Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kongo_Pride

How to Charles Martel (Tier VIII, French Heavy Cruiser)

54 comments in this topic

[DD214]
Members
765 posts
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, Shadowrigger1 said:

don't fall under any misconceptions with this ship,  It's not a bad one, but it's not a "good" one.  this ship is very much middle of the road, average,  when Top tier you can do okay, when bottom tier which happens a lot, you will be doing some pretty average work in her.  She doesn't excel at anything, and unless you are at full speed using the engine boost, she is VERY sluggish.  

She is not suited to Hunt DDs unless they happen to pop up as a surprise,  the Rate of fire is just a bit too slow, and the Shell arc's, though pretty good are still a touch floaty at distance to accurately deal with evading DDs.  

The HE shells do decent damage at equal tier but once you start finding yourself vs a whole Heck of a lot of T10 BBs you are going to see just how mediocre the damage can be.   Will you have times where you shine?  yep, more than not though you are just going to be middle of the road okay.  ( not a bad thing, but not an "oh boy I love this ship"

Overall, a ship you can survive, but just past 3/4 of the grind to the Saint Louis, you will be saying,  " God please just get this done !"  to me, a forgettable ship, not a keeper, but not a  ship to despise.

Have to respectfully disagree. This ship, like the Benson, Kiev, and Fiji are all Tier 8 keepers. My personal experience has been that returning to these T8 ships after getting to and using the Tier 10 ship in the line lets you really start to unlock their true potential. Any warship, just like a warplane  is simply a weapons platform. The mission, the terrain, and the mix of opposing forces are all variables that must be evaluated and dealt with properly, plus an element of luck.   

In this game (on the 6.10 test server)  the CM took out a Neptune, a Donoski, an Izumo, and a Bismarck. Only 3520 of the 150K damage was due to fires. Is she always the carry, no. No ship is. She is a solid boat, that like the Khab, takes some learning. I'll still working on it. 

5998212192ad0_cmartel150K4killstestserver.thumb.png.96cff780b25379690961e9e6cd14638a.png

Edited by Seamus_44

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,373 posts

Well I see August 19th was the last time anyone cared about the Charlie M eh? I'm curious if you guys are still loving it, hating it or meh about it? 

I'm considering her... got 80K+ free xp burning a hole in my pocket. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,029 posts
10,589 battles

CM is always a good boat. If you had taken the advantage of the previous Haloween event and got the perm camo (some one will hate the new camo) but it came with -10% to repair which is a nice bonus. If pp think of using her as training capt, then use +50% to XP and capt XP camo

[CUTER]
Members
765 posts
19,957 battles
On 11/16/2017 at 11:22 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

Well I see August 19th was the last time anyone cared about the Charlie M eh? I'm curious if you guys are still loving it, hating it or meh about it? 

As the emperor would say, do it!

[TOAST]
Members
910 posts
8,064 battles

I got the Martel before the perma camo event, played it a little... sold it. Rebought it again since I got the perma-camo unlocked. Didn't do great in it (stock cuz poor). I gave the play style in this "how to" guide a try. I managed to get something done. Didn't do a lot of damage but I came through when it mattered in the mid-late game. 

I stopped a DD from back-capping in a cyclone. Dislodged and killed  2 CL in cover stalling the push from the other side, killed another CL that got ahead of a BB's turret rotation. He in turn killed the BB that was about to turn and target me after taking care of the threat to him (killed the CL before he got torpedoes off)

I gave the late game "make a move" thing a try and it gave positive results. It was a bit messy but I'll take what I can get right now. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,029 posts
10,589 battles
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, Vekta408 said:

It was a bit messy but I'll take what I can get right now

she is tricky, need lots of practices and concentration ... get to know her and adapt, not making her adapt to you. Play it more and you will see what need to be seen

[CVA16]
Members
2,666 posts
10,286 battles

So far this ship has joined my list of Cursed ships. At one point (admittedly before I got the hull upgrade) my win rate was at 20%. Even when I had a decent game the team would lose. I would expect a higher win rate if I was AFK every match and let the team carry me. Had higher expectations and still hope to turn things around, but it is a bit of a deep hole. I know most others can make it work (based on ship stats), so I need to do better (and hope MM and RNG start being nice to me).

[WOLF9]
Members
3,433 posts

Just got mine today.  Any tips for playing it in pve and Ranked?   Totally different playstyles, and kiting really isn't helpful in either one.  (or even possible when fighting bots, lol)

I'm used to using New Orleans and Hipper for Ranked battles. (or Kutuzof)  Spamming AP at pretty much anything that moves- or is fool enough to give me a broadside to shoot at.

Part of the problem with French cruisers isn't the armor per se- it's the knockout button right underneath turret 2 and the forward superstructure.  Where the citadel is right up against the hull.  EVERY French CA has it... Why WG chose to do that is anyone's guess.

I know I tended to enjoy playing Algerie in Co-op or operations more than in Randoms.   That's just me, though.  I HATE the peekaboo/ hide at the edge of detectability range and snipe meta.   Algerie is definitely a keeper- now I just need to pull another good French captain out of my butt to put on Martel (or in Algerie)

[H_]
Members
309 posts
7,984 battles

I've been using the CM in Ranked, honestly not much to offer. I try to concentrate on getting rid of the DD's and other Cruisers while attempting to not give any of the BB's my broadside..  Not always successful there.

I try to support the initial DD rush and then back up and go for cover or where the other Cruisers are, spam HE at any BB that gives me a chance and change to AP at 10k for Cruisers..

Don't forget you have "decent" torps, which are fun to spam smoke with or  use tactically if you can.  I've hit a few BB's with them.

Good angles, decent range, HE mostly and AP in close.. 10sec reload is nice. Torps are good and with Speed boost the boat moves out good.

[-NCR-]
Beta Testers
9 posts
3,910 battles

Sadly, my win rate is abysmal in the Martel :cap_viking: but I dish out high damage. The fire potential this boat has is pretty epic. Churn and burn baby.

shot-18_01.04_21.57_01-0098.thumb.jpg.70ccb438fb54fd1c34f63d796d6553f8.jpg

[CVA16]
Members
2,666 posts
10,286 battles
On 1/4/2018 at 10:20 PM, DuckSoapLaserTowel said:

Sadly, my win rate is abysmal in the Martel :cap_viking: but I dish out high damage. The fire potential this boat has is pretty epic. Churn and burn baby.

20 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

sad, very sad

Mine too. Obviously somebody is winning with it based on Ship Stats, but I am doing my part to keep those WR numbers down.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
2,029 posts
10,589 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

but I am doing my part to keep those WR numbers down

i am more about having as many citadel hits as i can per battle, and dont care about the WR much. "Sad" as in only 8 citadel in the game ... i could have more; but that game, i am facing x2 Neptune and a dd who rotating their smoke, lucky they ignore me and sunk my Izumo first ...

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,373 posts
On 11/16/2017 at 11:22 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

Yes, necro of my own post!

I finally got around to getting the CM... so for so good...  all of seven matches in her... lots of fluctuation in my scoring as i sometimes forget she's fragile in her A hull configuration...

shot-18_05.18_16_02.03-0807.thumb.jpg.a670cf00db129dc9874e74df0e8a76b5.jpg

Sort of wish I'd gotten to her soon. I like her. 

[CUTER]
Members
765 posts
19,957 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 4:04 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

shot-18_05.18_16_02.03-0807.thumb.jpg.a670cf00db129dc9874e74df0e8a76b5.jpgSort of wish I'd gotten to her soon. I like her. 

Indeed.  Still take mine out for a spin occasionally!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,373 posts

Her guns are quite amazing, imo... I really do enjoy her.. in no hurry to climb the rest of the tiers. I mean, can French cruisers get any better than this? 

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,741 battles

the steering is permanently borked on this ship

I liked Algerie and I would like this if every shot didn't take out my steering.  I'm almost finished with it but if I was keeping it, I would put last stand on captain.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,618 posts
9,776 battles

I just got it and so far it feels like a faster version of Chapayev, but without the crazy good turret arcs.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,618 posts
9,776 battles

Ok...this bote really agrees with me so far.

In my first 10 games, 73% WR, 58k avg dmg. It's not fully upgraded, after starting stock. Being low tier means nothing, as the play style changes very little (can't be quite as aggressive).

This is a marvelous support ship that softens up the big targets and scares off the small ones. It's Mogami, but easier to play.

Let's see how the stats look after 100 battles.

Members
7 posts
1,399 battles

This is feeling like Emerald 2.0 for me. No matter what I do I die right away. It seems everyone in T8+ matches knows it's made of paper mache so as soon as I fire, I have 5 reds ked on to me. And what do I have to do to actually set a fire in this thing? I've landed 40+ hits (on superstructure) and get maybe one fire out of it. And no, they aren't already burning, unless it just isn't rendering for me.

I really just can't be effective in this thing at all 

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
765 posts
19,957 battles
On 11/11/2018 at 3:38 PM, Gokart_Mozar7 said:

On a hunch, I went and looked you up as a player.  Needless to say, I confirmed my suspicions.  You are newer to the game and it appears many of the fundamentals of winning just arent there yet.  You are right though, your overall performance in the Martel is below even your average.

My feelings howevee remain in that I could put you in just about any ship and I think the suffering would be similar. I would strongly recommend going to YouTube and looking up players such as Flamu and Notser (watching this ship in battle specifically).

Best of luck.

[M_S]
Members
53 posts
2,539 battles
On 8/19/2017 at 6:30 AM, Seamus_44 said:

Have to respectfully disagree. This ship, like the Benson, Kiev, and Fiji are all Tier 8 keepers. My personal experience has been that returning to these T8 ships after getting to and using the Tier 10 ship in the line lets you really start to unlock their true potential. Any warship, just like a warplane  is simply a weapons platform. The mission, the terrain, and the mix of opposing forces are all variables that must be evaluated and dealt with properly, plus an element of luck.   

Fiji is not Tier 8. But other than that, right. For example, one could use islands to cut detection and kite, or one could use it to sneak upon an enemy depending on what part of the game it is.

On 11/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, Gokart_Mozar7 said:

Hey, I'm not effective in that ship either, but I know one thing. I always get killed on the broadside in relatively close-quarters fighting. And also, grab a destroyer pal with you, because you need that in order to see where you are kiting against. The ship has highly effective HE and AP, so make use of both ;). 

The reason why it isn't Emerald 2.0, which would be maneuverable (similar to DDs) and stealthy, is because you are neither of those things. That sentiment comes in being broadside too much.

Speaking of the Emerald, which has a 6-gun broadside, I ask myself this most days: "Why is it so crappy when it has slightly less guns and only a bit less survivability and range than its successor?" 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,433 posts

Being broadside may cause Martel to eat citadels- but so will being bow-on, or even angled.   Martel get's utterly trashed by 15 and 16" BB's shooting at it- and that's essentially all it sees.   I think I just found the stinker in the line as far as pve goes- I'd much rather play ANY other nation's T8 CA than this one.

[_ARP_]
Members
91 posts
4,316 battles

I've been steadily playing CM, and while my average dmg is decent, my winrate is horrific. I feel as though (like Conqueror), something that relies on just HE spamming battleships and setting fires has very little influence on the teams ability to win. I do use AP quite often against other cruisers later in the game, but other than that I still haven't found a way to be REALLY influential in battle enough to help the team. 

TIPS PLEASE

Edited by SteelReign

Sign in to follow this