You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Tanman

Neptune Is a Joke

57 comments in this topic

[BIER]
Members
30 posts
4,096 battles

I'm sure there are other topics about this ship but it is a joke.

This is my first time posting so that should tell you how much I hate this ship.

First, i am pretty sure it is made of twigs because every hit it takes is a crit. 

Also, with the new rules, when you fire, the detect box is so big that every can see you. And because they know a few hits will sink you, EVERYONE fires at you.

I wish I did not spend my grinds dabloons for this ship. Should have spent them on a new IJN DD.

Rant over.

[SYN]
Members
14,849 posts
11,307 battles

are you not using the smoke?

• Cool 1

[PLPT]
Members
4,428 posts
6,181 battles

So...don't get shot at? It's a cruiser with smoke. Use the smoke. Fire from behind islands. It's not rocket surgery.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
653 posts
13,785 battles

Neptune is a great ship Use smoke and use hydro effectively open more distance since higher tier makes citadelling UK cruisers easy. Be agile and stick near islands don't be out in the open. 

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,998 posts

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

Neptune is a gorgeous planet!

• Cool 6

[SYN]
Members
14,849 posts
11,307 battles

oh, and I hate to break it to you, but the only IJN DDs that are decent in the current game meta are the 39 knot ones.

[BIER]
Members
30 posts
4,096 battles

No, sorry....

This ship should not have to rely on smoke to survive. Based on yalls posts, you agree that if you dont use smoke than you are sunk. 

Yes, i sail into range, pop smoke and fire... But after smoke, or god forbid rader, you are toast. 

It is a dumb ship. I only hope that if/when I upgrade the minotaur can redeem the British line 

[PLPT]
Members
4,428 posts
6,181 battles

No, sorry....

This ship should not have to rely on smoke to survive. Based on yalls posts, you agree that if you dont use smoke than you are sunk. 

Yes, i sail into range, pop smoke and fire... But after smoke, or god forbid rader, you are toast. 

It is a dumb ship. I only hope that if/when I upgrade the minotaur can redeem the British line 

If your smoke runs out...stop shooting. They're soft because they can literally disappear at will. Use the tools you have. The Neptune takes a lot of skill to use well, as does the entire British line. If you hadn't skipped ships, you would know that.

EDIT: You haven't skipped ships. The fact that you don't understand that the smoke consumable is how you survive is baffling to me. Also the ridiculous heal that can repair like 50% of your health at once. 

Edited by SergeantHop

Members
170 posts
3,330 battles

oh, and I hate to break it to you, but the only IJN DDs that are decent in the current game meta are the 39 knot ones.

This is false as Minekaze goes that speed.

[PLPT]
Members
4,428 posts
6,181 battles

This is false as Minekaze goes that speed.

And Minekaze does fine. Best performing tier 5 tech tree destroyer. Previously a borderline OP tier 5 tech tree destroyer. 

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
409 posts
6,249 battles

No, sorry....

Sorry old boy but it has to rely on smoke to survive. It has to rely on sitting in smoke and spamming AP at targets in range. It has to rely on other ships spotting for it. The idea is that you're supposed to put yourself in an advantageous position where you can deal as much damage as possible when in smoke. Then slip away before the smoke goes and reposition yourself for the next smoke screen. That's how you play RNCLs in general. You cannot use them at range as their shell velocity is pitiful, but the rounds do decent penetration to vulnerable ships and the ROF is excellent. 

If you think that the Minotaur is going to be better then you're in for a nasty shock as it has the same armour as Neptune, even though it does benefit from improved ROF and concealment. 

Members
19 posts
877 battles

No, sorry....

If you are expecting the Minotaur to play significantly different I think you will be disappointed.

Members
3,629 posts
7,367 battles

You pick a spot like a scalper selling Nickleback tickets, squat in your smoke, torp and fire at enemies who can't fire back.

Really dislike this one-trick pony--to play or seeing one on the red team. They do blow up good though:

"He blowed up -- blowed up real good."  -  Billy Sol Hurok

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,676 posts

Edinburgh is probably more your style. There really is nothing, anywhere, that requires you to get the Minotaur. If fact, based on your Neptune comments, you may want to stop the grind now. It reads as though you are heading for a rage quit. 

[90THD]
Supertester
1,194 posts
6,583 battles

I haven't had any issues with it, in fact it is by far my favorite cruiser.  You just need to learn how to play it that's all.  She's fast, she turns on a dime, and she hits hard.  My worst game in it has only been 43k and my usual game runs around 90k-130k easily.  Give it time, you may grow to love it.

[HELLS]
Members
1,860 posts
18,039 battles

The true secret weapons of Neptune are smoke, a high rate of fire, and decent range torpedoes. If the ship is configured with cammo and a 10-point captain with Concealment Expert skill, she does wonders in game when scooting from cover to cover and using terrain and smoke. Nothing wrong with her at all IMHO. If you team up with another RN CL with smoke you have a huge advantage. To get to Minotaur you have to grind her anyway, as conversion costs to free up XP from other ships is prohibitive at Tier X. I've had her for a while and am well aware that I have a 100-game grind ahead of me to get the Minotaur at Tier X.

Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

You guys are also forgetting her toxic AA, I rarely go near Neptunes in my CV at T8/9

[90THD]
Supertester
1,194 posts
6,583 battles

He's only done 18 battles in the Neptune, hardly enough to determine whether it's good or bad, especially considering he's probably still running Stock.

[BIER]
Members
30 posts
4,096 battles

The Eddy can take a hit. Even the Fiji can take a few shells and survive. But the advancement to the Neptune make me think that cardboard was the only material the had to build ships with. It was most likely designed by the same people that designed the Titanic.

Straight up, the Neptune was a step back from the Eddy.  Or at least it requires you to completely change how you play it as compared to all the other British cruiser leading up to it. I was enjoying the British tech tree grind and notwI feel it was a waste of time.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,294 posts
15,784 battles

No, sorry....

In the name of Admiral Nelson I really hope you're not sailing out in the open water shooting at ships with Neptune.

PLEASE TELL ME YOU AREN'T DOING SOMETHING AS STUPID AS THAT.

All the prior RN CLs rely on the same smoke tactics.  How the hell did you get to Tier IX and not get an idea of how to do that?  Even Belfast has to do the same things.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PLPT]
Members
4,428 posts
6,181 battles

The Eddy can take a hit. Even the Fiji can take a few shells and survive. But the advancement to the Neptune make me think that cardboard was the only material the had to build ships with. It was most likely designed by the same people that designed the Titanic.

Straight up, the Neptune was a step back from the Eddy.  Or at least it requires you to completely change how you play it as compared to all the other British cruiser leading up to it. I was enjoying the British tech tree grind and notwI feel it was a waste of time.

Hah! I've gotten devastating strikes against Edinburgh in my Atlanta with just guns. None of those ships are particularly tanky. What they do have, though, is a ridiculous heal, excellent concealment and trollsmoke. If you can't make that work, well, it's not the ships fault.

[SYN]
Members
14,849 posts
11,307 battles

No, sorry....

How did you even make it up to Neptune, a T9, without learning anything about how to place yourself in RNCL?

[RKN]
Banned
9,382 posts
12,285 battles

How did you even make it up to Neptune, a T9, without learning anything about how to place yourself in RNCL?

I think he's the same idiot I saw moaning about how 0.6.3 means he can't OWSF with GFCS2 on his Neptune.

Members
3,629 posts
7,367 battles

The true secret weapons of Neptune are smoke, a high rate of fire, and decent range torpedoes. If the ship is configured with cammo and a 10-point captain with Concealment Expert skill, she does wonders in game when scooting from cover to cover and using terrain and smoke. Nothing wrong with her at all IMHO. If you team up with another RN CL with smoke you have a huge advantage. To get to Minotaur you have to grind her anyway, as conversion costs to free up XP from other ships is prohibitive at Tier X. I've had her for a while and am well aware that I have a 100-game grind ahead of me to get the Minotaur at Tier X.

I get all that but something has put me off about the entire RN CA line and I need to get over that. I never play Coop but I think I'll have at it tomorrow with the Neptune for 10 battles and see how it goes. Any last minute advice?