Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Warlord_Deadeye_Pete

Friction: A Military Science Primer for Warships.

3 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,478 battles

Yea 'ol Warlords grabb'n the lecturn again for a quick and dirty explanation why yer plans never work, and some ago old wisdom on dealing with it.

So todays subject is "Friction"

ie: resistance.. in war gaming as in the real world its a variable, constantly changing and relatively uncontrollable, though, it can be used toward achieving goals.. That gets all esoteric, and there is always a danger of so over thinking it, that you become the friction.  

A fine example is any sort of mission in game where you have to achieve ohh lets 200 main battery hits... with any Battleship type of some tier/type tier or range of tiers.    So you've got your objective.  You select your ship and dive into a match.. your shooting was excellent, you sunk 3 ships besides..But only managed 28 hits out of 120 rounds fired.  This may take awhile!.That is friction.. The resistance to you achieving your goal. And that's just "that" goal.  Additional and con-current goals can differ dramatically and may even conflict with each other creating even more friction.  

In a match, there's also the goals of 23 other players of which 11 are targets your NOT supposed to shoot and sink! (yes yes, how rude!) Then there is map terrain, and cap placement, and battle type,  and the capabilities of your ship, and the other 23 ships in the match, initial placement...and that's just when it starts.. as the match proceeds all of these factors with chance.. ship and player capabilities with change due to position, and state of thier ship, skills, knowledge, experience... and more..

So ok, you say "Ok, I get it, Frictions is this thing that so big, that you cannot stop it, and such a variable that you cannot plan for it."   

Well, almost. Out there in the real world military tacticians have learned to plan for friction, and how to take advantage of it as a tool of, and for winning battles.  Good planners always have a "Go To Hell" plan which basically amounts to "How fast can I run away!" but keep in mind what your GOHP is depends on the situation of more then just you. And more typically for the game it should be "How can get out of the mess I am in and get myself back into the fight in a more advantageous situation"

You can also cause friction in a match to the opposition.  One of the simplest ways is just by being in their way. a little bit more subtle is slinging torp's that you want seen across area's of water you don't want the other guys to enter, or ships moving to where they can easily mass their firepower together against targets passing through a small zone of a match area.  (usually by grouping together in tight proximity.. which can turn into a bad idea under the wrong situation.. more friction!)

Friction can be created to generate control over achieving task goals.  Generate sufficient friction to an apposing force while keeping friction minimized for your own force is going to be a win.  And the sooner a group of players can do this in a match and keep doing, the better their chances of achieving any goals for the match.

Time to wrap this up.  The  goal was a teach real world quantified, and an understanding of a matter that effect battles in this game, and to suggest a way of considering these factor that will make it easier to quantify them, and adjust, adapt, and over come.   And not just a game thing.   You see it around you every day.  At home, in the workplace, in the news.  Might proove useful to have an awareness of.

Victory in these matches we play have a lot of factors that determine who survives, who doesn't who wins, who looses.  There is not and never will be a "perfect" plan.  Perfection isn't even an option.  Flexibility in thought and action is the real key, and understanding how friction can reduce your flexibility cannot but help to improve your game play, and more as you maintain an awareness of it.  It is how ever work, and no matter how good you ever get at it, when you fight, be mind full of it.  It will bite you on the butt anyway, but maybe not as often, or as painfully!

Warlord sends

"But How Do I?" Not my goal to answer that for you.  You use your eyes.. use your brain.  You have to figure out the details on your own or you won't learn anything,  Real wold stuff man!   

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,187 posts
15,766 battles

The best way to deal with those kinds of missions is to just play to win and whatever you need will come.

[HEROS]
Members
2,094 posts
19,478 battles

Friction is part of every mission, every match. Some times noticeable, some times below the thresh hold of easy awareness.  It both a thing in your way, and a thing to learn how to use. Control the friction effecting your self and your team, increase the friction the opposition must deal with.  Friction a huge thing in this game.  Recognizing it is the first step in managing it, and yes, I do mean MANAGE it.  You cannot eliminate it, but you can learn to make it work for you more effectively by understanding what it is and how it works.

Of course that leads to developing decisiveness.. and the only way to learn to apply that correctly is to go spend yer time on the line applying it In-correctly.

I'm not even going to try with that one, not right away anyway.    It's not something so much taught, as shown by example.  

Sign in to follow this