You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tenkafuhime

What's wrong to Montana?

123 comments in this topic

Tenkafuhime    0

Just Update the PT client to 0.6.6 and found Montana's Deck was just cut down to 29 mm ?

1.png

You know even 8 inch guns' HE shell could easily penetrate a 29 mm deck and it could be compulsory penetrate by Yamato's 460 mm and G.K's 420 mm guns.

That makes the ship totally a piece of crap.

If that is a balance of reduce the height of the critical.I beg you don't make the change at all.

Besides,According both books by Norman Friedman and William Garzke & Robert Dulin the design of battleship Montana will have a bomb deck of 60# + 30# which is stand for 38 mm + 19 mm.

2.png3.png4.png 

As we all know that the thickness of the STS on US warships was usually multiple of 10#.A 29 mm deck means some like 46#.And that doesn't make sense.

Anther problem is that.Both of these books thought that the main armor belt of Montana at amidships will be sloped at 19° just like it was on Iowa or South Dakota.

But reading the model files of WOWS.the Armor slop was reduced to 13° to 16°.5.png6.png And if that is a mistake.I wish you guys would fix it some days.

Big_Spud    2,284

I wonder if thats how they plan to "balance" them lowering the citadel, make the thing take 8k HE salvos from cruisers forever and have its deck lolpenned by every other Tier 9-10 battleship, just like "the good old days".

Oh this is going to be SWELL.

• Cool 2

m373x    1,034

Well, people wanted lower citadel. It comes at a hefty price.

• Cool 2

SgtSullyC3    227

K... Please tell me they didn't need the Iowa's armor even more, that thing already eats tons of damage from cruiser HE...

Cruxdei    216

well gentleman,you asked for lower citadel,here it is.

• Cool 2

Well, people wanted lower citadel. It comes at a hefty price.

Then where is GK's paper thin deck? 
  • Cool 3

BossmanSlim    319

I wonder what the excuse will be:

• It's always been like that, we're updating the model to representative
  • It's for balance
  • We have another, superior Russian source that says it was 29mm of deck armor
  • It's just a test, we'll make it right before release, don't worry
  • Data in OP is old/fake/not correct.
  • Cool 3

1nv4d3rZ1m    3,420

Reddit should be happy about this, they were crying about how OP the Montana and Iowa would be with lowered citadels when it was announced. 

• Cool 3

Xenomancers    417

Why they gotta touch my Montana man? I don't even need lower citadel - I never show my girls sides like that. Improper.

• Cool 2

Izolyn    229

Reddit should be happy about this, they were crying about how OP the Montana and Iowa would be with lowered citadels when it was announced. 

Hey, don't you know that Yamato deserves a buff if Iowa and Montana get lowered citadels?  Edited by Izolyn
  • Cool 1

Business6    318

Ugh.  I don't care for the citadel being lowered at all for the Montana because I don't think it's anywhere near as big an issue with that as with the Iowa but any reduction to deck armor is going to be pretty brutal.  

Air_0374    5

You guys realize that 19mm deck was always there at the waterline in the high citadel version. All they are doing is lowering the citadel box to that deck. The 150mm deck is still in the middle of the ship. This is the same thing that happened to the Alabama.

Edit: I didn't even realize the weather deck was reduced, pitchfork out. What is it with WG and messing up the US battleships...

Edited by Air_0374

chs4000    40

The worst performing T10 BB on all four servers can't be buffed without being nerfed at the same time. It hurts skilled players, but helps the completely brain-dead live one minute longer.

I hate to be thinking it: #RussianBias?

Edited by chs4000

TenguBlade    2,581

Not seeing the big deal here.  They migrated over 25% of section HP out of the external parts and citadel of the ship into the midsection as part of this rework, so making the midsection easier to damage seems to be a fair trade considering cruisers can no longer farm damage off the bow, stern, and superstructure.  It's not like Yamato can suddenly lolcit the Montana through the deck at long range: the armored decks will still exist and bounce the shots anyways.

I wonder if thats how they plan to "balance" them lowering the citadel, make the thing take 8k HE salvos from cruisers forever and have its deck lolpenned by every other Tier 9-10 battleship, just like "the good old days".

Oh this is going to be SWELL.

Only 420mm Friedrich Der Grosse and Grosser Kurfuerst will be able to overmatch it (though in all honesty, they shouldn't deserve to).  406mm guns overmatch 28.4mm of armor, and 410mm guns overmatch 28.7.

And it's not like Montana doesn't already perpetually take 8-10k in HE damage, especially with IFHE being a thing.  The superstructure, bow, and stern basically don't ever saturate as it is.

Edited by TenguBlade

Air_0374    5

Yeah how dare the Montana think about bouncing shells off its weather deck like every other battleship, silly Montana.

Hell, the Iowa's is still 38mm...

Edited by Air_0374

chs4000    40

In my Moskva, Hindenburg, Zao, or (soon enough) Des Moines, if I see a Montana now, he'll be my primary target. Fun times for Montana drivers.

Doomlock    2,174

I don't have them, so I can't comment. :unsure:

Big_Spud    2,284

Not seeing the big deal here.  They migrated over 25% of section HP out of the external parts and citadel of the ship into the midsection as part of this rework, so making the midsection easier to damage seems to be a fair trade considering cruisers can no longer farm damage off the bow, stern, and superstructure.  It's not like Yamato can suddenly lolcit the Montana through the deck at long range: the armored decks will still exist and bounce the shots anyways.

Disregard, I suck [edited] and forgot WG doesn't round AP overmatch.

This still means any 420 mm + gun will eat through the deck and generate 33% pens.

lmbo.

TenguBlade    2,581

Because 29mm means that any 406 mm + gun in the game can now overmatch the deck at any angle and generate 33% pen damage regardless of where it hits. Its the only battleship beyond tier 7 to have that vulnerability. It also means that 8" HE shells will full pen it without needing IFHE.

Yamato doesn't even need to lolcit you through your bow anymore, it can just aim anywhere on you at any angle and generate 10k damage. Same goes for a 420 or 406 GK, or even another Montana. Or an Izumo/Iowa/GK/NC/Alabama/Amagi.

lmbo.

Read my edit.  29mm deck can't be overmatched by anything except 420mm FDG/GK.  410mm guns overmatch 28.7mm of armor, 406mm guns overmatch 28.4.  WG doesn't round up or down for those numbers like they do with HE penetration, they leave them at decimal value.  Regardless, dealing with other battleships, especially up close, is going to be much more forgiving than it is now, and that's really all the Montana needed: a lower risk/reward ratio to encourage people to stop sniping.  Sure, there's more vulnerability at longer range, but I'm fine with taking 10k through the deck if I'm broadsiding someone.  It's not like the superstructure can't be shot for 10k+ damage anyhow, and it's much easier to hit than the deck.

You also act like 17k+ damage and 3 fires isn't already what a Zao does to any battleship.  I couldn't care less about how much HE damage the Montana will take after this update, she already takes a metric [edited]ton of it.  The bow, stern, and superstructure basically never saturate and generate the same amount of damage you're talking about anyways.  I'd rather take 8000 HE damage to my sides than be angled and have the same cruiser just mindlessly spam HE and net 8k damage from the bow section if I had to suffer one for all eternity.

Historical or not, if we're going to buff the Montana's deck armor to 60mm, we should do something about the Izumo's too.  She has 32mm plating all over the entire damn ship, but nobody complains about eating 20000+ damage from a Zao in two salvos with a worse DCP on hand to deal with the accompanying fires and substantially-worse concealment.

Edited by TenguBlade

Naviss    82

Darn I had got the premium camo for this ship too last week. Bleh. I was expecting good things not more horrible things to happen.