You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Tanman

Neptune Is a Joke

57 comments in this topic

Members
173 posts
10,372 battles
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, War_Dawn said:

Roon is ehh OK. I'm not happy with her much. Since you only have 1 turret in the front, and most of your firepower is in the back, you have to give a lot of your broadside or sail away from the enemy. I been grinding the Roon for a while now, and must say, I'm not that happy with her. Hipper was much better. The only good thing is that it has heal, but then again, every T9-T10 have heal.

But I hear the Hinder is a whole lot better at T10, with 12 guns, so its worth grinding the Roon for now.

You get used to Roon after a while, it just takes a bit, given the gun placement.  My friend HATED it for quite a while, but was cranking out 100k damage games with it routinely at the end.  Its AP can be pretty deadly.   I like it, but think DM Donksoi is still my fav t9 cruiser.  Like Neptune, it is glass sided...but with the benefit of much longer range, much bigger guns, and HE.  So, even though it turns like a barge, you can shoot from far enough away that it doesn't matter.

[WOLF9]
Members
348 posts
4,174 battles

Only a few games in her so far, but I do feel like the Neptune is a straight downgrade from Edin in almost every way.  Finally had a somewhat decent game tonight, but that was still a loss.  Took a citadel from a Yamato that literally hit the fantail of the ship.  Looked like it went through the railing on the stern, but it counted as a citadel hit.  Makes me wonder if there is an error in the hit box or something.  Not ready to give up yet, as I hear the Mino can be quite rewarding but I am definitely frustrated at the moment trying to make Neptune work.

Members
842 posts
5 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Only a few games in her so far, but I do feel like the Neptune is a straight downgrade from Edin in almost every way.  Finally had a somewhat decent game tonight, but that was still a loss.  Took a citadel from a Yamato that literally hit the fantail of the ship.  Looked like it went through the railing on the stern, but it counted as a citadel hit.  Makes me wonder if there is an error in the hit box or something.  Not ready to give up yet, as I hear the Mino can be quite rewarding but I am definitely frustrated at the moment trying to make Neptune work.

It is.  And it all boils down to the ridiculously huge detection range.

All the other T6+ RN CLs have the 2nd best concealment of their tier, after the IJN ones, and they're really close.

The Neptune?  It's about as visible as the KM CAs, which are by far the worst in the game.

For a ship that's HUGE and has effectively no armor (it get citadeled by DD AP regularly), the visibility is stupid.  It even effects things like the in-smoke detection, which is radically out-of-whack with the other RN CLs (all of which have about 5.2km, while the Neptune is more than 1km more).

The Neptune is a grind to the Minotaur, which fixes all the problems the Neptune had.  Keep your Edinburgh, and just grin-and-bear the Neptune until you can get the Mino, and then things will be good.

Members
319 posts
4,388 battles

1.  As previously said...open more distance.  

2. Learn to gun arcs, shell flight times and where on each ship you get "meaty" volleys on.

3. Do not for any reason sit broadside in smoke.  Always angle.

4.  Use smoke and cover, but don't crowd the cover.  Sit back off the island a bit it will make it harder for them to pinpoint you.

5. 6.6 detection while firing from smoke will get you killed.  Don't push in.

6. Know where radar ships are.  Stay 12-16km away from them lol.

7. Don't make yourself a priority target.  By that I mean don't be the first spotted.  Don't push the middle of the map.  Don't sit sideways.  When someone targets you, they are looking for big hits.  Make them second guess and they may decide to look for something easier.  BB's want citadels.

8.  Plan ahead at all times.  The Neptune is a fat pig with a massive citadel.  Getting caught unprepared gets you dev struck.  

Edit:  Mino is totally worth the pain of Neptune.  I absolutely love it.

Edited by LastSamurai714

[SIDE]
Members
1,403 posts
9,499 battles
On 5/29/2017 at 12:04 AM, Stauffenberg44 said:

I get all that but something has put me off about the entire RN CA line and I need to get over that. I never play Coop but I think I'll have at it tomorrow with the Neptune for 10 battles and see how it goes. Any last minute advice?

Not going to go over capt skills or modules etc. Pretty sure there are videos by flamu, notser, ichase going over all this info. As a brief synopsis, keep moving at all times unless in smoke. If in smoke, keep a close eye on that timer and have an exit planned, preferably around the back of an island. Keep in mind at all times, the reds will literally ignore other ships to focus on you. Look for any broadside targets in range including BB's. Aim for the superstructure of BB's, the citadels of broadside cruisers, and any DD within range. Your torps have good range, but never expose your sides to get off some torps; it's not worth it as those BB's will citadel you in a heartbeat.

Not much else to say, other than if you play cautiously, and survive to the end-game, you can have a serious impact on the game and also put out some high damage.

(Info posted from an older Neptune thread I posted in, but still relevant). The ship also has great torps and that AA is amazing also.

Members
3,629 posts
7,367 battles
2 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Not going to go over capt skills or modules etc. Pretty sure there are videos by flamu, notser, ichase going over all this info. As a brief synopsis, keep moving at all times unless in smoke. If in smoke, keep a close eye on that timer and have an exit planned, preferably around the back of an island. Keep in mind at all times, the reds will literally ignore other ships to focus on you. Look for any broadside targets in range including BB's. Aim for the superstructure of BB's, the citadels of broadside cruisers, and any DD within range. Your torps have good range, but never expose your sides to get off some torps; it's not worth it as those BB's will citadel you in a heartbeat.

Not much else to say, other than if you play cautiously, and survive to the end-game, you can have a serious impact on the game and also put out some high damage.

(Info posted from an older Neptune thread I posted in, but still relevant). The ship also has great torps and that AA is amazing also.

Wow almost a year later I had forgotten I posted that.

Good advice and I have seen Neptune played really well. It all comes down to temperament and how you finally mesh with an individual ship. I long ago moved my high captain pt captain to a Brit battlehship (Hood I think), but I will give her a second chance.

[78TH]
Members
29 posts
3,435 battles

I have to agree about the shortcomings of Neptune. I’ve enjoyed the RN lineup until now. My win rate is a paltry 11%. Statistically if I just logged onto a battle and then quit I would be doing better. So how is it the teams I’m on keep getting slaughtered?