You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mahrs

Gaming Priority Target?

32 comments in this topic

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

I just...well...I cannot say played...I loaded into a match on Okinawa in Hindenburg.  I spawned poorly and was looking to kite my way back to safety.  Sadly, I got one-shot deleted by a GK from 20km away (what he sacrificed to RNGesus, I'd like to know).  Of note, my PT never lit up...

Is it possible that the better players out there are "unlocking" targets between salvos and then just briefly locking to shoot?  Has this been going on the whole time and I'm just slow?  Seems like it might be a clever way to nullify the value of this popular perk.

It's too bad about being deleted...ruined an otherwise good night.

Edited by Mahrs

Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

I like to target other targets first and not lock on to my actual target until I'm ready to fire when I'm sailing BBs.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
39,294 posts
31,553 battles

What's possible is the attacker had locked / "x keyed" another target, saw you and decided to fire at you without locking you as the target.  I do that all the time because there are many times I dislike the auto-targeting of what's in my scope.  Targets may be scattered at different ranges within my LOS and the auto targeting does crazy things, so I lock on a specific target I mean to regularly attack, but if I feel comfortable with the ship and its guns, I'll take fast, unlocked snap shots at someone if the opportunity is too good to pass up.

The GK hitting you at that range is totally lucky to do so, much less one-salvo'ing you.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[MOLD]
Members
3,885 posts
24,515 battles

I like to target other targets first and not lock on to my actual target until I'm ready to fire when I'm sailing BBs.

I do the same when I'm doing my torpedo runs, quite an important thing to do now that so many players are running PT.
Edited by m373x

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
17,054 posts
24,995 battles

I do what you describe fairly often. Always when dealing with a ship that seems to be actively dodging.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,645 battles

It is worth noting that if you don't actually lock a target before firing, your ship's dispersion is doubled, so while people might be firing without locking the target, they are doing so with dramatically reduced chance of a good result. The whole "lock target at the last second" thingy is something lots of people have been doing.

Members
1,797 posts
7,977 battles

Confirmed: I'm a scrub!

Sad that it took me this long to think of that.

[PROJX]
Members
1,120 posts
42,735 battles

I do this quite a bit in a BB, especially early game when a BB & cruiser are sailing close to the same angle near each other. I target the BB to get approx. range then switch to the cruiser at the last second as soon as the guns are ready.

[SYN]
Members
3,775 posts
25,446 battles

I mapped the target lock key to my mouse thumb button and have never looked back!

[MAUS]
Members
13,795 posts

I always do this.  I scan around for targets, usually keeping a low-value ship locked on while I scan about.  I then turn my guns, lock onto my intended prey, fire, and switch off again.  If someone isn't paying attention, they might not know that my rounds are incoming.

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Just make sure you're not firing at a target you're not locked onto.  Dispersion increases when firing at a non-locked target.  (I just read that somewhere I'm trying to track down the source)

Edit* found it.  Warships Podcast interview with Sub Octavian

How is accuracy affected by "locking" on to a target and the camoflage/modules that decrease accuracy of shots fired at the ship?

• Not locking on a target doubles the dispersion ellipse. Locking allows shells to go over obstacles and track your target. Bonus from camouflage/modules is far less than penalty for not locking.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/124407-the-warships-podcast-sub-octavian-qna-transcript-42717/

Edited by vonKaiser

Beta Testers
50 posts
22,334 battles

if you don't actually lock a target before firing, your ship's dispersion is doubled

Link to that? Would like to see if thats true.

Members
1,066 posts
4,705 battles

Every time my Priority Target goes off I hear (in Mr. De Niro's voice) "You talkin' to me?".  Doesn't matter if Priority Target then goes immediately off.  I just assume (same voice) "I'm the only one here"...and take whatever action seems appropriate.  It's still a good skill as it lets you know how many reds "might" be focusing on you, as co-coordinating a group of on-off targeting is hard to imagine.

[CK5]
Members
2,018 posts
26,222 battles

Just a good example of why a heads-up captain should be dodging constantly, even when not obviously targeted.  If you are sailing in a dangerous neighborhood, never take anything for granted. 

Members
4,515 posts
3,255 battles

I lock on as a DD when I want to know the heading of a ship and the torp predictor is great for that.  Easiest way to hit torps is to gull the player into thinking you are targeting someone else. Lock your target on ship A and launch on ship B

Members
807 posts
7,069 battles

If I see a cruiser player that I recognize on the enemy team, I like to spam the X button on them repeatedly when I'm not shooting to cause their Priority Target to freak out. 

I also did this sometimes in Supremacy League to try and mess with people. :trollface:

To answer the OP, I wait until I'm ready to shoot before locking on to the ship I'm trying to hit (more against cruisers than BB). I do this unless I'm already so close to them, that they'd need to be blind not to see my guns pointing at them.

Edited by Cruiser_Chicago

Beta Testers
903 posts
8,366 battles

I lock on as a DD when I want to know the heading of a ship and the torp predictor is great for that.  Easiest way to hit torps is to gull the player into thinking you are targeting someone else. Lock your target on ship A and launch on ship B

Fairly sure priority target only affects main guns.

Members
6,621 posts
8,658 battles

I do the same when I'm doing my torpedo runs, quite an important thing to do now that so many players are running PT.

Fairly sure priority target only affects main guns.

According to LittleWhiteMouse, PT only works when you've locked onto a target with main battery guns, not torpedoes.

Here:

Priority Target buffs the player, providing improved situational awareness through a UI addition that provides more information than simply the number of ships targeting you.

• As the skill only tells you when you're being targeted by guns only, it tells you the moment someone switches from guns to torpedoes.  This in turn lets you know when it's time to start wiggling.
  • Like Situational Awareness, it allows you to know how many unspotted ships are within your immediate vicinity. 
  • It allows you to take actions you might not contemplate without the surety of knowing if you're being actively targeted.  For example, parking pretty in Destroyer / British Cruiser / Mikhail Kutuzov and pew pewing to your heart's content at an enemy warship line without having to waste a smoke charge.  When that number ticks over, you know to blow smoke.

It is, hands down, one of the most effective skills for its point cost and is, quite frankly, under valued.

So, as long as you don't switch to guns, your target will never know if you've locked onto them with torpedoes selected. And like LWM said above, players are using the indicator jumping up and down by one quickly, to know when someone has swapped from torpedoes to guns or guns to torpedoes.

If you don't want your target knowing that you're lining up a torp salvo, then keep the torpedoes up and don't swap to guns until they react to the torps or sink.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SCCC]
Members
3,181 posts
17,754 battles

Do that many people actually use Priority Target? I find Preventative Maintenance so much more useful on all but the most fragile ships (RN and RU cruisers). And I will also only take PT for my last point on a 19-point commander if all other 18 points are used.

[FML]
Members
4,323 posts
16,699 battles

I always do this.  I scan around for targets, usually keeping a low-value ship locked on while I scan about.  I then turn my guns, lock onto my intended prey, fire, and switch off again.  If someone isn't paying attention, they might not know that my rounds are incoming.

I do this much of the time as well. 

In addition, anytime I am in a ship with Torps (given the unlimited range on selecting targets, unlike your main guns which only lock onto targets in gun range), regardless of DD, CL or BB, I often switch to Torps and lock onto any spotted enemy DD or other annoying ship (often UK CLs) so they start running or turning more frantically as their Priority Target counter just increased by another one. Sometimes, players bug out when their counter goes high, ie 4+, even when there aren't enough players around them to actually hit them. It's a cheap way to help the team between BB shots, in particular. 

I don't do this against BBs as they almost never have Priority Target. 

[FML]
Members
4,323 posts
16,699 battles

Do that many people actually use Priority Target? I find Preventative Maintenance so much more useful on all but the most fragile ships (RN and RU cruisers). And I will also only take PT for my last point on a 19-point commander if all other 18 points are used.

I use PT on all DDs and Cruisers. Knowing when you are spotted and knowing when you are hot property is valuable information to have handy in the heat of close quarters battle. I agree, it's more valuable on UK CLs as they can get one shotted by just 1 enemy targeting them, let alone 8...

Indont use it on BBs.