You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Mouse's Omaha-Bot Challenge (pre-season)

97 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,599 posts
10,751 battles

Think you're pretty good in your Battleships?  Think you know your way around the game?  I've got a challenge for you.

PLEASE BE AWARE

This challenge requires the use of the <TRAINING ROOM>

In the spoiler at the bottom is instructions for how to enable this without the use of a mod.

Setup

160px-Polar.png

Map:   Polar (24km x 24km), Standard Battle

Goal:  Win the Battle

Opponents:  Six (6) Omaha-class Cruiser Bots (Random mix of hull types)

The player may select any Battleship of their choosing.  This can be in any configuration, with their choice of upgrades, signal flags and consumables.  Because the Training Room will be used, there are no repair costs and no restocking of any consumables used (this means you can use signal flags and no, they won't be used up attempting this).  Any Captain may be used and players are free to select skills of their choosing.  The tier of the Battleship does not matter for this challenge -- players may attempt it with as low tier as a Mikasa or as high tiers as a Montana. 

For opponents, select six (6) Omaha-class cruisers.  Make sure the boxes for 'Armed' and 'Active' are ticked before populating the enemy team.  They will try to sink the player with all of their weapons at their disposal.

Notes

That's it.  That's the whole of the challenge.  Let me know how you do.  For bragging rights, post the first and third results screens.  The first will show the ship you used and all of your pretty ribbons.  The third will show the amount of damage you took, how many hits it took you to lay the enemy low and how long it took you.

This is harder than it seems at first, but it's quite doable with many different tiers of Battleships.  Some do have it much easier than others and it helps illustrate some of the key strengths of select Battleships.  These Omaha can (and will) sink you quite reliably if you take them lightly, if you aim poorly or make a mistake.  If you find this challenge too easy, try adding another two Omaha.  I've found that six is pretty much the magic number where they're a real handful to deal with successfully but it's possible with good, reliable play.

I'm curious to see who can do it in the fastest time and what ships are used.

DISCLAIMER:  This will be altering one of the game files for World of Warships.  While this is perfectly safe, please do the following:  Make sure you create a copy and backup of the file in question and keep it in a safe place (like on your desktop or a special folder somewhere else on your computer that you can easily locate).  Also ensure that World of Warships isn't currently running.

1. In your World of Warships game folder (wherever you installed that), click the <res> folder and open it.
  2. Open the scripts_config file with Notepad.
  3. At the bottom of the document, you should see a line that says <disableTrainingRoom>true</disableTrainingRoom>.  Erase the true and replace it with false.
  4. With the Notepad program, click File at the top left of the screen to open the menu and then click Save.
  5. Close Notepad.
  6. Launch World of Warships.  Where you would normally select Random or Co-Op Battles, you now have the option of using the Training Rooms.

dYfv7ea.png?1

• Cool 13

[-K--]
Members
663 posts
7,521 battles

Oh boy...sounds like a party for the Tirpitz. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,487 posts
21,345 battles

Will try with Arizona, Tirpitz and Grosser Kurfuerst.

Arizona:

PMrONFE.jpg

The problem here is that Arizona is very slow, and though she semi-reliable murders Omahas with each salvo, her ROF holds her back. The map is also very small, meaning that before long you're surrounded and just eat a face-full of torpedoes.

Tirpitz:

7dQ2u90.jpg

Detonating a bot with my secondaries certainly helped. Dodging the fish was the biggest problem. Made it by the skin of my teeth.

Members
612 posts
8,439 battles

Oh boy...sounds like a party for the Tirpitz. 

My thought as well. But the Omahas have 5.5km torps. And the Murmansk and Marblehead have 8km torps, so be aware of torps.

[TJRD]
Members
836 posts
5,476 battles

Will try with my Bismarck, and if i'm feeling really confident, the Graf Spee. :B

Edited by Sir_Orrin

[WG-CC]
12,599 posts
10,751 battles

Will try with my Bismarck, and if i'm feeling really confident, the Graf Spee. :B

It's MUCH easier in cruisers than it is Battleships.

[CALUL]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

Since you are challenging us, won't you submit your own run?

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles

Depending on how accurate the bots are, I'd imagine you'd be on fire pretty much from a few seconds after they spot you until you kill the last one

Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

shot-17.06.02_16.30.56-0232_zpsqat2q1jl.

shot-17.06.02_16.32.47-0105_zpspgx77cuv.

I probably wouldn't have failed so hard if I hadn't gone for that ram... :look::fishpalm:

Edited by Goodwood_Alpha

Members
1,507 posts
1,138 battles

Would this be more challenging or less challenging if the enemies were Clevelands instead of Omahas?

Members
3,067 posts
2,546 battles

My thought as well. But the Omahas have 5.5km torps. And the Murmansk and Marblehead have 8km torps, so be aware of torps.

You do know Tirpitz got buffed on her secondaries' range to be same as Bismarck? XD

[IN3PT]
Beta Testers
1,703 posts
6,462 battles

I wonder if Nassau's 22 second reload and hex arrangement might make it a good low tier boat for this, sadly gonna be at least a day before I can try this.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

Would this be more challenging or less challenging if the enemies were Clevelands instead of Omahas?

More, I'd expect. Barring Omaha's torpedoes, Cleveland has much greater firepower, as well as much greater durability.

I'll probably give this a shot with Gneisenau and Ishizuchi. Somebody ought to try a secondary spec on something that has AP secondaries; I would not be at all surprised if the Omahas actually got citadeled semi-regularly by secondaries.

[-K-]
Members, Beta Testers
3,105 posts
9,261 battles

Did it with G. Kurfurst with a 19-point commander against 8 Omahas, with about 20k hit points remaining.

It was fun for a few minutes, but then it reinforced how much I'm going to dislike the upcoming PVE scenarios because of terrible bot behavior.  You've made me sad, Mouse.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters
7,792 posts
2,144 battles

I suspect using a Scharnhorst or Dunkerque would be best for the speed...

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,099 posts
7,995 battles

I suspect using a Scharnhorst or Dunkerque would be best for the speed...

Since it's important to keep some distance (to avoid Torps) I would not recommend Dunkerque because of the turret layout,

[WG-CC]
12,599 posts
10,751 battles

Since you are challenging us, won't you submit your own run?

I came up with this test in the middle of some more detonation samples.  Bots are pretty brain dead and this means that they tend to sail bow onto you, at least until they have to throw fish at you.  If you're using battleship caliber shells, you can smack their magazines pretty reliably.  I'll be surprised if more than a few people don't report they detonated a couple of bots in their attempts.  I'll hold off on my observations about this challenge for now -- I want more people to try it so we can talk about some of the points of interest about it.  But here's the run I found most amusing (it wasn't my best time).

V74hIDV.jpg

Detonated one of them and made another TK their team mate.  100% skill, no luck.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[SYN]
Members
15,952 posts
12,803 battles

lol, what have you done LWM

The training rooms are filled with Polar :D