You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

In Praise of Pre-dreadnoughts

Pre-dreadnought Inclusion  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see pre-dreadnoughts included in the game in some manner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or 'It Depends"

237 comments in this topic

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
1 minute ago, LittlePone said:

i was thinking more of the potemkin, vary interesting history and more on par with the mikasa stats wise.

their is even a movie about it, its on youtube as well, kinda interesting. :fish_book:

potemkin01.jpg

Armament:
Armour:

Eisenstein's silent film is a classic, really worth watching. I listed the Potemkin (later named Panteleimon) and you're' right, she would be a good first choice as well for a Russian pre-dreadnought. 

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
9 hours ago, Wolcott said:

Keep in mind that this could be fake. Found it on the Asia forum.

Affiche_WG.jpg.aff7ef153ef6bad51dca66e94

I'm choosing to believe this, just because it makes sense the next pre dreadnought would be Russian and they'd be able to do a Tsushima event or something with that and Mikasa. Also WG seems to mark april fools with actual joke content rather than faking stuff(to my knowledge) which runs the risk of annoying a fanbase. This isn't like the dolphin special forces, just don't see a reason for this to be made up. 

Edited by Aristotle83

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles

Agree

1 hour ago, Aristotle83 said:

I'm choosing to believe this, just because it makes sense the next pre dreadnought would be Russian and they'd be able to do a Tsushima event or something with that and Mikasa. Also WG seems to mark april fools with actual joke content rather than faking stuff(to my knowledge) which runs the risk of annoying a fanbase. This isn't like the dolphin special forces, just don't see a reason for this to be made up. 

Alpha Tester
2,510 posts
On 4/2/2018 at 11:51 PM, Aristotle83 said:

That would be great if true. The anniversary of the battle of Tsushima is less than two months away. Hopefully there will be a Tsushima collection similar to Dunkirk last year. Since we already have Mikasa and Oleg, there could also be a PvE scenario based on the battle. Fingers crossed.

• Cool 2

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
On 4/3/2018 at 12:24 PM, Wolcott said:

That would be great if true. The anniversary of the battle of Tsushima is less than two months away. Hopefully there will be a Tsushima collection similar to Dunkirk last year. Since we already have Mikasa and Oleg, there could also be a PvE scenario based on the battle. Fingers crossed.

Yes same here although I have to think that is an early version as they will surely do the detailing on the Borodino better than that.

A Tsushima event would be nice. I'm betting the bow torpedo tube will be functional in the game. :)

• Cool 1

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles

Austro-Hungarian pre-dreadnought SMS Zrinyi has been added.The Radetzky-class battleship was notable for its heavy secondary armament of eight 9.4" guns in four wing turrets (along with the usual 20cm casemated single mounts, 10 per side).

With secondaries like that she would make a fine Tier II battleship for close in brawling. Do note the ramming prow.

Zrinyi.jpg.68aff7a6ab009e8616f0e2dab6661064.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 1

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles

The German pre-dreadnought Schleswig-Holstein has been added, the first battleship to fire broadsides in WW II.

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
On 4/16/2018 at 9:31 AM, Stauffenberg44 said:

Austro-Hungarian pre-dreadnought SMS Zrinyi has been added.The Radetzky-class battleship was notable for its heavy secondary armament of eight 9.4" guns in four wing turrets (along with the usual 20cm casemated single mounts, 10 per side).

With secondaries like that she would make a fine Tier II battleship for close in brawling. Do note the ramming prow.

Zrinyi.jpg.68aff7a6ab009e8616f0e2dab6661064.jpg

This is agreeable 

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
5 hours ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

This is agreeable 

Yes it is.

One has to envision a 'bash & crash' play style for tier II with lots of pre-dreadnoughts, as it was at the Battle of Tsushima, but with the added dimension of ramming. Get those ramming flags working finally.

[STURM]
Members
591 posts
4,835 battles

God, I would love to see either Henri IV or Charles Martel  in the game. I wouldn't even care if they were over or under-powered, I just have a soft spot for machines that are so strange and bizarre looking that they wrap back around to gorgeous. That might just by my strange tastes talking again though.

As for how they could be balanced in a game play sense, well...

To be honest, I don't think the game engine can even handle this, but what I would like to see is all guns, primary and secondary, counting as the main, player controlled battery. The catch would be, the different caliber guns would naturally have different penetration and damage, but also muzzle velocity and flight times. That way, they would be sort of terrible at longer ranges, but if you got up close so all shells would land on the target, you would gain devastating alpha strikes. Plus, it would show in game play terms why the pre-Dreadnoughts were phased out: difficulty in coordinating different size guns.

Trouble would be that that would be a difficult sort of game play given the slow speeds and introduction of torpedoes. And at low tiers with newbie seals queuing up to get clubbed, no less.

Ah, well, I can dream. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
13 hours ago, Baskerville77 said:

God, I would love to see either Henri IV or Charles Martel  in the game. I wouldn't even care if they were over or under-powered, I just have a soft spot for machines that are so strange and bizarre looking that they wrap back around to gorgeous

Perfectly said.

As for balance they can do whatever they want here. There is no RNG on torps on other tiers, they go exactly where you aim them. They could have a sort of "rng" for torps on tier II by making some of them faulty with no detonation, or else they sink and disappear, which often happened back then. Make the secondaries more effective, and let the bash & crash begin!

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles

The super-dreadnought HMS Canada has been added, the only battleship in the Grand Fleet in WW I with 14-inch guns.

5ae9ca34f05c4_FFCanada2.jpg.0a906422e5013f82fe0d9cf4be8f65a8.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
12 hours ago, TheHunter2_EAD said:

I like to see Re Umberto class Italian pre-dreadnoughts.

http://navypedia.org/ships/italy/it_bb_re_umberto.htm

Very distinctive mast and an attractive ship. I've added the Sardegna.

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 1

[OBS]
Members
1,269 posts
10,409 battles
On 5/19/2018 at 11:25 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

She's a looker isn't she.

I like looking at the people as well; sailors standing at rest in that old fashioned way, at least one woman in a large white dress.  Lots of stuff going on in that photo.

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles

5b0743d8f2ff9_FFHoche.jpg.957270d66dc694265a6427e1f98271f2.jpg

The French pre-dreadnought Hoche just added. This was a very unusual ship, even among pre-dreadnoughts:

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[_RNG_]
Members
777 posts
6,667 battles

I want to add my voice to the mix:

Wargaming - please add more of these to the game. All these pre-dreadnoughts look so cool and it'd be really fun if they added a new play style to the low tiers. Matchmaker could separate the New players and people playing the regular ships from people queing up with the pre-dreadnoughts to keep it balanced. With a little overlap of course just for variety.

They could introduce this as a whole project, a big event like the USN Cruiser split with a new Tier  1 and  Tier 2 of each nation. That'd be about 12 ships. (And maybe a new Tier 1 map thrown in) The USN cruiser split is 8 ships so not so different.

I already love this game because it's so many games in one (high tier Randoms, low tier Randoms, Co-op, Scenarios, Tier 1, Missions and Challenges, Space Battles, Ranked, Clan Battles, etc.) Adding Pre-Dreads would be awesome.

• Cool 3

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
On 5/25/2018 at 10:09 AM, Jester_of_War said:

I want to add my voice to the mix:

Wargaming - please add more of these to the game. All these pre-dreadnoughts look so cool and it'd be really fun if they added a new play style to the low tiers. Matchmaker could separate the New players and people playing the regular ships from people queing up with the pre-dreadnoughts to keep it balanced. With a little overlap of course just for variety.

They could introduce this as a whole project, a big event like the USN Cruiser split with a new Tier  1 and  Tier 2 of each nation. That'd be about 12 ships. (And maybe a new Tier 1 map thrown in) The USN cruiser split is 8 ships so not so different.

I already love this game because it's so many games in one (high tier Randoms, low tier Randoms, Co-op, Scenarios, Tier 1, Missions and Challenges, Space Battles, Ranked, Clan Battles, etc.) Adding Pre-Dreads would be awesome.

Well said +1

I'll add this: WG has an issue with new players leaving. Creating an interesting tier II pre-dread BB (+ armored cruisers) would spice things up for them and entice them to stay with simpler, more fun type of battles. On top of that there are many long-term players and collectors who would welcome these ships and playing them. Tier II no longer treated as the kiddie end of the pool.

That said, for those familiar with playing Mikasa, the combat dynamics have to be rethought allowing for a close-range bash  crash style of play (including ramming with those ram prows involving less damage for the rammer), better secondaries and main guns at short ranges, and "early torps with %defect fail to explode (or sink). Add bad weather now and then, fleet missions or campaigns like Tsushima, Battle of Coronel, Battle of the Falklands... it's a solid win for WoWs.

• Cool 2

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles
On 5/21/2018 at 6:06 PM, BullHalsey said:

I like looking at the people as well; sailors standing at rest in that old fashioned way, at least one woman in a large white dress.  Lots of stuff going on in that photo.

I'm the same. I have a massive two volume set of Civil War photographs, over 10,000 pics, and I always look for the hidden details.

Members
4,165 posts
9,415 battles

Some nice artwork of the Austro-Hungarian battleship SMS Szent István, sister ship of the Viribus Unitis. Both were some of the first BBs to have triple-gun turrets:

Istvan.thumb.jpg.8ab24470411256a0ad37fd7464381898.jpg

• Cool 1