You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Six_Four

Supremacy League Streaming

22 comments in this topic

812 posts
7,518 battles

hi all. This was my first season in SL and it was a great experience overall. One thing I didn't understand was the lack of interest from our more popular NA twitch streamers. Flamu had over 2000 people watching KOTS finals this weekend on EU, but the major NA streamers were MIA during our SL finals !!!!!???

Anyway, i would say there is a void here ready to be filled by a motivated individual. If anyone has been considering twitch streaming NA could use some competitive play exposure.

[-K-] Spyde 1,267
4,294 posts
7,559 battles

Most players don't even know what SL is.. or that it even exists.

[HINON] RipNuN2 2,148
6,381 posts

Most players don't even know what SL is.. or that it even exists.

r41t9eQ.gif

awiggin 2,106
8,167 posts

hi all. This was my first season in SL and it was a great experience overall. One thing I didn't understand was the lack of interest from our more popular NA twitch streamers. Flamu had over 2000 people watching KOTS finals this weekend on EU, but the major NA streamers were MIA during our SL finals !!!!!???

Anyway, i would say there is a void here ready to be filled by a motivated individual. If anyone has been considering twitch streaming NA could use some competitive play exposure.

Why do people keep thinking that this is a competitive game? Or that most players care about such competition?

No one watches because it's not that type of game, I'll watch my replays occasionally, but watching others play?

May as well be watching golf.....or paint dry. :teethhappy:

This game can be fun to play at times, but it's simply too slow moving to bring people to watch it....

[-K-] mmfullen 110
658 posts
5,933 battles

Why do people keep thinking that this is a competitive game? Or that most players care about such competition?

No one watches because it's not that type of game, I'll watch my replays occasionally, but watching others play?

This game can be fun to play at times, but it's simply too slow moving to bring people to watch it....

Speak for yourself....

I enjoyed watching KOTS Tournament on Flamu's stream. There were some nail biters that made it exciting. Hopefully SL gets more popular as more clans participate.

• Cool 1

awiggin 2,106
8,167 posts

Speak for yourself....

I enjoyed watching KOTS Tournament on Flamu's stream. There were some nail biters that made it exciting. Hopefully SL gets more popular as more clans participate.

Good for you, but the fact is, most players have no interest in it, and the numbers bear that out....

[B2P] Xenomancers 418
2,291 posts
5,566 battles

Good for you, but the fact is, most players have no interest in it, and the numbers bear that out....

Nah it's not a matter of interest. It's a matter of most people expect features like this to be built into the game and not have to mod a game to play it.

[CUTER] Shigure_DD 245
In AlfaTesters
1,235 posts
7,799 battles

Every season SL gets bigger this season it double in size. 

812 posts
7,518 battles

playing on an dedicated coordinated team against another such team is a superior experience in nearly every possible way. It is the end game, where you go if you enjoy strategy and competent gameplay. Remove all the frustration of randoms (terrible teammates, no team work, selfish play, team killling, etc), then add in camaraderie, structure, and purpose and you have supremacy League. 

There were literally thousands of people watching KOTS last weekend, so clearly there is interest.

• Cool 1

[-FBS-] Junostorm 45
416 posts
2,589 battles

Some of the regular matches were streamed and the playoffs were streamed as well.

[APOC-] DasBootcamp 639
1,963 posts
5,329 battles

Most of the larger streamers were contacted and had participated in past seasons. But getting ahold of them and getting them to work around any schedule other than their own is just flat out difficult. We are currently trying to grow our own in-house streamers and have seen some success with it. Hopefully future events will help the smaller streams, such as mine, grow even further.

[PSV] Dorryza 26
62 posts
6,536 battles

Part of the problem is that if you have a skilled streamer who's not only knowledgeable enough to understand the intricacies of team strategy, has that time slot open, and is also actually interested in SL as a whole, chances are they're already playing in it.

735 posts
4,919 battles

SL is a good thing, and hard work by the folks that put it on and the teams that participate. 

Many that reach a decent skill level find random games... simply not fun... people that have no concept of teamwork make it impossible to great games.

SL players, for the most part, tend to be extremely dedicated to the game and to their teams. They might spend several nights a week practicing with their teams, and you can bet your assignations that they can mop the floor with a large %'age of the server populous. My own clan has had teams in the past, but we are not dedicated enough to put the time and energy into it that it takes to win, and that is considerable.  Recently, some of our clan membership that had never played in SL, and thought they were talented, played the Summer Slaughter tournament. They came away thinking trying to get to Rank One was easier.

So then, why is SL not seen as providing "entertainment"?  My take is that most players have no clue of the tactics and strategies that can and are used in team play. Most random battles are a mish mash of people that seem to have zero concept of team play and the role their ships play.   A moderately talented player can do very well in this environment, and might even come away thinking they are a good player, maybe even well above average. If they can't understand the team play aspect, they will not be able to appreciate SL. Chess can be horrifically boring to watch to the uninitiated, but to those with deep knowledge of the game, it can be positively riveting.

SL could stand some more support from WG.

735 posts
4,919 battles
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, DasBootcamp said:

Most of the larger streamers were contacted and had participated in past seasons. But getting ahold of them and getting them to work around any schedule other than their own is just flat out difficult. We are currently trying to grow our own in-house streamers and have seen some success with it. Hopefully future events will help the smaller streams, such as mine, grow even further.

It should be noted that while many have the horse Power to run the game. On many systems, to play and stream at the same time is a heavy load on a computer and the bandwidth, and who is going to be interested enough to be involved and be the one to NOT play because of the streaming?

[-I-] KamiSamurai 208
1,091 posts
11,320 battles

I believe there will be some streamers that are going to stream this season! 

[APOC] Vas79 104
615 posts
10,132 battles

Send them my way then Kami, always looking for ways to expand the exposure we get.

[-K-] SeaRaptor00 509
1,878 posts
7,690 battles

I am planning to shift from playing to streaming matches this season.

[MIA-C] Quadrilus 5
10 posts
3,857 battles

My idea to improve our visibility is to put together a sports-style highlight/recap reel every week, so that people who can't sit through three hours of streams can still catch all the best moments competitive has to offer. The more streamers we have the easier it will be to collect footage, but I can collect replays if it comes to that. In either case we should be able to expect greater exposure from the forums and reddit. 

[APOC] Vas79 104
615 posts
10,132 battles

We're also thinking about 10 to 15 min podcast review of the week.

[D12] Nachoo31 321
In AlfaTesters
2,893 posts
7,927 battles

guess you never saw us play lol.

[SF-E] Tembin 52
507 posts
4,956 battles

Wish I could participate this season.  I played last season and had a blast, but I'm currently traveling for work related reasons and won't be home for a few months.  Hopefully I'll see you guys next season though!

• Cool 1