empirical knowledge...and I'm left with the notion that it has to be a CA or DD.  BB's are great and all.  And, it seems to be a main focus of the player base and the Dev's.  The choice to run a German BB as my first line seemed obvious to me.  Still, I need to jump into something very different than the massive ship 9-10 BB meta.  If I'm going to grind a FDG for a GK, then I need something to give me a break from the somewhat singular play style.

In no particular order, I'm partial to British CA's, German CA's, and Russian DD's.  All of those seem to be fun to watch being played well at every tier after 5.  And, the Tier X ships seem to have real relative value.  I'm guessing I would be a liability (due to lack of experience) as a capping DD or CV player.  I suspect my third choice will be one of those two.  

Regardless, I really don't know...what I don't know.  I've been a "gamer" for longer than I'll ever admit.  One of the most important constants I've learned is that experience is the most valuable commodity...given that skill is not a ceiling.  In most of my previous games, I was in a guild or clan where I could bounce ideas off of the Regs.  This game really isn't heavily group-orientated like that, so I've come here to do my bidding.  

Accordingly...for those veterans's out there with a wealth of experience:  If you were to pick your first 2nd line...knowing what you know....and assuming it should be something other than a BB, what would it be?  Why?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

[FAE]
Members
2,626 posts
3,982 battles

for power brit CAs  

for science and fun, german CAs are underappreciated and unique

[SYN]
Members
8,292 posts
14,496 battles

In no particular order, I'm partial to British CA's, German CA's, and Russian DD's.  All of those seem to be fun to watch being played well at every tier after 5.  And, the Tier X ships seem to have real relative value.  I'm guessing I would be a liability (due to lack of experience) as a capping DD or CV player.  I suspect my third choice will be one of those two.

I kinda played everything to t5 before I started finding what I liked. And then still worked all the lines instead of grinding just one.

VMF DDs are fun, but with the nerf to stealth firing, I feel they have gotten more tricky.

RN CA's are fragile and smart use of their smoke is important, while fun, they can also be frustrating. And until t6... they are not the most enjoyable grind.

German CA's are solid boats, but at the same time lack much "pizzazz" 

Personally I think the USN DDs are the best and most versatile (and loads of fun). At first they have shorter range torps than the IJN and rely more on island cover and gunfighting, but later evolve into great torpedo boats as well. They are the best at contesting caps, and don't worry about being a liability, you will catch on quick.

Ultimately it's up to your preferences and your play style though.

[DOOP]
Members
856 posts
2,442 battles

Go with the USN DDs or the Russian cruisers. You'll have fun either way.

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,323 battles

Play a little of everything, it will help you become a much better player. 

Knowing the ins and outs personally of how each ship handles goes a long ways.

The public test server is up, I would suggest just playing around on there and trying out all kinds of ships to see what you might like.  Though remember that its the test server and people do not play as they do on live.

Alpha Tester
2,162 posts
6,770 battles

Nothing makes all round fun like the USN DD line. The Russian ships, while powerful, are really boring as they all play the same (sail in back and fire HE).

The German cruisers will be in a very good place after the penetration buff, if you do CAs I recommend this line.

There really aren't any under-powered tier 10s, tho if I had to pick one: Yamato is in the worst place.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,144 posts
30,906 battles

So I've worked my way up my first line as a German BB.  I'm currently at the FDG and I assume the grind will be long.  I've loved everything about it but it's also time to jump into something different to expand my horizons.  I've given it as much thought as one can do without any empirical knowledge...and I'm left with the notion that it has to be a CA or DD.  BB's are great and all.  And, it seems to be a main focus of the player base and the Dev's.  The choice to run a German BB as my first line seemed obvious to me.  Still, I need to jump into something very different than the massive ship 9-10 BB meta.  If I'm going to grind a FDG for a GK, then I need something to give me a break from the somewhat singular play style.

Regardless, I really don't know...what I don't know.  I've been a "gamer" for longer than I'll ever admit.  One of the most important constants I've learned is that experience is the most valuable commodity...given that skill is not a ceiling.  In most of my previous games, I was in a guild or clan where I could bounce ideas off of the Regs.  This game really isn't heavily group-orientated like that, so I've come here to do my bidding.  

Accordingly...for those veterans's out there with a wealth of experience:  If you were to pick your first 2nd line...knowing what you know....and assuming it should be something other than a BB, what would it be?  Why?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

From what you're saying, I think a line, playstyle that is greatly different from what you played with German BBs is in order.  Of the ships you listed, RN Cruisers are the biggest break from what you've experienced.  Why?

RN CLs

They tend to be decent in concealment among Cruisers of their respective tiers.

Their armor however is the WORST, this alone will be in stark contrast to the armor, turtlebacks that have saved your butt many times in a German BB!

They do have the safeguard of smoke, hull repair for most of the line.  Other Cruiser lines get repair at IX+.  No tech tree Cruisers outside RN ones get smoke.

Possible engagement ranges for RN Cruisers are not long range typically.  They are intermediate, short range fighters.  This may be familiar to what you are used to with German BBs as they aren't considered long shooters.

Positioning is absolutely vital to them.  Use the awareness you got as a German BB to gage how far in you can go to position, draw on your experience as a BB, "Yeah, this is a bad spot to stay" and GTFO of town.  This time you have better stealth as a Cruiser.  Just remember your armor is terrible.

Tier IX-X ones can be built to have excellent AA but all RN CLs lack Defensive Fire.

But a case can be said for German Cruisers

For one simple reason.  If you have spare German Captains with decent points to them, jumpstarting your Cruiser progress with Ze Germans will be much more easy.  I'm not saying "Take your FDG skipper for a Cruiser grind," I'm saying if you had any spares with the 6, 7 or whatever points, your grind will be easier.

Do not bank too much on German Cruiser armor (actually, don't bank on Cruiser armor at all).  Angle, use islands, etc.  Adm.Hipper / Prinz Eugen have saved me from some salvos but they can easily get insta-deleted the next one from a BB.

German Cruisers tend to be pretty balanced in armament.  Decent 6km range torps with good angles, nice shell arcs and velocity (Yorck is the odd one of the entire line).  The HE shell damage and Fire % is absymal but their penetration is going to get buffed soon.  German Cruiser AP however is strong damage value wise, but they can bounce as easily as any non-USN, non-RN ones.  From Tier VIII onwards, they have potentially good AA if built for it.

Lastly, a trip in the German, USN, IJN DD lines can also greatly flesh out your experience.  They rely a lot on concealment mechanics and some very heavily into torpedoes.  IJN ones in particular bank everything on stealth and torps and that is an area that can greatly expand your experience compared to what you played as a BB.  See what it's like on the other side of the fence as a DD.  Maybe it can improve your own play for other lines when you see what it's like in a Torp DD, what they like, what they don't like to see.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,973 posts
13,112 battles

Well considering how horrendously op German cruisers are about to become, I would start grinding them out.

[2UNA]
Members
596 posts
7,043 battles

Thank you for the responses.

I actually considered the RN CL's specifically because it is in such stark contrast to German BB's so you hit the mark there HGU.  In addition, it seems that the stealth firing nerf might have placed a stronger emphasis on concealment values and strategic timing of shots.  Initially, I thought this choice was always going to be a USN DD.  Yet, as much as my heart wants me to run them(I actually wrote a term paper on the role of DD's in Leyte), I am concerned about a knife fighting DD's role in the long term.  I will run them.  The question is when.  There's so much sentimental investment into it that I'll probably create/delete ships until I get a USN captain's name that historically resonates with me.  That's how much I'm invested into that line.

With that being said, I'm letting my mind control this decision...and not my heart.  I did consider the Russian CA line for fun, but ending up in a Moskva seemed a bit redundant from the German BB line.  It's different, but not by a wide enough margin.  No one (yet) seems to favor Russian DD's, so that seems like a dead end.  At this point, I think I'm leaning where some of you have hinted, between the RN CL's or the German CA's.  And, I'm a bit of a "completionist"...so I really like to run and hopefully master a line before I can truly decide just how much I like it.  It's most likely far wiser to sample the different lines before I invest.  Yet, I know once I start a line, I won't come up for air until I'm done.  I guess that's just how I'm wired.  

Not to diminish anyone's favorite line, but this is less about the fun factor and more about utility.  And, I want my second choice to be different than a BB, but strong enough to give me some Clan/Div value.  That group aspect has always been an important part of my gaming fun, and I want to create a valuable portfolio.  I mean, I was a "tank" in my previous MMO and I loved that thankless job to death.  I get more fun out of being a valuable group member than the actual role I'm playing.  Granted, my 3rd, 4th and 5th choices will be made straight from the heart...unless someone manipulates me into thinking CV's are fun.  But...I digress.   

Apart from extensive Youtube research, I actually compared/contrasted all the concealment numbers plus ranges (and many other data points) to get a feel for what I was looking for.  It ended up as a dead heat between the RN-German lines.  I'd like to run the RN line for it's unique tool set, but I'd also like to run the (buffed) German line for it's versatility...and the fact I never really get to fire many HE shells as a BB.  I have a decent idea how the RN plays.  I'm not sure how the German line will play after the patch...if any different than before.

So...focusing it down, which line would you guess would be more valuable to someone interested in getting into the clan scene?  Or, why would you choose (personally) one line over the other?

As always, thanks of the input.  It's already been immensely helpful.                         

Sign in to follow this