Mahrs

How do you play Bismarck?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

41 posts in this topic

Allow me to highlight the problem: I am TERRIBLE.  

Yes, that's the long and short of it.  You all were able to help me out a LOT with Tashkent, I am hoping you might do me a solid for Bismarck as well.  I read Pope's review - "drive it like you stole it" says he...and he's a good player, so maybe that works at his skill level.  Here are my problems, in no particular order:

1. I cannot do damage worthy of a BB - in fact, I do comparable damage in Fuso... if Tier 8 != Tier 6 returns False = BB Captain is crap...or something

2. I cannot stay alive...at all...I eat damage from everything like a champ - torps, AP, HE, fires...so much damage...from everywhere....ahhhhh

End Result: I die quickly, having done very little damage, pretty much every match.  Bismarck is one of my absolute worst ships...like New York with less than 100 games played, no idea what I'm doing because WoWS is still new to me bad.

Sadly, super limited bandwidth, so no replay to upload at present...working on it.  I guess my questions would be:

1. What sort of positions should I be looking for?

2. How do I know when it's time to go "all in?"

Title edited by Mezurashi.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There's no cure for being terrible. 

Edited by Sventex

Same as any BB, just more so.

First, snipe a bit and follow the flow of the match. Then push up. Try to keep Bismarck in the center or near critical action and look for places you can put that beautiful 10.6 km manual secondaries to work -- damage will pile up fast that way, and even if you die, you'll get 100K damage and 2 kills, plus wreck a push by the Red team. 

Fire HE at extreme range, you'll always do damage that way, and if you get a fire they will usually repair right away, making them vulnerable to teammates and CV fires. Tell your CV you just did that so he knows which BBs to hit. 

Div with me, my Bismarck stats are respectable and I know how to play that ship...

If you crazy like me when I'm in ma German BBs... I follow the DDs (or cruisers if no DDs) who are heading towards cap. I follow about 5km behind because I don't want to walk on their concealment values. 

Twenty km shots are sort of a crap shoot... so I strive to fire closer to 15-18 km with main batteries. Be sure to build her with the manual secondaries build you'll find all over the forum. Angle, aim and as they say, keep those guns blazing (singing). She plays like other BB but more so... more like you really think a BB ought to play. 

Your goal is to sink ships - kill them outright but do not get target fixation - and to be around for the end game. She's really potent in end-game work. 

Don't over extend - and All the best!

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Did you win it or did you work through the tech tree and now have it? Either way, how can you still be terrible if you put this much time into it?

First thing...watch some videos on what are the ideal upgrades you should install on it.

Second.....Always go bow in and keep angled. You show broadside are you are easy pickings with this size ship.

3rd....go to shipcomrade.com and look at what are some ideal captain skills to have. How many point captain do you have? If I was you, I would work on a captain that enhances secondaries. The secondaries on Bismark and Tirpitz will shred ships.

4 th...maybe you need to practice more in the Co-op Bot games?

5 th....play in a division with someone you know.

6 th...don't tell yourself you suck, because you wont get any better telling yourself that. Have fun with the game. I know its frustrating and I'm one of those that get pissed and start screaming at my team, but try to keep calm.

7 th...change your avatar....you look like a serial killer. ;) lol

Edited by MagicMikeV

From what I've seen in game is say 20+KM away from the fight is a poor choice. Nothing pains me like a way far away KM BB.

Yes, that's the long and short of it.  You all were able to help me out a LOT with Tashkent, I am hoping you might do me a solid for Bismarck as well.  I read Pope's review - "drive it like you stole it" says he...and he's a good player, so maybe that works at his skill level.  Here are my problems, in no particular order:

1. I cannot do damage worthy of a BB - in fact, I do comparable damage in Fuso... if Tier 8 != Tier 6 returns False = BB Captain is crap...or something

2. I cannot stay alive...at all...I eat damage from everything like a champ - torps, AP, HE, fires...so much damage...from everywhere....ahhhhh

End Result: I die quickly, having done very little damage, pretty much every match.  Bismarck is one of my absolute worst ships...like New York with less than 100 games played, no idea what I'm doing because WoWS is still new to me bad.

Sadly, super limited bandwidth, so no replay to upload at present...working on it.  I guess my questions would be:

I'm still a relatively new player but I went up the German BB line after being disappointed with my Mutsu purchase a few months ago when I started. I have a GK and played the Bismarck extensively (I have the premium camo) along with Scharnhorst and Tirpitz. The T9 FDG and T7 Gneis I hated and sold after grinding with them, but for the Bismarck build secondaries, stay ~15-10 km if you can. No German BB is good at sniping your shells will shatter and bounce from range on basically everything. With a full secondaries captain built with the secondary mods on the boat you will hit 10.6 KM range with them with flags. Use your hydro to [edited]over DD in smoke. IMO, *ALWAYS* RUDDER SHIFT, you will need to dodge torps German's can't soak torp hits for crap. German BB are brawlers if you stay at range like all the cowards behind the rocks you will continue to suck. Also use your AP nearly always. CE is a waste of time on a giant BB, target acquisition will help you roll that smoke ... The text editor here sucks and won't let me link their wiki properly (because it keeps trying to do sunglasses emoji) there are youtube videos about it too. Edited by w4spl3g

I am soon to be owner of a Bismarck without ever researching a single battleship in this game. Pray you are on the enemy team :teethhappy:

I am soon to be owner of a Bismarck without ever researching a single battleship in this game. Pray you are on the enemy team :teethhappy:

You're a fabulous player. I am sure you will rock the Bismarck. 

You're a fabulous player. I am sure you will rock the Bismarck. 

:honoring: Thanks, I will try my best.

Bismarck is quite simple:

If you see me in my Amagi on the enemy team make sure to show me your flat side, your armor is too thick for me to penetrate and you can use all of your Secondaries.

Bismarck is quite simple:

If you see me in my Amagi on the enemy team make sure to show me your flat side, your armor is too thick for me to penetrate and you can use all of your Secondaries.

Immune to citadels while shredding everything around me. I like that.

Here's the build I'm running for my favorite ship:

Modules

Main Armaments Modification 1

Secondary Battery Modification 2

Damage Control System Modification 1

Damage Control System Modification 2

Concealment System Modification 1

Captain Skills (16 out of 19 points)

Preventative Maintenance

Expert Marksman

Basics of Survivability

Superintendent

Advanced Firing Training

I really enjoy playing Bismarck, but I'll admit I'm a bit biased towards her.  She's plenty tough if you minimize your broadside and stay away from getting focused with HE spam.  You're highly unlikely to get citadeled with her, but you will get some overpen damage.  She isn't a sniper, even if you select Aiming Systems Modification 1 instead of SBM2.  You can score the 20km hits, but most of your damage will be under 17km - closer is better for this ship.  Also, you have a 1-in-3 chance of starting fires with your HE, so don't be afraid to use it!  With Superintendent, you get 3 hydro searches per match, so make sure you use them!  The trick to avoiding torpedoes is to assume they're coming, and to avoid sailing a predictable course.  You see a destroyer disappear in a cloud of smoke less than 10km from you?  Assume he launched torps, so find some cover or turn your bow directly towards the cloud to minimize the number of hits.  Chasing after a destroyer that you can't see?  Don't sail in a straight line - add some gentle turns to your course every 15 seconds or so.

I found I was getting HE spammed a lot, so I opted for a build that reduced/mitigated fire damage.  Without ASM1, my secondaries are still hitting at 10.1km.  I don't use the flag to extend that range unless I'm playing ranked battles.  I did try using ASM1 for a time, but didn't see much improvement in the main battery accuracy.  You can swap out DCSM2 for Steering Gears Modification 2 if you prefer a more agile battleship.  If torps are still a problem for you, you can also try Target Acquisition System Modification 1 instead of CSM1.

My next captain skill will be Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament.  That, combined with Advanced Firing Training, will make your secondaries absolutely lethal.  You could try swapping out BOS for Basic Firing Training to get even more secondary goodness.  Personally, I like my battleships to be tanks - soak up a few good beatings while your teammates pound away with impunity.  That's why I went with skills like BOS and Superintendent - to stay in the match longer and try to make a difference in the late game.  

There's no cure for being terrible. 

I'm sure the OP will find this statement to be very helpful to him. He's trying to improve as a player and gets this... :sceptic:

It might be, but its not immune to having large health shredded off in a single salvo.  I think the most I took off was about 25k, in a Dunkerque.

First off GET THE FOLLOWING SKILLS. Basic Fire Traning, Advanced Fire Training, Manual Secondaries. Next get the Module that extends Secondary range by 20%. Third, equip the flag that extends secondary range. Now enjoy the 10.6km secondary range.

Get in as close as you can without over extending and POUND PEOPLE UNDER. You seriously want to try and hit people with your sword.  Bismarck(and tirpitz if you have her) are the ultimate in your face, smash them with your axe brawlers.

Do not attempt to fight from over 15km, that's your max limit you need to be at, otherwise your guns are not going to behave well. Sure you can take pot shots as you close in, but do not try to snipe, it will not work.

DDs should be terrorfied of you once you lock on manual secondaries.

uMvWp14.jpgSomething of an old battle but notice something? Look how many secondary hits I have, and look at my damage.   IIRC on that battle, I had like almost 40,000 damage out of my secondaries alone.  This is what Bismarck can do once you go full balls to the walls secondary and you get up close and personal.

How to Bismarck? Tis ez.

First you start playing Masaaki Endoh's "Clear Mind," then you search for a smoke filled with DDs and go bow first. Now let go of your mouse, turn your hydro on and let your secondaries work while ocasionally pressing the WASD keys.

Not sure if it will give you great stats but you can be sure it will be very helpful for your team (as long as there's one present).

Here's the build I'm running for my favorite ship:

Modules

Main Armaments Modification 1

Secondary Battery Modification 2

Damage Control System Modification 1

Damage Control System Modification 2

Concealment System Modification 1

Captain Skills (16 out of 19 points)

Preventative Maintenance

Expert Marksman

Basics of Survivability

Superintendent

Advanced Firing Training

I really enjoy playing Bismarck, but I'll admit I'm a bit biased towards her.  She's plenty tough if you minimize your broadside and stay away from getting focused with HE spam.  You're highly unlikely to get citadeled with her, but you will get some overpen damage.  She isn't a sniper, even if you select Aiming Systems Modification 1 instead of SBM2.  You can score the 20km hits, but most of your damage will be under 17km - closer is better for this ship.  Also, you have a 1-in-3 chance of starting fires with your HE, so don't be afraid to use it!  With Superintendent, you get 3 hydro searches per match, so make sure you use them!  The trick to avoiding torpedoes is to assume they're coming, and to avoid sailing a predictable course.  You see a destroyer disappear in a cloud of smoke less than 10km from you?  Assume he launched torps, so find some cover or turn your bow directly towards the cloud to minimize the number of hits.  Chasing after a destroyer that you can't see?  Don't sail in a straight line - add some gentle turns to your course every 15 seconds or so.

I found I was getting HE spammed a lot, so I opted for a build that reduced/mitigated fire damage.  Without ASM1, my secondaries are still hitting at 10.1km.  I don't use the flag to extend that range unless I'm playing ranked battles.  I did try using ASM1 for a time, but didn't see much improvement in the main battery accuracy.  You can swap out DCSM2 for Steering Gears Modification 2 if you prefer a more agile battleship.  If torps are still a problem for you, you can also try Target Acquisition System Modification 1 instead of CSM1.

My next captain skill will be Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament.  That, combined with Advanced Firing Training, will make your secondaries absolutely lethal.  You could try swapping out BOS for Basic Firing Training to get even more secondary goodness.  Personally, I like my battleships to be tanks - soak up a few good beatings while your teammates pound away with impunity.  That's why I went with skills like BOS and Superintendent - to stay in the match longer and try to make a difference in the late game.  

Bro get manual secondaries. Watch those secondaries just rip people apart. You're seriously missing out.

I'm sure the OP will find this statement to be very helpful to him. He's trying to improve as a player and gets this... :sceptic:

The OP is an admitted troll.  He's not here to improve, he's here to waste everyone's time.

Play the Bismarck like you would the Mikasa. Kit her out with a completely secondary-based build, go charging into the fray, activate Hydro to avoid torps, and watch as everything around you burns. Don't even bother firing the main guns, the secondaries are simply more powerful.

The OP is an admitted troll.  He's not here to improve, he's here to waste everyone's time.

Yeah well, someone might get some useful hints since they just got a bright shiny Bismarck and don't have a clue what to do with her.

Set the Bismarck up for secondaries and never get focused fired on , best to travel with other ships called... teamplay

If you're going secondaries then aim for the 7 to 10km mark.  If not then aim for around the 12km mark.  Make sure you stay with team mates and know when to turn that large backside around and run.  You can get a pretty good angle to fire off some of your secondaries and still remain protected.  If you worked your way up the tech tree then your dispersion is going to be wonkier then the Gneisenaus.  If you got her off the event then she's going to have some wild dispersion in comparison next to...basically any other BB. 

I can agree with a lot that's been said, I'm a berserker in my German BBs (If you've seen me in my Scharn you know what I mean). I have PM, EM, AR, BFT, and AFT. I'm working on Manuel secondaries.

6C9Hfzj.jpg

1ULgwQB.jpg