You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

La Gal- WG's idea of a bad joke?

61 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

This ship just flat out sucks.   Piss poor offensive capabilities, NO defense- and it has Pensacola syndrome x10.

Seriously, WG- please give this one a buff of some sort.

Free xp time- this one isn't worth the effort.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,181 posts
12,174 battles

The ship isn't the problem. I did well in the La Galissonniere, lots of high damage rounds thanks to her great offensive capabilities. Her ability to accurately put rounds (including her good HE) on a target with a decent ROF. Ability to be in advantageous positions thanks to her engine boost. Hydro makes her a decent DD hunter too. Great rudder shift for dodging incoming fire and torps. And the Pensacola syndrome? Is that the syndrome where players who due to their own failure can't make a perfectly capable ship perform because they have failed to learn basic game mechanics and tactics, because they have no ability to adapt to different play styles so instead they come cry on the forums and blame the ship?

Edited by Kapitanleutnant_Ford
  • Cool 9

[HINON]
Supertester
19,901 posts
13,384 battles

The ship isn't the problem. I did well in the La Galissonniere, lots of high damage rounds thanks to her great offensive capabilities. Her ability to accurately put rounds (including her good HE) on a target with a decent ROF. Ability to be in advantageous positions thanks to her engine boost. Hydro makes her a decent DD hunter too. Great rudder shift for dodging incoming fire and torps. And the Pensacola syndrome? Is that the syndrome where players who due to their own failure can't make a perfectly capable ship perform because they have failed to learn basic game mechanics and tactics, because they have no ability to adapt to different play styles so instead they come cry on the forums and blame the ship?

f7FdEdG.jpg

Not saying that La Gal is 'perfectly fine', she could use a minor ROF buff IMO, but she's far far from 'a bad joke' with 'pensacola syndrome x10'. Don't try to force her into a role she's ill suited for, and she can perform

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,147 posts
10,877 battles

Her ROF is pretty bad, worst 6in ROF at T6, good traverse means you do keep firing pretty nicely but it's frustrating when you catch a DD say to get so little output.

Supposedly (reddit rumors) she'll get a ROF buff when De Grasse comes out to match the premium and make it a little less 'P2be better'.

Budyonny is too closely comparable to make La G look good. 

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,543 battles

Those things can be nasty. Not many in the game, it seems. When they are near to me, I go after them.

& OP, the Pensacola is just fine. You don't seem to understand how to use these ships.

Beta Testers
29 posts
6,781 battles

I have only had 3 battles in her so far. My first 2 were losses and I noticed an unbelievable amount of shattered he rounds. I even had he rounds shattering on DD's.

It has always been one of my favorite ships, very good looking ship. And it should be one of the best Lt. cruisers out there. I like the turret traverse and I find it handles well

enough. I DO believe her rate of fire should never have been nerfed to begin with but I have my own belief behind why (lets just say Russian). Have not really found a problem

with her armor in fact I have bounced quite a few rounds from cruisers. Like what has already been said buff her RoF .  Also the Pensacola is a fine ship. Oh and fix the he rounds :)

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,615 posts
6,838 battles

lagal was alright.  Budyonny is easier ship though. 

Because Budyonny is broken. Budyonny is one of the T6 boats where I don't mind sitting in T8 battles, even my Graf Spee can't say that.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

Too bad there isn't a thumbs down button- your post screams for it, with the mother of all presumptions.

Pensacola syndrome:   When the entire enemy team drops whatever they're doing to shoot at a spotted Pensacola- just because it's soft, and easy to citadel.    Same thing happens with this one- everyone knows it has little armor, and will take massive damage from any angle- so they fall all over themselves to shoot at you whenever you get spotted.  Ie Pensacola syndrome.  The x10 is due to it not having Pepsi's maneuverability or fearsome guns, and it being new.   Ie both ships are serious shell magnets.

As for the reasoning behind my opinion,  La Gal feels like it was overly nerfed (kind of like Cleveland) just to fit the tier- and they went too far.   It actually feels like a downgrade from the Bertin.  And like it's lacking something compared to other tier 6 cruisers.   Why does the ROF have to be so slow?  Why did the torpedo armament get cut to just 2 per side?  Why is it covered- literally- with AA but not very good vs planes?   Other than adding some more 90mm dual purpose guns, chopping it's speed- then adding a speed boost, and giving it a few more hp, it really isn't an improvement over the Bertin.  Nurnberg was at least a tangible improvement over Koney, even if it didn't get the 360 deg turrets until now.  Nurny is just plain RUDE to other ships it runs into,lol- I loved that grind.

It IS a darned handsome ship, though.  The French make nice looking cruisers!

It's very much like Buddy- which I don't like either- just with torpedoes that CAN reach out and touch something, and a too low rate of fire.   ( and a good example of why the super short ranged torps on the Russian CL's are actually a blessing in disguise: you're rarely tempted to use them- and get shellacked for it.)

Also, for the record, Pensacola is one of my all time favorites, and I love mine.  No troubles doing good work in it.

Thanks for the snarky, "angry fanboy"-type reply though.

I'm VERY eager to get my hands on Algerie, and that could also explain my lack of patience with grinding through a pincushion to get to it.  (and all those free xp's just sitting there waiting for something for me to spend them on!)  Plus, I've LOVED all the other French cruisers so far- making this one a bitter disappointment.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

If I were a betting man I'd say you're too aggressive in it for your own good. 

You're probably right!  

It's been pve- only so far, as it's new and I'm on a break from randoms.  There, you don't always get a choice to be aggressive- the reds charge right at you.  When they don't, it's a race to get some damage in before the most aggressive players murder them all and the game ends in 6 minutes or less.   This has obviously affected my playstyle- you snooze, you lose!

Today, we got the Aggro-bots.  

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

Those things can be nasty. Not many in the game, it seems. When they are near to me, I go after them.

& OP, the Pensacola is just fine. You don't seem to understand how to use these ships.

I never said it wasn't.  Pepsi is one of my favorite ships to play, and I do very well with it.   It just gets: " HEY LOOK- A PENSACOLA!  KILL IT NAO!!!!!!!" whenever it gets spotted.   So does La Gal.  Enemies will ignore close by ships- ones that are shooting them to pieces- just to shoot at it.   That's Pensacola syndrome.

[OBS]
Members
1,260 posts
9,477 battles

Galee-son-yair was lackluster, I tended to have a difficult time getting the damage out of it.  IFHE helped with all those broken shells, which was my biggest complaint to start with.  You need adrenaline rush, need ifhe which therefore means you also need demo expert, and you also need concealment expert; all this means you really have to have an experienced commander to get the ship to fight decently imo.  And I didn't get all of that until I was basically past it to the Algerie, which is actually a ship you can get in there and do something with.  Sort of a Pensacola that wants to be an Aoba with the range upward of a Chapayev.  They're French, what do you want?

[SPTR]
Members
26,256 posts
11,563 battles

I find La Gal not a bad joke but more like an average cruiser, it's alright for what it brings to the table but it's not terridad, try fighting at range its got good gun range, if you're being focused down don't be the 1st one spotted.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

Galee-son-yair was lackluster, I tended to have a difficult time getting the damage out of it.  IFHE helped with all those broken shells, which was my biggest complaint to start with.  You need adrenaline rush, need ifhe which therefore means you also need demo expert, and you also need concealment expert; all this means you really have to have an experienced commander to get the ship to fight decently imo.  And I didn't get all of that until I was basically past it to the Algerie, which is actually a ship you can get in there and do something with.  Sort of a Pensacola that wants to be an Aoba with the range upward of a Chapayev.  They're French, what do you want?

Thanks!   Yeah, I just have a 10 pt commander on it- my best French commander atm.   I ended up going with Concealment Expert for my 4 pt skill, as I'm going to move it up into Algerie when I get it.  (IFHE being not especially valuable for 203mm guns)  Last Stand is always my first pick for a 2 pointer on CL and DD captains, just because they lose engines and rudder so often.   Adrenaline rush will come on my second trip through the skill tree.

The poor damage returns were exactly what I dislike about it.

Your description of Algerie just makes me want it more!

[ATFW]
[ATFW]
Beta Testers
41 posts
2,737 battles

Thanks!   Yeah, I just have a 10 pt commander on it- my best French commander atm.   I ended up going with Concealment Expert for my 4 pt skill, as I'm going to move it up into Algerie when I get it.  (IFHE being not especially valuable for 203mm guns)  Last Stand is always my first pick for a 2 pointer on CL and DD captains, just because they lose engines and rudder so often.   Adrenaline rush will come on my second trip through the skill tree.

My first few battles in it I was very dissapointed in the ship.  I had to learn to be much less aggressive (as others have pointed out) just to survive.  I am about through the ship now, and don't mind taking it out like I used to.  I do have to watch though, I am grinding the Nurnburg, Budyonoy, and La Gal at the same time, all with the same camo..  Forgetting which one I am in can be....interesting..LOL

[OBS]
Members
1,260 posts
9,477 battles

Yeah the gay-leese was an easy sell once getting past it.  I've got Aoba, Leander, Spee and Cleve for decent T6 boats.  17.9km range with Algerie, looks promising.  Somewhat surprised they let it have such a range, but the more recent a ship type is in game, the more capable it seems to get.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,430 posts

My first few battles in it I was very dissapointed in the ship.  I had to learn to be much less aggressive (as others have pointed out) just to survive.  I am about through the ship now, and don't mind taking it out like I used to.  I do have to watch though, I am grinding the Nurnburg, Budyonoy, and La Gal at the same time, all with the same camo..  Forgetting which one I am in can be....interesting..LOL

I bet!!  Trying to kite with La Gal, after playing several matches in Nurnberg would be a rude awakening,lol.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,147 posts
10,877 battles

Needing IFHE to make the ship work well, while the next 4 ships in the line don't benefit much at all from it is frustrating. I don't think De Grasse is a good premium for the same reason, conflicting build.

Members
887 posts
1,621 battles

Wrong, it is a terrible ship.  Inferior in almost every stat except turret rotation.  It is slow with terrible dpm by a huge margin.  The armor is just perfect for easy citadeling by most ships despite the narrow citadel.  I love cruisers, and this is hands down the worst of all the tier 6 cruisers.  Anything it can do, any other ship can do better, while still beating the Gal in stats it doesnt specialize in, except for turret rotation.

That engine boost is a joke.  They use the Tier 6 consumable to make it not so much slower, but still slower than the rest of the cruisers.

It isn't a matter of "skill"  It is a matter of comparing "how would any other ship in the game compare to it"  The Emile Bertin is a better ship.  Faster, more maneuverable and harder to hit with minimal RPM difference.  Easy to say peeps are complaining cause they need to "Git Gud"  But when in most every situation, any other ship would be better?  Nah.

Algerie though feels huge step up by comparision.  Hell, I would be happy if I could have used the EB in tier 6 to work to the Algerie.  Mostly cause the 203s make for nice shell application.

What Gal needs is to have it's proper historical 34 kt, PROVEN, cruising speed.

Edited by Vaporisor

[DD214]
Members
765 posts
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:42 PM, BullHalsey said:

IFHE does see to help with the shatter problem. As for the ship, she is fun and French. As a book I once had on fixing sports cars once said "And the French, who an understand the French?" 

[TLOD]
Members
263 posts

What is with the bashing against all those taht like the ship? Do you have such a huge Problem accepting other peoples opinions?

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,147 posts
10,877 battles
5 hours ago, Volga1987 said:

What is with the bashing against all those taht like the ship? Do you have such a huge Problem accepting other peoples opinions?

There are opinions, such as 'La G is fun'.

Then there are statements such as 'The ROF is decent'. Well 'decent' is pretty vague, but if you look at T5-T7 for CL ROF:

• La G - 9s
  • Budyonny, Cleveland (12 guns), Schors - 8s
  • Konigsberg, Emerald, Leander, Duca d'Aosta,  Fiji - 7.5s
  • Omaha - 7s
  • Nurnburg - 6s

Although you could argue that all of the above are 'decent' I'm not in agreement, 'decent' would be the middling 7.5s reload of most light cruisers, La G's 9s is 20% worse than that.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

even though it may have slowest ROF,  I found la gal to be quite usable.  my own stat shows that my avg dmg is similar  or better than leander .    it wasn't a long grind, so it didn't bother me to grind through it. 

and I am finding algerie to be quite a good little ship. almost done with the grind already.

Edited by centarina