You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

In Praise of Pre-dreadnoughts

Pre-dreadnought Inclusion  

349 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see pre-dreadnoughts included in the game in some manner?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or 'It Depends"

234 comments in this topic

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
8 hours ago, Wolcott said:

Well I'm glad to see you're fine with historical ships with fake refits.

I'm not 'fine' with it, but neither is your crusade my own. This thread is about the history of pre-dreadnoughts and somehow getting them into the game. I have confidence that they will be as historical as they can make them, but that viable Tier II battles with pre-dreadnoughts will likely require some tweaking.

Beta Testers
10 posts
3,033 battles

I'd think carefully before you choose yes. First, there was no real fire control on the pre-ds, gunnery was a mishmash of different calibers and reloading times. I sure as hell would not want a bore-loader! You think your sigma is bad now? Ranges would be a lot closer, the Brits would be more likely to explode due to the use of Cordite, German ships would be slower due to the usage of coal unlike their British counterparts that saw value in using oil fired boilers. Nope. Not me. Dreadnaught, maybe, others, nope..nooooo.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

It would certainly be a close-in bash & crash and therein lies the charm of it all. This is tier II after all and the Mikasa has shown it can be fun and playable. Further refinements to tier II pre-dreadnought dynamics, a raft of new ships, and it would be a big draw for newbs as well as collectors like myself.

But to each their own.

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles

A nice little vid on French pre-dreadnoughts...

French Pre-Dreadnoughts - When Hotels go to War

[TARK]
Members
3,519 posts
1,516 battles
On 6/19/2019 at 7:39 PM, Halsey_Acting_Stupidly said:

I'd think carefully before you choose yes. First, there was no real fire control on the pre-ds, gunnery was a mishmash of different calibers and reloading times. I sure as hell would not want a bore-loader! You think your sigma is bad now? Ranges would be a lot closer, the Brits would be more likely to explode due to the use of Cordite, German ships would be slower due to the usage of coal unlike their British counterparts that saw value in using oil fired boilers. Nope. Not me. Dreadnaught, maybe, others, nope..nooooo.

Sounds great!

Way better than the current 'hide behind a rock with my ship' meta.

• Cool 1

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
On 7/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Sounds great!

Way better than the current 'hide behind a rock with my ship' meta.

Exactly. Halsey is thinking like a higher-tier BB player--who wants all these drawbacks? Well the answer is it is tier II, not tier IV-VII, and it's a new game... we are talking about close range main gun and secondary blasting, BB and DD torps, whacky and unreliable as they should be, and ramming... a different bash & crash game style for newbs and experienced players who just "want something different" after all the anal-conservative high-tier battles.

I say bring on the pre-dreads and let's have fun bashing and crashing!!

Note the Borodino, which has to be the next pre-dreadnought they bring on: she, can ram and torp with one torpedo tube in the bow to add insult to injury. Many were built to ram. What's not to like?

1201304317_Borodino3.jpg.e7fccf4ddd7c6fdbb11b893cb11809f5.jpg

Edited by Stauffenberg44

Members
4,149 posts
9,276 battles
On 10/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, puxflacet said:

Hello fellows. New dreadnought (and pre-dreadnought) game on the horizon. Take a peak...

https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/

Search on YouTube for a gameplay videos.

Oh I really like the look of this. A very unique approach. Thanks for that!

• Cool 1