You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

In Praise of Pre-dreadnoughts

Pre-dreadnought Inclusion  

349 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see pre-dreadnoughts included in the game in some manner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or 'It Depends"

234 comments in this topic

Members
650 posts
1,842 battles

If  you want more sophisticated play the higher tiers await you, but for some "bash & crash" these battleships are made to order for that kind of fun. And by made for it I mean many incorporated rams on their prows although the advent of torpedoes and mines pretty much put paid to a fleet rushing straight at the enemy with this in mind. On tier II with these ships with rams you could have them inflicting massive damage by ramming and getting off with relatively minor damage to themselves, as opposed to the instant dual detonations of both BBs on other tiers.

The ram bows were pretty much obsolete even by the pre-Dreadnought era, it's just nobody had realized it yet. Engagements in the ironclad era like Lissa fooled naval designers into holding on to the ram bow well past its expiration date.

Ironically the only steel battleship after the ironclad era which ever actually rammed an enemy was Dreadnought, which rammed and sank a surface U-Boat. 

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

The ram bows were pretty much obsolete even by the pre-Dreadnought era, it's just nobody had realized it yet. Engagements in the ironclad era like Lissa fooled naval designers into holding on to the ram bow well past its expiration date.

Ironically the only steel battleship after the ironclad era which ever actually rammed an enemy was Dreadnought, which rammed and sank a surface U-Boat. 

Yes, and as WoWs is not a naval simulator but is nonetheless 'reality-derived', ramming can come into it's own on tier II. Get those Hotel Yankee ramming flags on and head into battle with this in mind in the Borodino which also had one torpedo tube in the bow aiming straight ahead.
Edited by Stauffenberg44

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles

A couple more pre-dreads would be great for an exotic historical collections for collectors here.

You have my support.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles

A couple more pre-dreads would be great for an exotic historical collections for collectors here.

You have my support.

How it going Xero_Snake?

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

You have my support.

A collector's dream really. I want the Borodino as much as I wanted the Bis, Graf or Hood. Potemkin as well.

Members
1,515 posts
7,754 battles

A collector's dream really. I want the Borodino as much as I wanted the Bis, Graf or Hood. Potemkin as well.

WG needs to give us the Borodino, if they don't, it's a crime against gamers world wide.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

WG needs to give us the Borodino, if they don't, it's a crime against gamers world wide.

lol I have to agree. Perhaps not a crime but a real shame. Long live the Borodino.
  • Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,961 posts
27,039 battles

I think they look awesome - especially that Martel

The tumble home design is what ships of the line used I think - like the Victory.

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, Ghost_Raven75 said:

The idea seems very sound, however it would be a huge limiting factor to these only because the only place for them would be Tier 2 or maybe 3 but that's pushing it a little bit.  I agree that if we can have the Mikasa in T2 then we should have Battleships of other nations in T2 as well.

I like to see any Pre-dreadnoughts come into the game doesn't matter what tier. 

Beta Testers
844 posts
7,192 battles
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, Stauffenberg44 said:

lol I have to agree. Perhaps not a crime but a real shame. Long live the Borodino.

Everyone want that ship.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

Pictures and notes have been updated with the new forum layout.

Do vote if you haven't. Keep the issue of pre-dreadnoughts alive: long live the Borodino!

• Cool 1

[LOVE]
Members
82 posts
15,314 battles

I've always been fond of the USN Great White Fleet, but more in particular of the USS Oregon BB-3, whose story more or less reminds me of the child's story "The Giving Tree". I'd also love to see pre-dreadnoughts from the Austo-Hungarian empire, they were short lived but may their legacy live on.

• Cool 1

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
13 hours ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

I've always been fond of the USN Great White Fleet, but more in particular of the USS Oregon BB-3, whose story more or less reminds me of the child's story "The Giving Tree". I'd also love to see pre-dreadnoughts from the Austo-Hungarian empire, they were short lived but may their legacy live on.

Thanks for that! I did not know this ship's remarkable history and I've added her as the US entry on the list.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

Expanded notes and the A-H dreadnought Viribus Unitis, Goeben and the Italian Dante Alighieri have been added, along with the Russian pre-dreadnought Tsesarevich. As well, the early Chinese (later Japanese) pre-dreadnought Zhenyuan has also been added if only for interest's sake.

596393bed64b0_FFRussianBattleshipBde.jpg.3a583c0f7b8aba270d154b71da7e1ef5.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 1

[90THD]
Members
3,050 posts
2,482 battles

The only problem is after the Great Wall of Tier 1, Mikasa suffered. And any other Pre-DN battleship they would try to add wouldn't generate enough profit for them to justify developing them. After all, there was much....derision when Mikasa first came out.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
1 hour ago, Hurlbut said:

The only problem is after the Great Wall of Tier 1, Mikasa suffered. And any other Pre-DN battleship they would try to add wouldn't generate enough profit for them to justify developing them. After all, there was much....derision when Mikasa first came out.

The way the Mikasa's guns were modeled it's not surprising. As for profits what may have been true up to now can change under the rubric of 'attracting new players... and keeping them.' I'm out to see a few collectable gems developed and take it from there.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
1 hour ago, RobertViktor68 said:

BLUCHER!

That's an interesting thought. Technically Blücher was a heavy cruiser but the Germans were hiding behind that term what was a battlecruiser in size and speed, although she had small, fast-firing main guns. Definitely a unique ship and I may add her for interest's sake although not a pre-dreadnought battleship as such.

FF Blucher.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 1

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
On 2017-06-02 at 5:44 PM, Middcore said:

Yes I note both of these items in my notes. What I was really saying is that transposed into lower tier WoWs play it might be a viable tactic, just as I often ram my Bismarck into a tier IX or X BB which was beyond unlikely historically. With a ram prow far less damage suffered one assumes.