You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MegaZao

Kiev - I kind of like it

26 comments in this topic

[KSC]
Members
87 posts
10,700 battles

After 6 months of learning how to dd with the Gremy I figured it was time to grind for the Khabarovsk. Currently working the Kiev with a 16pt captain as I didn't want to retrain my 19pt Gremy captain.  Even those slow 8km torps sometimes work.  Just had this game today really impressed with the ship.  Still trying to figure out the best balance of captain skills and modules though.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/38204-tviper2003-Kiev-Land_of_Fire

JlGCqED.jpg

• Cool 2

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
Members
3,805 posts
16,317 battles

Nice game, will check it out when I get home if I don't forget. 

As for captain skills this is my recommended build: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011010010100000100019

Regarding upgrades I went for the concealment module which gets my detection under a very important threshold and allows me to reach 7.9 км.

[KSC]
Members
87 posts
10,700 battles

Nice game, will check it out when I get home if I don't forget. 

As for captain skills this is my recommended build: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011010010100000100019

Regarding upgrades I went for the concealment module which gets my detection under a very important threshold and allows me to reach 7.9 км.

This is the Captain build I'm currently running.  Close to what you have with a minor difference.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011000001100000100019

Have one point free currently.

[-BRS-]
Members
676 posts
12,710 battles

I personally prefer this build for my Kiev captain.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010010000000100119

CE does come in handy giving you more tactical and strategic options. You can also stealth torp, as well as not get detected right away in a cyclone as you have a buffer between the 7.1 km detection vs 8 km cyclone detection.

[KSC]
Members
87 posts
10,700 battles

Do you go through 4 smokes per match?

I try not to, but I don't like running out of smoke or speed boost.  

[EGO]
Members
208 posts
7,537 battles

U gotta go secondary build kappa. For real tho, any captain skill that lets u speed tank better or shoot better is a must. So priority target, AFT, BFT are a must. If u plan on taking ur captain higher, defensive mutely keep superintendent. The extra heals will be needed on Tashkent and khab. Makes it very easy to get dreadnaughts. I personally wouldn't recommend IFHE, but if u can memorize armor layouts, u could probs get better damage per game. Also, use AP. If anyone shows broadside, u can punish them quite well.

[KSC]
Members
87 posts
10,700 battles

That's the idea. I'm building this Captain for the Khabarovsk.  Now the question is do I grind the Trashcan or skip it?  I already end up in mostly tier 9 and 10 games as it is.  I am running the speed boost module 3min at 48kts with the speed flag is nice.

[EGO]
Members
208 posts
7,537 battles

That's the idea. I'm building this Captain for the Khabarovsk.  Now the question is do I grind the Trashcan or skip it?  I already end up in mostly tier 9 and 10 games as it is.  I am running the speed boost module 3min at 48kts with the speed flag is nice.

I haven't played Tashkent as t9, but I hated it at t8. But after seeing its gun range with aft(15k or so) it could be fun to rain HE at range. If I remembered it has like a 930m turning radius, so it doesn't turn worth a damn reinforcing staying at range. Funnily enough, it was hated at t8, but it's getting mixed reviews at t9. Give it a try. But don't right it off till u try it fully upgraded. 

Members
84 posts
2,057 battles

I am beyond horrible in the Kiev, I've played around 8 or 9 battles in it and only once did I last longer than 60 seconds. The moment I'm spotted my engines are crippled, every hit cripples the engines, and I die.  I never got Last Stand on the previous Russian DD's because I never needed it. Now I need gold to respec because it's critical. I've never experienced anything like this before. I cannot contest caps like I could in the rest of the line, I'm crippled and killed immediately. Low 12km range, low concealment (for a dd), fragility, I'm not effective.

Now I'm watching videos and it's saying that USSR DD are basically just cruisers with low HP, no armor, and no citadel. Why get into a DD if you can't scout or contest points? Nice, wasted my time when I could have just been grinding a Moskva instead. Just so frustrated feeling like I wasted my time.

• Cool 1

[GOFU]
Members
27 posts
3,829 battles
10 hours ago, Ice_King said:

I am beyond horrible in the Kiev, I've played around 8 or 9 battles in it and only once did I last longer than 60 seconds. The moment I'm spotted my engines are crippled, every hit cripples the engines, and I die.  I never got Last Stand on the previous Russian DD's because I never needed it. Now I need gold to respec because it's critical. I've never experienced anything like this before. I cannot contest caps like I could in the rest of the line, I'm crippled and killed immediately. Low 12km range, low concealment (for a dd), fragility, I'm not effective.

Now I'm watching videos and it's saying that USSR DD are basically just cruisers with low HP, no armor, and no citadel. Why get into a DD if you can't scout or contest points? Nice, wasted my time when I could have just been grinding a Moskva instead. Just so frustrated feeling like I wasted my time.

Do not cap or scout with a Kiev if there are better concealed DD's out there.  The best way to battle this little beast is to try to flank on the side and attack from the rear.  Use your speed to get behind the enemy battle line and spam with HE while the enemy BB's are engaged with your BB's.  If your up against one DD, go straight for him and wear him down with your guns.  If a cruiser comes after you, smoke, and spam him with HE and a spread of 10 torps.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
622 posts
2,780 battles

Kiev and the ships that come after it aren't cap contesters or anti-DD ships. They exist to make battleships miserable. They accomplish this by zooming around and being an annoying pest for minutes at a time, by constantly spamming low-impact (but high volume) damage from a range at which they are extremely difficult to hit. So run around at max range and dakkadakkadakka. At the end of the game, when the red destroyers are sunk, then you can silence your guns and push caps.

--Helms

• Cool 1

Members
111 posts
213 battles
On 6/1/2017 at 3:39 AM, tviper2003 said:

After 6 months of learning how to dd with the Gremy I figured it was time to grind for the Khabarovsk. Currently working the Kiev with a 16pt captain as I didn't want to retrain my 19pt Gremy captain.  Even those slow 8km torps sometimes work.  Just had this game today really impressed with the ship.  Still trying to figure out the best balance of captain skills and modules though.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/38204-tviper2003-Kiev-Land_of_Fire

JlGCqED.jpg

That's an awesome game man! Mostly the amount of torp hits! Well done.

[CUTER]
Members
765 posts
19,957 battles

Kiev is a lot of fun.  Highly recommend, even if I was a total potato in it.

Beta Testers
39 posts
1,029 battles
On 7/2/2017 at 7:11 PM, Ice_King said:

Four thousand throats can be cut in one night by a running man.

-- Klingon* proverb

This should be your motto as a Russian DD player.  Your job is to hang back and snipe a bit, as opportunity affords, until the yolos have been killed, and there are a bunch of wounded CAs and DDs milling about, then you get up, stretch your legs, and go cut as many throats as you can.  Speed is life.  Remember that your AP actually works fairly well against CAs.

* I am well-aware that Klingons don't exist.  The only thing lamer than referring to Klingon proverbs is feeling the need to point out that Klingons don't exist.  Get a life.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,647 posts
9,823 battles

The run of ships from Gnevny to Kiev are all really consistent. Kiev is your reward for learning to pewpewpew: now you get useable torpedoes. 

I'm really starting to love this little menace, so much so that I purchased the Leningrad, which is a really comparable ship, but with more guns and T7!

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
622 posts
2,780 battles

It is, though it really needs EM to get the most out of it, while Kiev does not.

--Helms

Members
387 posts
478 battles

Leningrad is SuperB, Kiev is nice but high tiers are a different thing, what I hate most is Tashkent (or Trashcan). I think I will sell it as soon as I get hands on the Khaba despite Tashkent was a real ship and Khaba is a paper one.

[WOLF9]
Members
330 posts
4,129 battles

I could not make Kiev work for the life of me.  I know it is used best as a run and gun boat until enemy DDs are dead, but what the hell are you supposed to do in a domination game with only 2 DDs per side?  Or when you are the only DD on a flank in a 3-4 DD game, and your BBs and CAs are all pissing and moaning because you aren't spotting and capping?  I may not continue up the line because I found Kiev incredibly frustrating in the current meta.